1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-01-2016, 09:43 PM

Ruger Lightweight 1911 9mm

Anybody else own one of these?

I went into the gun shops with an open mind and a limited (<$1k) budget looking for a new or used 1911. After handling many and testing the ones which felt best in my hands, the Ruger Lightweight SR1911 Commander 9mm was the leader. The feel, fit, finish and overall look was far superior to what I expected in this price range. It truly surprised me.

It wasn't until I got home from the range that I discovered this is a brand new offering from Ruger that just came out in July.

I get to bring it home Wednesday and I must say, I'm excited. I've never looked forward to getting to know a gun like I am in this case.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:49 PM

Congrats, will be anxious to hear some range reports and such
Old 08-01-2016, 10:10 PM

Could you let us know if the dealers are charging close to the MSRP on the Ruger website? The reason I ask is that when I bought my full size SR1911 back in 2012 the dealers were charging anywhere from the MSRP of $749 to $200 below MSRP, which in my opinion was a fair price. Now, the MSRP for that same pistol is $939 and the LW in .45Cal. and 9mm is close to $1000. In your opinion, have they improved the fit and finish to justify that kind of increase? If the dealers are charging close to MSRP it changes the whole ball game for me as it puts a few other brands into the competition for my dollars. I know I have seen them at close to that MSRP in some shops.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flshuter View Post
Could you let us know if the dealers are charging close to the MSRP on the Ruger website? The reason I ask is that when I bought my full size SR1911 back in 2012 the dealers were charging anywhere from the MSRP of $749 to $200 below MSRP, which in my opinion was a fair price. Now, the MSRP for that same pistol is $939 and the LW in .45Cal. and 9mm is close to $1000. In your opinion, have they improved the fit and finish to justify that kind of increase? If the dealers are charging close to MSRP it changes the whole ball game for me as it puts a few other brands into the competition for my dollars. I know I have seen them at close to that MSRP in some shops.
The asking price on the 9mm was the same as the .45, $749. I think current MSRP is $939 on these. The dealer I bought from came down a bit from asking price, but nothing substantial.

As far as quality now vs a few years ago, I do not have relative experience as this is my first 1911. However, I did handle and shoot some used Rugers and I preferred this model. I assume much of that preference is a result of weight and caliber as much as it was improved fit and finish from a few years ago.

The biggest surprise from all this is how reasonably a person can get a 1911 with solid fit and finish, with good looks to boot. Reliability is yet to be determined on a personal level, but most everything I've read is promising. I was afraid any 1911 under $1,200 was junk. The things you read on the net...
Old 08-01-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky one View Post
Congrats, will be anxious to hear some range reports and such
Thanks, sneaky.

I'm no pro, but I can relay my general experience along the way.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old West View Post
The asking price on the 9mm was the same as the .45, $749. I think current MSRP is $939 on these. The dealer I bought from came down a bit from asking price, but nothing substantial.

As far as quality now vs a few years ago, I do not have relative experience as this is my first 1911. However, I did handle and shoot some used Rugers and I preferred this model. I assume much of that preference is a result of weight and caliber as much as it was improved fit and finish from a few years ago.

The biggest surprise from all this is how reasonably a person can get a 1911 with solid fit and finish, with good looks to boot. Reliability is yet to be determined on a personal level, but most everything I've read is promising. I was afraid any 1911 under $1,200 was junk. The things you read on the net...
Thanks for the answer. It's good to hear that some of the dealers are keeping the prices reasonable. I have been extremely satisfied with my SR1911 Govt and my CMD. I have had exactly zero problems of any kind with either. You're right!!! They are NOT junk. I've had the Govt for 4 years and the CMD 3years. I haven't got an exact round count, but put it this way, they're well broken in.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:15 AM

I picked one up yesterday. This was a Davidsons' (galleryofguns.com) gun. Davidsons' cost more, but I gladly pay the premium for their no cost replace warranty. Paid $760 out the door.

Brought it home, disassembled, cleaned, lubed, grabbed some misc reloads and headed for the range. Had read the Gunblast article gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911CMD-9A.htm and the one by Real Guns www.realguns.com/articles/839.htm . However based on my recent experience with the new Colt version (LW Commander 9mm), I wasn’t expecting much -- I ended up being pleasantly surprised.

Every gun I’ve bought recently shoots high for me – the above mentioned Colt was about 6” high at 25 yds and accuracy was in the 3” plus range (with a variety of hand loads and factory ammo). Also, function (FTFs mostly) wasn’t the best with the Colt. Thus, my main interest was to check the new Ruger for function and to see if POA vs POI was acceptable.

