Best carry 1911 $1,000 or less - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-09-2020, 10:02 PM
Bonham1911 Bonham1911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 22
I’m in the market for a carry 1911 in 9mm or 45 ACP but there are a few caveats. It must be light weight (no all steel frames), it must be commander size or smaller, and here is the real kicker - I live in a restrictive state and am pretty much limited to Ruger, Springfield, a few Sigs (Ultra Carry 9mm is approved) and Smith & Wesson. It can be used or new but I would like to keep the price tag at $1,000 or less. Oh, and it has to be pretty darn reliable. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bonham1911; 02-09-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2020, 10:32 PM
Col. Colt Col. Colt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 3,079
Used LW Colt Commander in .45ACP. These are found in pretty much the whole USA, being sold everywhere since the 1950's. Put a set of Tritium sights on (new brite Trijicons are my favorites), have the gun gone over by a 1911 smith with new springs, flat bottomed firing pin stop,check extractor tension. And make sure it is pretty much unmolested - no polishing of the (soft) alloy feedramp by Bubba.

Ammo - Whatever it likes, but Remington Golden Saber feeds just like Hardball, easy on the ramp. Also, find a holster and a double mag pouch, and maybe carry one or more CMC 10 round mags for backup, and you will be well armed, indeed. CC
__________________
Col. Colt

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2020, 10:37 PM
Johnny handgun's Avatar
Johnny handgun Johnny handgun is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.M. IA
Age: 60
Posts: 7,445
Or you could just buy a brand new Colt lightweight Commander and run it as is.

If you can’t buy a new Colt I would try the Ruger lightweight Commander sized pistol and add some tritium or a blazer grip if you wanted
__________________
Meet me, Jesus, meet me in the middle of the air, if my wings should fail me, Lord, please meet me with another pair, so I can die easy. *WWG1WGA*
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-10-2020, 01:34 AM
Wilsonedbrown's Avatar
Wilsonedbrown Wilsonedbrown is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5,657
your from Mass? If so you can by anything you want you just need to know how to do so. that said find a dan wesson guardian used.. I will is a better made gun then a Colt, Ruger, springer, sig, or S&W.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2020, 05:11 AM
Guyfromohio Guyfromohio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
Or you could just buy a brand new Colt lightweight Commander and run it as is.

If you can’t buy a new Colt I would try the Ruger lightweight Commander sized pistol and add some tritium or a blazer grip if you wanted
This.....the Colt Lightweight Commanders are $900 and change from Bud’s. I had one when the current model first released a few years ago. I had zero failures from first shot to last (stupid trade).

Do the Price Match and it will be high $800s.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...mander+o4840xe
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2020, 06:34 AM
BLikeYork BLikeYork is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: State of PURDUE
Posts: 237
1) Buy a new Colt Lightweight Commander

2) Send John Harrison Customs your slide and have him install a hand fit flat bottom firing pin stop and a hand fix extractor

3) Break in your gun with 500rds

4) enjoy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2020, 06:42 AM
1911Sooner 1911Sooner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 474
You can get a Kimber TLE Ultra or Pro for less than a grand and they come with front strap checkering and night sights.

Last edited by 1911Sooner; 02-10-2020 at 06:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2020, 06:59 AM
Guyfromohio Guyfromohio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLikeYork View Post
1) Buy a new Colt Lightweight Commander

2) Send John Harrison Customs your slide and have him install a hand fit flat bottom firing pin stop and a hand fix extractor

3) Break in your gun with 500rds

4) enjoy

Great idea for extra steps! However, let’s not scare the guy into thinking he must customize it. You could do steps 1 and 4 and be good to go.....although I’d advise step 3 before carrying any gun (at least a good number of range shots for familiarity and reliability testing).



Oh wait....not sure if the restrictive state comment was a late-night edit. I personally have no familiarity with those choices listed. Colt is the only 1911 maker that I’ve purchased below the Dan Wesson price points. However, I did sell my ECO with only a few hundred rounds through it for about $900.

Last edited by Guyfromohio; 02-10-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2020, 08:32 AM
Bonham1911 Bonham1911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 22
Hi Guys,

I do greatly appreciate all the suggestions, however, this is the really crucial piece:

"I live in a restrictive state (MA) and am pretty much limited to Ruger, Springfield, a few Sigs (Ultra Carry 9mm is approved) and Smith & Wesson."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2020, 12:13 PM
JamieC JamieC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 874
Not technically a 1911, either of the Springfield Armory EMPs. I have a EMP4, (just over $1000), VERY 'carryable', once I had SA change the titanium firing pin to all steel, it has been flawless. Not sure how it measures up, weight wise, to an aluminum frame, I can carry mine all day with no issue, (then again, I carry my full size 1911 all day, even took a nap with it on. Thought about going to the driving range with it on just fer grins, fell back asleep).
__________________
"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-10-2020, 01:07 PM
SwampDawg SwampDawg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ocean Springs Ms
Posts: 321
I got a Kimber Tac II in a family deal. Small, thin, flat and with a 3" barrel is amazingly accurate. It is at the top of my list for carry.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-10-2020, 02:28 PM
Bonham1911 Bonham1911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
Not technically a 1911, either of the Springfield Armory EMPs. I have a EMP4, (just over $1000), VERY 'carryable', once I had SA change the titanium firing pin to all steel, it has been flawless. Not sure how it measures up, weight wise, to an aluminum frame, I can carry mine all day with no issue, (then again, I carry my full size 1911 all day, even took a nap with it on. Thought about going to the driving range with it on just fer grins, fell back asleep).

