Shooting 9mm Major - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 10:59 AM

Shooting 9mm Major

Hello. I just starting working in my STI Combat master in my rotation. I'd like to incorporate the 9mm Major. Does anyone have any experience with this round and in relation to the STI combat master? I noticed there's multiple brands, grains, and other options. Does any have any recommendations as to what I should look into.
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-21-2020, 02:29 PM

"I just starting working in my STI Combat master in my rotation."

What do you mean? EDC/Competition?

Smiles,
Old 02-22-2020, 10:02 AM

I shoot UPL but yes competition shooting. They're going to start implementing more rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 11:27 AM
More Cowbell...

9 major in a pistol without a comp is going to be a handful and not fun for your elbows.

Is there any reason why you want to reload to 9mm +P+ levels?
Old 02-22-2020, 01:29 PM

I looked at UPL rules. I see no place for 9mm Major. Do you expect a change?

USPSA allows 9mm Major only in Open; normally guns with scopes and comps. A gun without would be at a great disadvantage.

IDPA does not allow 9mm Major at all.

Last edited by Jim Watson; 02-22-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:08 PM

I shoot a lot of unofficial 2 gun matches where 9mm major would be helpful on steel that requires a little more stopping power.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:27 PM

Buffalo Bore and Underwood sell +P+ that closely approaches Major.
Lots of discussion of overloads for USPSA Open guns on Benos.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:26 AM

9mm Major loads.....

I recently built an STI 2011 using an STI Tru Bore .355" five inch barrel. The barrel came short chambered and I used a finishing reamer to add free bore to the barrel....I added a bit more free bore than usual, since this would help to reduce peak pressure using hot 9mm Major loads.

I did quite a bit of experimentation to find a load that shoots good, and offers good sight tracking. I use a .355" diameter 124 gr. JHP bullet from Precision Delta, loaded with 7.4 grains of HS-6 powder, and it makes an average 168 power factor in my USPSA racegun with excellent accuracy. I chronographed my loads and they leave the muzzle at an average of 1,360 fps. I would recommend when working up a load, starting with a much lower powder charge until you find the desired result.....your barrel may not even shoot the loads I use accurately, since no barrels are exactly alike.....
Old 02-25-2020, 04:28 AM

IDPA and 9mm Major loads.....

Quote:
IDPA does not allow 9mm Major at all.
I don't believe IDPA has a "maximum" power for any particular load in any gun division. They do have established minimum power loads for different divisions, called "power factor," so people do not gain a competitive advantage using very light loads. Power factor is simply the weight of the bullet multiplied by the velocity.

I believe the ammo used in IDPA for the ESP and Production divisions requires a minimum power factor of 125,000.....so a 125 grain bullet would require a velocity of 1,000 fps from the muzzle...… Unless the rules have changed in IDPA, the CDP division requires a min. power factor of 165,000. For CDP a 230 grain bullet travelling at 720 fps from the muzzle will make slightly over a 165,000 PF.

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 02-25-2020 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manniyack View Post
I shoot a lot of unofficial 2 gun matches where 9mm major would be helpful on steel that requires a little more stopping power.
You can shoot 9 Major if you prefer, but unless you shoot USPSA Open you are at a disadvantage with 9 Major. Standard 9mm is the most common load for 3Gun and the steel should be calibrated for it.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 02-25-2020, 07:51 AM

Youíll just need to change out your recoil spring to a heavier rate. I havenít shot major out of my CM but shooting Major out of any properly set up gun isnít a problem.