We have a plate rack at 25 yds with various sized targets (large rectangle, large and small circles, 2 bowling pins, and a smallish triangle). My first shot was aimed dead center windage, 1/3 up from the bottom of the large rectangle. Was rewarded with a satisfying clang and a downed target (even this target was problematic with the Colt).

Got aggressive with the next shot and aimed dead center on the small triangle and missed, assumed shot was high. Held on the bottom of the triangle and-managed a hit. Shot eighty rounds total (mostly 115gr Rose JHPs w/6.4gr power pistol) everything from 3” shooting tree at 20 yds, the aforementioned plate rack and various other steel all the way out to a full size popper at 70 yards. When I did my part, the results exceeded my expectations. Still need to put the gun on paper and try several loads.

Had a couple of rounds fail to go completely into battery with the handloads (mixed PMC & S&B brass). Slide return seems a bit sluggish to me (same as on the Colt and a Range Officer) – maybe just a 9mm/1911 thing.

Trigger pull is 4.5 lbs +- on my RCBS premium trigger pull scale (spring, not digital).

One last thought -- buying new guns seems to be a crap shoot these days. Sometimes you get a really good one, sometimes not so good. The Colt/Ruger comparison above, could easily switch places with different guns.

FWIW,

Paul
Old 08-02-2016, 09:02 PM

I'm a 45ACP 1911 guy at heart. But I have degenerative disk disease and have real problems with my back. So I need to find lighter weight guns to carry when my back won't let me carry my Colt LW 45ACP Commander. I bought a Ruger LW 9mm Commander two weeks ago Wednesday. Went by one of my local gun stores just to see what was new. Mentioned I was looking for a LW 9mm Commander and they went in the backroom and got the Ruger for me!! They had gotten it 5 days before and hadn't had time to put it out on display. So I bought the only one they had!!! I also bought 4 Wilson 1911 Elite 500-9 10rnd mags for it. So I'll have 11 rnds total in the gun. The fit and finish on this one was very good. It was tight without being too tight. Very well made!

I got to the gun range on Thursday. The Ruger shot just excellent. I shot 150rds of UMC 115gr FMJ without any issues in the Wilson 9mm mags. I loaded 1 in the chamber and 10 in the mag and they all fed and fired with out any problems. I shot 50 rds of 124gr Gold Dots, my carry ammo. As many of you are aware Gold Dots are noted for being a problem in many semi-autos! Not one problem in the Ruger, they all fed without any problems out of the Wilson mags. The target pictures are at 21-25 ft and the targets are the 6" Shoot-N-C. I'm not the best shot anymore, need MORE practice. But it shot to POA at 20-25 ft with a 6 o'clock hold about 2" below the bullseye. As you can see from the targets I have a problem of pushing the gun to the left. I don't get enough of my finger on the trigger and it pushes the gun to the left. I really need to practice my trigger control!! Since the 9mm ammo is much cheaper than 45, I'll be able to get a lot more time in at the range. I'm very happy with the Ruger and it runs great!! I measured the trigger pull Thursday night with my electronic gauge and it ran about 4.5lbs, no grittiness, smooth, and clean break. I like 4lb triggers on my carry guns but the trigger out of the box is very very good. I'm going to leave it for now and see how it does with 1k or so of rounds thru it!!

I made the grips on the Ruger about 7 years ago for a Taurus 1911 I had at the time. I was in the US Army Signal Corp form March/1968 to Nov/1970.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger LW Commander 9mm.jpg   115gr FMJ 20-25 ft.jpg   124gr Gold Dot JHP 20-25 ft.jpg  
Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 PM

I have one. I have shot it once so far. Out of 118 rounds, mostly American Eagle 115 grains, I had one failure to go into battery, I think that was due to a limp wrist shooting the pistol one handed. It shot minute of bad guy, which was all I was shooting for. I used 12 different magazines, no feeding issues from any of them. The Ruger is a lot looser feeling than my Colt LW Commander. Much easier to rack the slide and to engage or disengage the safety on the Ruger.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:20 PM

Hope I get a good one. I bought one online. $715 shipped. Local FFL is charging me $15 for the transfer so $730 total. My normal FFl doesn't charge me anything but he is 45 mins away so saving an hour's drive is worth the $15.
I have a 10 round CMC mag for it already.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:09 PM

I finally got around to shooting mine. I didn't have much time, as I was at a friend of a friend's home and we were focused on shooting clays, but I did manage to quickly shoot four magazines (36 rounds). I had zero issues whatsoever. It went bang and ejected an empty casing every time with Federal 115gr FMJ.