Thanks JamieC! This is the first recommendation that I can purchase in my state. I was thinking about the 3" EMP or 4" concealed carry contour version (either in 9mm). I am a little hesitant though as I have seen on the web and YouTube that reliability with the EMP (at least the 3") has been spotty.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-10-2020, 02:49 PM
JB6464 JB6464 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: O H I O
Posts: 1,071
Get a 9mm Colt Defender new for less than $900 .
Lightweight , much lighter in weight and easier to conceal than a commander and totally reliable .
At the end of the day you will notice a huge difference between carry that and a commander .
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-2020, 03:19 PM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham1911 View Post
Thanks JamieC! This is the first recommendation that I can purchase in my state. I was thinking about the 3" EMP or 4" concealed carry contour version (either in 9mm). I am a little hesitant though as I have seen on the web and YouTube that reliability with the EMP (at least the 3") has been spotty.
The only way I'd buy an EMP would be if the store I bought it from would agree to a return and full refund if the gun wouldn't run 100%.

The juice ain't worth the squeeze in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-10-2020, 07:52 PM
Frank Vaccaro Frank Vaccaro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: S.W. Montana
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham1911 View Post
Hi Guys,

I do greatly appreciate all the suggestions, however, this is the really crucial piece:

"I live in a restrictive state (MA) and am pretty much limited to Ruger, Springfield, a few Sigs (Ultra Carry 9mm is approved) and Smith & Wesson."
In your situation I'd look at #1 the Ruger, # 2 S&W. Being made in USA is important to me! Not sure either makes a LW Commander. I'd also look at a 5" LW.
Searching is half the fun!
Good luck, please let us know which you choose.
__________________
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:13 PM
Boge Boge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Border
Posts: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham1911 View Post
...and here is the real kicker - I live in a restrictive state and am pretty much limited to Ruger, Springfield, a few Sigs (Ultra Carry 9mm is approved) and Smith & Wesson...

Before you buy another gun you need this:


https://www.allied.com/


__________________
"She had a Mount Rushmore t-shirt on, and those guys never looked so good. Especially Jefferson and Lincoln. Kind of bloated but happy."

Guy Noir, private eye.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:36 PM
Miles42 Miles42 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 79
do a lot of research and most of all rent or try a few of your top choices.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-11-2020, 01:30 AM
1911crazy 1911crazy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 4,435
Any no frills, no bells or whistles 1911 probably a USGI MIL SPEC MODEL. Springfield.
__________________
Ask yourself is what i'm about to do SAFE???? (From the national timber fellers association)

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-11-2020, 03:14 AM
DubfromGa DubfromGa is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgia
Age: 51
Posts: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham1911 View Post
Iím in the market for a carry 1911 in 9mm or 45 ACP but there are a few caveats. It must be light weight (no all steel frames), it must be commander size or smaller, and here is the real kicker - I live in a restrictive state and am pretty much limited to Ruger, Springfield, a few Sigs (Ultra Carry 9mm is approved) and Smith & Wesson. It can be used or new but I would like to keep the price tag at $1,000 or less. Oh, and it has to be pretty darn reliable. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!
Sad that you live in an area/state where it sounds like you most need a good carry gun, yet have limitations imposed on you.

My next LW gun will be a Dan Wesson Valkyrie in .45.




Among those you listed, I suppose the Sig Ultra Carry would be the ticket.
__________________
Proud to be a Deplorable.....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-11-2020, 05:25 AM
rbert0005 rbert0005 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mass
Age: 70
Posts: 6,537
I got the Sig. No regrets at all.

These guys don't get the restriction thing at all.

Bob
__________________
I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.
COTEP 004
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-11-2020, 05:53 AM
Johnny handgun's Avatar
Johnny handgun Johnny handgun is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.M. IA
Age: 60
Posts: 7,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
Before you buy another gun you need this:


https://www.allied.com/


We donít get it? I beg to differ! Bogey totally gets it and he is 100% spot on with his answer.
__________________
Meet me, Jesus, meet me in the middle of the air, if my wings should fail me, Lord, please meet me with another pair, so I can die easy. *WWG1WGA*
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-11-2020, 05:55 AM
rbert0005 rbert0005 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mass
Age: 70
Posts: 6,537
Yeah, headed to South Carolina in a week to look at property.

Bob
__________________
I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.
COTEP 004
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-11-2020, 08:17 PM
Bonham1911 Bonham1911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 22
Thanks for the feedback guys! I hope to make a decision in the next couple of weeks. I’ll report back with my choice. Be well guys.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-11-2020, 09:54 PM
TravisP TravisP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 117
Springfield lightweight champion operator


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-12-2020, 06:24 AM
jim18611865 jim18611865 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 100
I carry the Ruger Officer every day. 9mm.
I have a Colt Defender I would sell. You can even test drive it first.
I also belong to a club in far Western MA.
PM me if interested. (No Colts in MA ?) A member is an FFL. I can ask him about used guns?

Jim
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved