Purchasing a Dillon RL550c - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-22-2020, 07:53 AM

Same boat brother! I wrestled with the inexpensive red stuff for a couple of decades. Within ten minutes of using a 550 I was pissed at the time I had wasted with that stuff. $300 more for 20+ years of painless loading? Iíd say itís worth it, not to mention the ruined ammo that piled up!
Old 02-22-2020, 10:05 AM

I started reloading three years ago with a new Dillon 550B. Order the strong mount, bullet tray, bin bracket and tool bracket with the press. I recommend the Inline Fabrication roller lever and LED light as must haves.
This is a amazingly simple loader to learn and operate. I have an entire large primer system for quick changeover, although I sometimes think about another 550.....
To this point I have loaded about 20k rounds.

Last year I started wet tumbling brass, originally with pins. I stopped using pins to increase brass capacity and the result is equally good.
Wet tumbled brass keeps the primer mechanism so much cleaner which increases reliability. Between wet rumpled brass and case lube the press is clean and smooth running.

One more thing, make sure your loading bench is stable. I leveled and bolted the bench to the wall, really reduced COAL variance even with mixed brass!
Good luck.

Last edited by JJM7288; 02-22-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:26 AM

If you haven't already jumped in...

The Strong Mount is not a convenience item. For most installations it is the difference between sitting or standing to load. I sit at the 550, stand at the 1050.

A tool head for each set of dies is a great convenience and not expensive.

A dedicated powder measure for each caliber is convenient but rather expensive.
One of the several manual knobs for the powder bar will speed up the twiddling to change loads. I understand that Dillon thinks it is safer to require a wrench to turn an un-graduated bolt for powder settings, but it is an annoyance to me. I have the old brass MR Dial but there are several sorts on ebay for $6 and up. I'd be tempted by the Armanov but it costs $38.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slattin View Post
So if I wanted to load both 9mm and 45acp, I would need each set of dies (easy part) then I would need a conversion set of each at the minimum? But if I didn't want to change the powder settings or screw out/in dies, I would need the quick change assembly along with conversion set for each caliber? This is the slightly confusing part
Ok let's make this a bit easier. First which do you shoot more 9mm or .45? whatever that is, start with it. Get set up and start loading. Then get the caliber conversion for the second cartridge. and a second tool head. Changing the powder measure from one tool head to the other is very simple. If you take a look at a loading manual you will notice there is not a great difference in powder charges from one cartridge to the other making adjustments to the powder measure very minor. As an example two of my favorite loads are 4.7 grains of Tite Group and a 230gr plated for the .45 and coincidently 4.7 grains of Power Pistol and a 147gr. JHP in the 9MM. Now the setting on the powder measure for both are not exactly the same but the adjustment is VERY minor. the one thing I would suggest you purchase from the start are extra primer feed tubes. Before you start loading fill 5 of those tubes with primers and when the low primer alarm sounds pick up a filled tube dispense the primers and keep going. It really speeds up the process. 500 rounds per session is my upper limit before fatigue sets in so that is why I load 5 tubes at a time. Hope this simplifies things a bit. All of the accessories are nice and help speed up the process but are NOT essential to loading good quality ammo.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Same boat brother! I wrestled with the inexpensive red stuff for a couple of decades. Within ten minutes of using a 550 I was pissed at the time I had wasted with that stuff. $300 more for 20+ years of painless loading? Iíd say itís worth it, not to mention the ruined ammo that piled up!
As I get older and less patient, less desire to 'fiddle' with things, (not to mention a couple more disposable dollars), I'm looking to get a Dillon, a 550c seems to fit the bill.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:27 PM

550 rocks, simple, easy and accurate reloading.

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 02-23-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
As I get older and less patient, less desire to 'fiddle' with things, (not to mention a couple more disposable dollars), I'm looking to get a Dillon, a 550c seems to fit the bill.
Youíll not be disappointed. Those that shoot a pretty high volume jump up in the ranks with the more elaborate equipment, bullet/case feeders and the like, but a stock 550 does a very nice job.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:28 PM

So I was able to pick up a almost brand new 550B for $200, all I needed to get are dies, conversion kit, powder die and the Strong mount. So far in it a total $320 for the complete setup. I'll be getting the rest of the parts this week and hopefully be loading this weekend.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:14 AM

Great deal......
Old 02-24-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
So I was able to pick up a almost brand new 550B for $200
What you can't see through your screen is...