Here is some factory produced ammo. https://www.google.com/amp/s/atlanta...147gr-jhp.html

Last edited by Descartian; 02-25-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I don't believe IDPA has a "maximum" power for any particular load in any gun division.
Better I should have said IDPA does not recognize 9mm Major, the only f165 there is .45 ACP in CDP.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:00 AM

Maybe rules have changed to make the 9mm major easier to deal with but I shot a 40 s&w 165gr at 1050 fps durring the last 6 years of uspsa and that might still make the grade today and its easy on the shooter with out the issues with 9mm major specially if you reload .
Old 02-29-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Maybe rules have changed to make the 9mm major easier to deal with but I shot a 40 s&w 165gr at 1050 fps durring the last 6 years of uspsa and that might still make the grade today and its easy on the shooter with out the issues with 9mm major specially if you reload .
You shoot open or limited? For open division, the reduced capacity of a 40 can be a handicap on some courses of fire.

I think the 38 super comp guns may run a little better, but I see an awful lot of people running 9 major without any problems.

As noted above, 9 major is only recognized in open and revolver divisions.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:30 PM

pat Last time I shoot a match it was limited but I guess also never took uspsa as seriously as some do . I always found light 40sw gave me faster slit times than 9mm major and if you can juggle mag changes correctly a 40sw not a bad choice . Just not the HOT thang today I guess .
Old 03-04-2020, 03:23 PM

Just get a .38 Super and be done with it.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-06-2020, 02:52 PM

I haven't loaded any 9mm to major PF but I've been told by those who do that the brass only lasts for 2 or 3 reloads. Me personally, I'd explore other options, mentioned above, before pursuing 9mm major.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:33 AM

9mm major for USPSA

I still enjoy shooting USPSA, and have been for over 35 years. The majority of that time was using the .38 super cartridge which worked very well. However, the 9mm Major load in the Open division has become popular, and can be safely used in properly built Open guns.

Last year I fitted and replaced a worn out .38 super barrel with an STI 2011 Tru Bor barrel which I chamber reamed for the 9mm cartridge. The gun shoots great and just as good as my former .38 super loads for accuracy and reliability. The major advantage of shooting 9mm Major is I no longer worry about picking up my brass, since I have a constant supply of free 9mm brass from my local range.....most shooters with 9mm guns don't pick up their fired cases and leave their 9mm brass on the range.....which I pick up whenever possible.
Finding .38 super brass at my range is rare, and I use to constantly purchase new Starline .38 super brass. .38 super brass from Starline is 15 cents each, and now that I am shooting 9mm Major, my brass is free.....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 03-07-2020 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:55 PM

You really don't want to be shooting 9mm Major out of a non-comped barrel. The whole idea behind 9mm major is to use the extra gas volume to work the comp and control recoil.

That said, IF you want to pursue it, the following powders are the best to use:

WIN Autocomp
Hodgden CFE Pistol (very close to Autocomp in specs.)
Hodgdon HS-6
Ramshot True Blue
Ramshot Silhouette

Start at the recommended load and work your way up by slowly increasing the powder charge and checking with a chrono, while watching for pressure signs like flattened or cratered primers.

My personal load for my USPSA Open gun is 7gr Autocomp with a 124gr Montana Gold CMJ and CCI small rifle primer. Remember though, I not only have a comp, but also three popple-holes in my barrel! I'd start at more like 6.2gr if you're using a non-comped gun.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 03-13-2020, 01:15 PM
1911 Aficionado

"9mm Major, 124 grains, 1425 feet per second."

I have not found any load data for 1400fps, let alone 1425; is anyone loading that hot?
Attached Thumbnails
7-charon-john-wick-1435161205.jpg  
Old 03-14-2020, 05:06 AM

9mm loads using 124 gr. bullets with a MV of 1,425 fps.

I have never heard of anyone using that load, since with a 124 gr. bullet, a velocity of slightly over 1,330 fps from the muzzle will make Major power factor in USPSA. I know some people that use 130gr jacketed bullets to make 9mm Major, and the muzzle velocity has to be over 1,269 fps or higher....

A person may be able to use a 115 gr bullet at 1,435 fps or higher from the muzzle to make Major with a lighter bullet....I would recommend small rifle primers for that load.....
Old 03-14-2020, 03:36 PM
1911 Aficionado

That sounds about right.
9x23 WIN could do 1450 with a 124, but that was at 45k psi.