Brand New EMP 3" 9mm, broken ejector - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-23-2020, 11:11 AM

Brand New EMP 3" 9mm, broken ejector

Well I picked this gun up two days ago, and it only survived 47 rounds of 9mm FMJ ammunition. On the last round it felt perfectly normal, nothing weird, and then all of a sudden it had a failure to feed. The ejector had snapped off and the piece was blocking the new cartridge from going into battery.

Keep in mind that this particular gun came with the ejector already pinned, so it seems like Springfield has listened to everyone that was having them come loose and just pinned it to begin with.

What I did notice from the beginning though is that I could never insert a fully loaded magazine with one in the chamber. It stopped about 1mm short of fully seating in the magwell. What I suspect was happening was that the ejector was touching the rounds as they were in the mags, and the pressure on the cheap MIM ejector snapped it off quickly. I didn't drop the slide on an empty chamber, I didn't slam the magazines home, but I did push pretty hard on one to see if it would seat. After that I just downloaded one round so it would seat.

Anyone else have this happen? I've seen a couple other broken ejector threads so I think I may take a dremel to the bottom of the new one if it has the same issue, or just send it back to Springfield again if I have to.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:37 PM

Contact SA customer service, they will fix it and troubleshoot it to see what is going on.
DO NOT take a dremel tool to the pistol or you will void the factory warranty.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:37 PM

Send it to Springfield have them fix it . Yes it probably needed to be adjusted from
the start .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2020, 02:46 PM

Yeah I'm going to send it back to them, hopefully they will get it replaced and adjusted right. The LGS I bought it from has an in-house gunsmith that wants to just replace the part himself but I'm going to make sure they just ship it to SA.

I hadn't thought about voiding the warranty by shaving down the ejector, but yeah I'm sure that probably would void it.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrames1911 View Post
Yeah I'm going to send it back to them, hopefully they will get it replaced and adjusted right. The LGS I bought it from has an in-house gunsmith that wants to just replace the part himself but I'm going to make sure they just ship it to SA.

I hadn't thought about voiding the warranty by shaving down the ejector, but yeah I'm sure that probably would void it.
Why not ship it yourself?
Call Springfield they will give you a Fedex label and return it to you when done.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post
Quote:

Why not ship it yourself?
Call Springfield they will give you a Fedex label and return it to you when done.
I didn't realize that was an option, I'll have to look into it. I live in California so I feel like I'll probably have to do it through an FFL though.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize that was an option, I'll have to look into it. I live in California so I feel like I'll probably have to do it through an FFL though.
Nope. Just give customer service a call and they will walk you thru it
Old 02-25-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post
Quote:
Nope. Just give customer service a call and they will walk you thru it
Oh ok will do.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:46 PM

I live in CA and have shipped guns to SA several times. They make it so easy and turnaround is quick. They email you detailed instructions; all you need to do is find a box and drop it off at a FedEx facility. They will ship it back to your house. When FedEx asks what you are shipping tell them it's machine parts - not all their staff are 2A friendly.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:00 PM

SA will return it to you at your house, just need an adult to sign when it arrives.
They emailed me the day before so that I was home to receive it.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingles View Post
I live in CA and have shipped guns to SA several times. They make it so easy and turnaround is quick. They email you detailed instructions; all you need to do is find a box and drop it off at a FedEx facility. They will ship it back to your house. When FedEx asks what you are shipping tell them it's machine parts - not all their staff are 2A friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
SA will return it to you at your house, just need an adult to sign when it arrives.
They emailed me the day before so that I was home to receive it.
Good to know, that makes it really easy. At least Springfield apparently has really good customer support.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:38 PM

One should check to see if ammo is touching the ejector with a mag inserted. The high end 1911's have the ejector ground away so the ammo doesn't touch. I have done this on my EMP, my Sig Sauer guns, etc.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:03 PM

When you get it back, take the slide off and insert a magazine.
First empty, look for contact between magazine and ejector with the mag held all the way in.
Then loaded, look for contact between the top round and ejector. (This is what broke the extra long ejector in my Colt 9mm.)

File to clear.
Do not expect diagnosis, fitting, or testing beyond installation of a duplicate replacement part by the warranty clerk.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:11 PM

As of 2017 SA customer service told me via phone call that when they work on a 1911 for warranty they did assemble it and inspect.
Be sure to identify any and all problems or observations.
I sent in a loaded stainless because the serial numbers were too shallow and difficult to read. When new it was frosted but through use b came difficult to read all the numerals.
So I added that the safety was too easy to sweep off.
They disassemble and removed the plunger tube to deepen the serial number.
Also "adjusted or fit the manual safety. Added a new plunger tube plungers and spring .

Last edited by OttoLoader; 02-27-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmissone View Post
One should check to see if ammo is touching the ejector with a mag inserted. The high end 1911's have the ejector ground away so the ammo doesn't touch. I have done this on my EMP, my Sig Sauer guns, etc.
So I did this even before it broke and yes the ammo is contacting the ejector, and hard. It's enough to leave a good sized indentation on the back 2mm of the casing, as well as it pushes the top round down a little and forward, as you can see in the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
When you get it back, take the slide off and insert a magazine.
First empty, look for contact between magazine and ejector with the mag held all the way in.
Then loaded, look for contact between the top round and ejector. (This is what broke the extra long ejector in my Colt 9mm.)

File to clear.
Do not expect diagnosis, fitting, or testing beyond installation of a duplicate replacement part by the warranty clerk.
The mag itself doesn't touch the ejector, but it's impossible to insert a fully loaded magazine with one in the chamber and have it actually function. I had the gunsmith at the shop I bought it from throw a new ejector in it and it still has that problem(obviously since it's the same part).

I don't know if I really want to file away on some part of a self defense pistol, I'm hoping if whatever they end up doing back in Illinois doesn't work that they will replace the pistol. But I doubt it.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200304-184951_1583419377287.png  
Old 03-05-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
some manufacturers specifically say to use only plain round nose FMJ bullets for the first several 00s shots... not that it is related to your troubles, but why'd you break it in using hollow points ?