Purchasing a Dillon RL550c - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 04:24 PM

Purchasing a Dillon RL550c

Ok, so everyone seemed to talk me out of the Lee Classic 4 hole and I'm going to get the Dillon 550c. I was originally thinking about the SDB, but I would like to eventually do rifle cartridges.

I found one on Scheels, seems to come with a lot of accessories that you would need to purchase separately straight from Dillon. Thoughts? Do you need to purchase other items that aren't included to start reloading outside of dies? Any other places that are comparable or cheaper?

https://www.scheels.com/p/dillon-pre...982420252.html
Old 02-11-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Picture is shown with add-on accessories that are NOT included. This requires a Dillon Caliber Conversion kit (sold separately) and standard die sets for each caliber (sold separately).

Features:

Powder measure with standard large and small powder bars (small installed) Small bar throws from 2.1 to 15 grains of powder Large bar throws up to 55 to 60 grains of powder.
One prime system with large and small priming parts.
One large and one small pickup tube
One toolhead
One powder die
One loaded cartridge catch bin
One written instruction manual
One set of standard Allen wrenches
Looks like exactly what came with mine from Dillon.

Either way, great choice- I think you'll be amazed when you get it. And you will [very quickly] realize this was a much better choice than the lee option you mentioned.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:05 PM

I'm starting to load on a 550.

I also have done a lot of loading on a single stage and a turret in the past.

My advice since you are new to reloading and want to move from a single stage to something faster would be to go with the Lee Classic Turret first. You can always sell it later or keep it setup for a single caliber.

There is a lot more room for error on the 550 since there is a lot more going on at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 05:09 PM

Actually, the press from Scheels does not include a caliber conversion kit for the price stated. If you go directly to the Dillon website, you can pick one up with the conversion kit for $509. I have always gone directly through Dillon. They don't care where you buy it though, still a no BS guarantee.
Anyway, including the conversion kit is the only difference that I noticed.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
Quote:
Picture is shown with add-on accessories that are NOT included. This requires a Dillon Caliber Conversion kit (sold separately) and standard die sets for each caliber (sold separately).

Features:

Powder measure with standard large and small powder bars (small installed) Small bar throws from 2.1 to 15 grains of powder Large bar throws up to 55 to 60 grains of powder.
One prime system with large and small priming parts.
One large and one small pickup tube
One toolhead
One powder die
One loaded cartridge catch bin
One written instruction manual
One set of standard Allen wrenches
Looks like exactly what came with mine from Dillon.

Either way, great choice- I think you'll be amazed when you get it. And you will [very quickly] realize this was a much better choice than the lee option you mentioned.
Ah thank you, knew I wasnt seeing everything. So 480 not including tax. If I order from Dillon, didn't look like you pay tax, but you pay shipping, so you save $20 going through Scheels...
Old 02-11-2020, 05:42 PM

That is a good price at Scheel's, the same direct from Dillon is $457 plus shipping, from my zip code shipping is $28.
You will have to buy a caliber conversion for each cartridge you load, the caliber kits have a shell plate, brass buttons, and powder funnel. The conversion kits are $50 each. After you get a few conversion kits you can sometimes mix or match parts for other calibers. I load for 223 Rem and 9MM Lugar, I can use the shell plate and buttons from the 223 and powder funnel from the 9MM and load 380.
I have the strong mount, roller handle, and bullet tray on my 550. They are not essential but to me worth the cost.
Reloading dies I have Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, and Lee and they all work.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodII View Post
That is a good price at Scheel's, the same direct from Dillon is $457 plus shipping, from my zip code shipping is $28.
You will have to buy a caliber conversion for each cartridge you load, the caliber kits have a shell plate, brass buttons, and powder funnel. The conversion kits are $50 each. After you get a few conversion kits you can sometimes mix or match parts for other calibers. I load for 223 Rem and 9MM Lugar, I can use the shell plate and buttons from the 223 and powder funnel from the 9MM and load 380.
I have the strong mount, roller handle, and bullet tray on my 550. They are not essential but to me worth the cost.
Reloading dies I have Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, and Lee and they all work.
So I just looked again, shipped to my door with just the loader and conversion from Dillon is $586. Same thing on Scheels is 520ish, considerable savings. The mount would be really nice and I've been seeing a lot of aftermarket billet aluminum heads and 3d printed bullet trays on eBay for fairly cheap. Anyone tried aftermarket accessories?
Old 02-11-2020, 06:38 PM

I'd like to politely disagree with a post above- going from a single stage to a 550 is perfect. You already know what each station should do and if you can read simple instructions for set up, you will be fine from the start.