JEALOUSY!!!! Great find!
Old 02-24-2020, 05:15 PM

Yup, I would have snapped it up too. I only find deals like that after I have bought something!!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:38 PM

I almost bought a SD 9mm for $325, glad I didn't. I'll post pics once I get all the parts and everything setup
Old 02-29-2020, 02:51 PM

Good choice, but I didn't see a scale listed in your inventory. Mine is a Hornady digital scale, not cheap, but sure works well. I cheated a little, and have Lee Auto Drum measures on three loading blocks...works for me, and very reasonable. The Dillon measure still does its job on two calibers though...
Old 03-01-2020, 11:01 AM

I've been contemplating buying a Dillon 550b, recently moved, got my presses out, the Lee Loadmaster started giving me grief, (yes, it's not the first time), re-did a few things, loaded 1,000 rounds, evenly split between 9mm and 45acp...not a single problem, flipped primer, NOTHING, it must know!
Old 03-01-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldspad View Post
Good choice, but I didn't see a scale listed in your inventory. Mine is a Hornady digital scale, not cheap, but sure works well. I cheated a little, and have Lee Auto Drum measures on three loading blocks...works for me, and very reasonable. The Dillon measure still does its job on two calibers though...
I think he already has a single stage, so he should already have a scale and most of the other toys.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldspad View Post

I think he already has a single stage, so he should already have a scale and most of the other toys.
You are correct. I actually have two scales, Rcbs beam and the lyman digital. I use both when calibrating my powder drop to make sure I'm within tolerances. Takes a little more time double checking, but I want to be sure what's dropping is actually correct
Old 03-01-2020, 04:16 PM

Here is a pic of my new setup.

$200 for the press, powder dispenser shipped.
$70ish for the Strong stand and powder die
$52 9mm dies off eBay
$32 for 9mm conversion kit eBay
$29 extended primer track and ball bearing

All in all, pretty close to $350 for a fully functional 550B. Got all the dies set, powder drop, seating, and crimp.

Thanks everyone for all the insight, appreciate the words of wisdom, definitely don't think I'll regret going with the 550B over the LCT.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200301_140547_1583100969410.jpg  
Old 03-01-2020, 04:18 PM

I didn't see it mentioned, but switching from the .45ACP to the 9mm requires going from large pistol primers to small pistol primers. Not hard, but does need to be done!
Also if you run into problems call Dillon, their people know what they are talking about & WANT to help you.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
I didn't see it mentioned, but switching from the .45ACP to the 9mm requires going from large pistol primers to small pistol primers. Not hard, but does need to be done!
Also if you run into problems call Dillon, their people know what they are talking about & WANT to help you.
I probably have 300+ small pistol primer 45acp I've sorted from an order. But I don't have a conversion kit or dies for it yet. I'll probably continue to use my single stage for 45 since I don't shoot a ton
Old 03-02-2020, 05:59 AM

What??? You donít shoot a ton of 45???
Hang around and weíll learn ya!
Old 03-02-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
I've been contemplating buying a Dillon 550b, recently moved, got my presses out, the Lee Loadmaster started giving me grief, (yes, it's not the first time), re-did a few things, loaded 1,000 rounds, evenly split between 9mm and 45acp...not a single problem, flipped primer, NOTHING, it must know!
You shouldnít really move those things........they donít like it.
Now you have to learn to hold your mouth different and stand on the other leg!
Old 03-02-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
You shouldn’t really move those things........they don’t like it.
Now you have to learn to hold your mouth different and stand on the other leg!
I'm afraid to do anything different, it's working great right now! I'm gonna keep loading till something happens, as long as I have lots of 45 to load, I think I'll be ok for a bit. Large primers seem to work just fine in this Loadmaster, it's the small primers that cause grief although I've gone through several boxes of reloads before 'stuff' starts happening. I bought this thing as a challenge of sorts but as I said, the 'fiddling' with it is getting old, (along with me!)
Old 03-03-2020, 06:51 AM

May the force be with you........literally!
Seriously though, I battled with the same equipment. I honestly had a talk with myself (no thatís not a regular practice) after buying my first 550B. I prided myself on doing the correct research and making good decisions along the way. I could not believe that I allowed myself so much anguish over the years, when the 550 was within reach the entire time. I was mad at myself when the first 100 rounds spit out of the new press effortlessly. No culls, no hyper inspection, all cartridges the same level in the ammo box........
Itís not too late! Jump in the pool, the waters fine! Sell the cat and the toaster if you have too......life is too short!
Old 03-04-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
So I was able to pick up a almost brand new 550B for $200, all I needed to get are dies, conversion kit, powder die and the Strong mount. So far in it a total $320 for the complete setup. I'll be getting the rest of the parts this week and hopefully be loading this weekend.
Good deal, you're going to love it!