For the first magazine, I took things nice and slow at seven yards and put together a four inch group with one flyer (I'll get better once I get more practice in). The second magazine was seven yards rapid fire and the third and fourth were 10 yards rapid fire. Only two rounds were outside of the 12" target area. For being a novice pistol shooter, I considered it a success for the first outing.

I'm very impressed by this gun.

And for those who care, the Browning Light Twelve was smooth as butter chasing the clays. It's much better than I'll ever be.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:04 PM

I bought one about a month ago. Nice gun. Very nice trigger right out of the box. Great entry level 1911.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:37 PM

Had the LW CMD 9mm out yesterday and again today.

Yesterday, I shot 32 rounds of handloads (6.4gr Power Pistol, 115gr Zero JHP, S&B 1x brass). Was checking point of impact on a freshly painted popper at 25 yds. Three shots you could have covered with a half dollar about 3.5" high and dead center windage. I know more shots would have easily opened up the group but I'll check on paper another time. Towards the end of the session, I had a couple of failures to go completely into battery -- it took a nudge on the back of the slide to fully seat the round.

Today:

I had been experiencing a noticeable hitch in the forward movement of the slide when manually cycling the gun. Thought this might be contributing to "failure to completely go into battery".

I took the gun apart and replaced the factory connector and sear with parts that had been polished as part of an action job on another gun. Also replaced the factory sear spring with one from Cyl and Slide Shop. Didn't change the factory hammer.

Slide cyclying was signifcantly smoother with no "hitch" and the trigger pull was reduce to 3.0 Lbs measured with my RCBS trigger gage.

Shot 95 rounds of PMC 115gr Factory, Federal 124gr Factory and some mixed handloads without a hitch. I still need to put this gun on paper, but it sure seems more accurate than I anticipated.

FWIW,

Paul
Old 08-16-2016, 08:57 AM

Don't have one. But I might in the future. Sold a Kimber 9 about 6 months ago and have all these 9 MM mags laying around.
I didn't even know Ruger made a commander 9 until this weekend. Saw one at a local gun show. Was close to purchasing until I saw how loose the slide to frame fit was. The gun would actually rattle when shook. Trigger was full of grit, but fairly light. I could fix that but my ability as a gun smith does not include tightening slide to frame fit. So I will make sure I get to handle before any purchase of this new Ruger.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:13 PM

I picked mine up today. Fit and finish looks fine. I had no issues loading the magazines by hand. I cycled the mags twice by hand and had no issues. I'll shoot this thing tomorrow night and report back. I think we only have 147gr FMJ and 124gr+P JHP at work so that's what I'll be testing with.

The Chip McCormick 10 round mag sticks out at the bottom a little. Same issue I had with my Wilsons and MecGars on my SIG 1911 Ultra in .45.

Taking it apart now to clean and lube. The recoil spring is very light? Anyone think it should be a little heavier?

Old 08-18-2016, 04:31 AM

Well we were low on ammo. There was only 39 rounds of Winchester 147gr FMJ so I grabbed a 50 round box of Winchester Ranger 124gr +P JHP.

Factory mags were loaded to max once with FMJ and once with JHP. Both functioned perfectly.

The 10 round Chip McCormick mag. Not so good. Had failures to feed with FMJ and JHP. I tried until I ran out of ammo.
I cleaned and lubed the gun and grabbed some dummy rounds when I left the range.

I loaded the CMC mag up with some dummy rounds and hand cycled them. It worked just fine. Did it a few times and had no issues.

Dummy rounds were round nose. The Winchester FMJ and JHP were sort of flat points. I have a bunch of 147gr round nosed FMJ at home. I'll try again this weekend with that ammo. I think I have some 147gr JHP at home as well. I don't have any 115gr to try out. Wondering if that flat point is an issue for the CMC mag.

Also dug through our parts bin. There was a Wilson magwell in there along with a nice set pf Hogue wood grips. I'll have to leave a note of thanks for whoever donated it. We have a donation box on our range. Anything someone doesn't want, they toss it in there in case someone else can use it (We let four other departments use our range).

I'll report back after the weekend. My 8 round .45 CMC mag works perfectly so I'm wondering if my 9mm CMC mag is bad. I'll run another box each through the factory mags to make sure they are still good as well.