I started on a 550 - having never loaded before and not having anyone to help me... just following the instructions and being able to read a set of calipers, I was loading quality ammo in about an hour. My only previous experience was reading a loading manual to familiarize myself with the processes in each step.

I'd call Dillon- they will walk you through what you need and may match the price you are seeing at Scheels.

As for aftermarket items- I have a bunch of Inline fab gear- not cheap but superb stuff and worth more than the ask. The Dillon bullet tray is tops, solid aluminum, coated to match. I like the Inline fab mount or quick change mount, and the double bin holders. Also a few "bin dams" are worth having. The roller handle is nice but I loaded a few thousand rounds before trying it... I like it but could have easily kept on with the ball handle. (assuming you either lube brass or rinse with AA Wash & Wax)

Fond memories of starting out- make me want to go upstairs tonight and load a few hundred!
Old 02-11-2020, 06:44 PM

forgot to mention that I did buy several new tool heads from Jofer on ebay and they are great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more if needed.

I little tighter fitting than the Dillon toolheads and cheaper. (and color choices are nice to tell them apart)

But I will repeat this- you can load comfortably and load fantastic ammo, just as your press arrives from Dillon..... some of the upgrades are really nice but most are just convenience.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I'd like to politely disagree with a post above- going from a single stage to a 550 is perfect. You already know what each station should do and if you can read simple instructions for set up, you will be fine from the start.
^ this is the same opinion I have.

If you are learning just put one case in the shell plate at a time and go through the stations until the loaded round drops out, then add another case.

Doing it this way allows you to load just as slowly and with as many strokes it would take you on a turret. Once you get the hang of it you can add a case with each stroke and get a finished round with each stroke, without having to buy a completely different press.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:09 PM

Great choice, Slattin.

I think you'll be mighty pleased.

https://www.titanreloading.com/dillo...dillon-rl-550c

I lucked out and Titan Reloading was having one of their periodic Dillon Daze sales when I bought my 550C from therm. Saved a few bucks.

I've bought other gear from Titan and always been pleased with their swift service and pricing.

Another recommendation I will make for mounting system and other related gear are the fine folks at Inline Fabrication. Family business making super products.

https://inlinefabrication.com

Their UltraMount and lighting systems may be very helpful for you.

Good luck, man.

Hope you get set up and rolling them out soon.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:13 PM

I am a huge fan of Dillon and particularly the 550. Mine is a B model and I have loaded over 10,000 rounds with it in the last 12 years.

I would recommend you get all of the extras listed and shown on the Dillon website. All of it is very useful and makes the process more efficient. I would also recommend you buy directly from Dillon.

Dillon also has some great video tutorials on setting up your press and using it. Highly recommended as well. I bought Quick Change kits for my most used calibers; 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP. You can change calibers in a couple of minutes with those.

Great machine. Enjoy!

Old 02-11-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_byf View Post
I'm starting to load on a 550.

I also have done a lot of loading on a single stage and a turret in the past.

My advice since you are new to reloading and want to move from a single stage to something faster would be to go with the Lee Classic Turret first. You can always sell it later or keep it setup for a single caliber.

There is a lot more room for error on the 550 since there is a lot more going on at once.
I appreciate the insight. This is definitely my first go around loading pistol. Since I've had my single stage, I've loaded around 700 rounds so far. I actually got my start loading 12ga on a Mec Jr. My brother and I would shoot trap 3x a week in high school. We got a grabber later on, so the mechanics of a progressive aren't new.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:04 AM

How could I forget the most important accessory... a skylight or ufo light!!
Old 02-12-2020, 07:47 AM

^^^^^^^ yes, a sky light is highly recommended. Inline fabrication makes a great product.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt1911a11 View Post
^^^^^^^ yes, a sky light is highly recommended. Inline fabrication makes a great product.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:51 PM

Great choice! I still have my Lee Classic Turret mounted next to my 550C but have not touched it since I started using the 550.

The 550 does come with a lot, however, it doesn't come with EVERYTHING you need. Of course, you will need a caliber conversion kit and dies for each caliber that you want to load, but you will also need a scale and load data. Pretty much everybody will tell you to get a manual, and then to get another one (different manuals will have slightly different information in them and if you get one from a bullet manufacturer, it will tend to focus on their bullets). Personally, I have a manual from Speer and another one from Lee, but I also go to the web sites of the powder and bullet manufacturers and download their load data as well.

As you add calibers, you will definitely want to get additional tool heads so that you do not have to keep removing and the resetting dies in the same tool head. I have all Dillon tool heads so I can not comment on quality of the after market ones that are available.

What I did was just get the Quick Change Assembly for each caliber I reload. This includes the tool head, powder measure, powder die and tool head stand. At $121.00 it is not cheap, but if you are going to get all of that anyway, you end up saving about $40.00. Since I wanted to have a separate powder measure setup for each of the calibers, it was worth it to me. So, for each caliber I load, I have the Quick Change Assembly, the Caliber Conversion kit and the die set.

If you have the $$, I think Dillon is definitely the way to go and wish I had been able to afford it when I first started out. As it is, I went through all of the less expensive alternatives and still ended up with the Dillon anyway .
Old 02-12-2020, 03:12 PM

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/dillo...nd-accessories
$489 with cc
Great folks to deal with, super fast shipping. Bought my super 1050 from them.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:41 PM

So if I wanted to load both 9mm and 45acp, I would need each set of dies (easy part) then I would need a conversion set of each at the minimum? But if I didn't want to change the powder settings or screw out/in dies, I would need the quick change assembly along with conversion set for each caliber? This is the slightly confusing part
Old 02-12-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
I'd like to politely disagree with a post above- going from a single stage to a 550 is perfect. You already know what each station should do and if you can read simple instructions for set up, you will be fine from the start....
Exactly. Buying an interim turret press would be an absolute waste of money.

Buy the 550 and dive in.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slattin View Post
So if I wanted to load both 9mm and 45acp, I would need each set of dies (easy part) then I would need a conversion set of each at the minimum? But if I didn't want to change the powder settings or screw out/in dies, I would need the quick change assembly along with conversion set for each caliber? This is the slightly confusing part
Yes, you need a set of dies and a caliber conversion kit for both 9mm and 45ACP. That is all that is required, but that alone would require removing and resetting your dies and powder measure with each change.

The sweet set up is a tool head with a powder measure devoted to it, remove the whole works at a time and slide in another set up just like it. But, that's very expensive and I only use it for my two most used calibers.

A reasonable compromise that I use for everything else, is to buy a tool head and a powder die for each additional caliber. This allows you to keep your dies set up on the tool head, and keeps your flare setting at the powder measure station.

You can go one step further if you wish, and buy a powder bar for each caliber. This allows you to keep your powder settings, by simply changing the powder bar, which is quick and easy to do. A nice compromise between keeping you settings and having a quick change over, without the expense of a separate powder measure.

Winston Churchill: Madam, If I were your husband, I would drink it.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slattin View Post
To change calibers (without a bunch of hassle) you should IMO buy a dedicated tool head, set of dies and caliber conversion (the shellplate and pins and powder funnel) per caliber. You can easily share the powder measure... it takes under a minute to swap it over by loosening two allen bolts. If you prefer to dedicate a powder measure, it just takes buying another.

The 550 is a super versatile machine and you can buy as much convenience as you want.

I have multiple powder measures but actually prefer sharing the powder measure between toolheads because I bought the micrometer from UT http://uniquetek.com/product/T1231 Setup is so easy and consistent, it's worth the minute to swap the powder measure to the new tool head.

There is also a 2 minute shortcut to swapping primer sizes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1CvjA7UmA
Old 02-12-2020, 07:28 PM

I had 8 overhead lights in my reloading room already but the kmssquared ufo lights really light up the irks in progress.

As far as other “up grades”, I would use it stock for at least long enough you know how it works as delivered from the factory in base form.

If nothing else, it will give you an understanding of what modifications actually improve your experience vs ones that make it worse, you wouldn’t know if a change negatively effected it, if you change things without using the original.

Had I not don’t that myself I might still be using roller handles and strong mounts...
Old 02-13-2020, 06:11 AM

Slattin, take a look on the Dillon website for the “Quick Change” assembly for the 550C. Some of us using the complete tool head have not changed a pet load for years! Just pop in the new one, adjust primer size and shell plate if necessary, verify charge weight and go to town.......this can start to get expensive though. I think at minimum, you should at least just buy a second toolhead. Changing dies all the time sucks.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:18 AM

My 1st thought... “Why didn’t I get this 40 years ago!”

Enjoy!