I want to get this broken in before I suppress it.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:30 PM

I put another 200 through mine today. I too thought that the factory recoil spring seemed a little light. I put a 14# Wolff in it before today's range session.
Also tried some 9 round mec-gar mags today. They worked fine and load a little easier that the factory mags.
The mec-gar do not have a skirted follower like the factory mags. Is that an issue with these guns?? I assume with the ramped barrel the follower design should not matter.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:58 PM

I am still looking. The one I saw was $759 at a LGS a week or so ago but the fit and finish could be better. With guns in this price range I know the next one or the one after that will be very nice.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:12 AM

Mine was $715 shipped with a $15 transfer fee so $730.
For those getting the gun locally look at the color of the frame. There's been variations in color. I wish mine was darker.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:12 PM

The new Ruger SR1911 Lightweight CMD in 9mm is a great shooter.

I purchased a Ruger SR1911 Lightweight CMD 9mm two weeks ago from Grabagun.com for $695. It was delivered to my FFL in 3 days. This 9mm SR1911 CMD shoots as good as the original SR1911 5". I fired 100 rounds with no failure to feed. Sights are dead-on at 10 yards, 25ft, and 15ft. The slide is easy to rack and mussel flip is non-existent. The trigger pull is very light with a short reset.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:12 PM

I gave up on the CMC mag. They asked me to do a bunch of things which I did and sent in the videos of me doing them. CMC had me send it in for them to test. I ordered a Wilson mag to try. I'm waiting to get a MecGar mag in as well. I might have to give up and just stick with 9 round mags.

The CMC mag would constantly do this on the first 3 rounds with dummy rounds and live rounds.
I also stuck some wood grips on mine. Not liking the grayish frame. I might have to get it redone in black.

Last edited by Chowser; 08-24-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:34 PM

I took my 9mm to the range twice this week. I'm up to 700 rounds now. No issues.
I've tried most major brands of fmj. Even fired 100 rounds of independence aluminum today.
So far, Critical defense, sig 124 jhp, and Winchester 124 jhp all have worked well.
I'm considering changing sights, but otherwise, I'm pretty happy.

Last edited by Jeffw78; 08-25-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:08 PM

Tested a 10 round Wilson Combat magazine yesterday.
Worked perfectly.

I used:
50 rounds Winchester 147gr FMJ.
50 rounds Freedom Munitions American Steel 115gr FMJ
50 rounds Winchester Ranger 124gr +P JHP

And I can't stand the color so I'm going to redo the frame in black.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:27 PM

I picked one up yesterday. The cursory inspection didn't reveal any flaws at the store... but after getting it home and doing a disassemble/clean/inspect/lube before shooting it the first time, some pretty significant "chatter" marks were found on the lands in the barrel. This is on every land, and for the length of the rifling. The funk from their test firing and dim lighting in the store made it easy to miss. My heart sank after seeing this, that's for sure.
The crown looks acceptable and I believe that is much more detrimental to an accurate gun, so thought it can't hurt to see how it shoots.... and in the past I've run into some flawed barrels that shot exceptionally well as long as the crown was cut right.

Only had time to run into the desert for a quick test fire... which involved Federal 115 FMJ and PPU 115 FMJ. Shot about 3" high at 15 yds with the Fed, and the PPU was terrible grouping so couldn't determine POA/POI . The Federal groups shows promise, but still not what I would expect at only 15 yds and from a rest.

I will give it a try with some 124 gr CCI Lawman and a few premium loads before I decide to take a little road trip to Prescott and hand it off in person.

I swore off Ruger a while back because of quality control issues concerning a limited run Lipsey 44 sp. stainless flattop and an earlier GP100 problem, but decided to give them a try again, with such an appealing piece as this seemed. My Browning HP's are still safe from being "replaced" at this point in the carry rotation!

I hope it likes other loads better, and I don't have to deal with the drama of returning it... we shall see. Functioning wise, it ran flawlessly for the limited amount of rounds.... and piled the brass in a nice little pile 3 ft to the right/rear.
For those thinking the recoil spring is light, consider that the hammer spring is factored in/designed to slow slide velocity when cycling.... and distance of ejected brass is a good indication of adequate spring strength.

Sometimes all a heavier recoil spring does is increase slide "return" velocity to much... and can cause accelerated wear on locking lugs.... just my 2 cents.
I will update this week after a variety of ammo is used.

Last edited by azdave357; 08-29-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:17 AM

I have one on the way, hope to have it in hand by late week and give it a workout Saturday morning. I'll report back with a range report.