Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-20-2020, 05:42 AM

EDC X9S Purchase Debate

I own 2 small Sigs:

P938 in 9mm
P365 in 9mm

I'm intrigued by the new EDC X9S.
I'm considering selling my oversupply of smaller guns in order to acquire the new EDC X9S and to create an upgrade in this class of gun if it is truly an upgrade.

I know the WC gun is new but quality is always present in WC.
Would you consider replacing the above 2 guns with the new WC?

Confuse me with the facts please.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:54 AM

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1007794
Old 01-20-2020, 06:04 AM

I really like the idea of and the look of the S. I’m a Wilson fan, owning a few already. I definitely don’t think you will have any regrets about buying one and replacing your other two carry options. However....and this is where I struggled with my X9....I look at the X9 line as “working guns”. I bought mine as the one true replacement for all of my carry needs....but it didn’t “wow” me into that role. I quickly found out that, although accurate and reliable, it really wasn’t any more than my P99 or even the Glock 19. To me, it wasn’t worth it. I’m having the same debate about the x9s now. I’m enamored by it, but will it outshoot my P30sk which I find easy to carry, accurate, and reliable or even my PPS which is my 95% of the time EDC? Not trying to dissuade you here at all. Get one and enjoy it!

Last edited by Guyfromohio; 01-20-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 06:26 AM

The Sigs are great guns, no doubt.
However, in choosing 1 keeper in this class, which guns do you find most appealing?
I'm intrigued by the WC baby brother.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
I'm going to leave this thread open for now instead of merging it with the other one you pointed to. Normally we would merge them or close the later one and point to the earlier one. But, although the X9s is the same subject, the topics are a bit different; the other thread is a general discussion of the announcement, while this one is about the worth of selling an over-abundance of the other two in order to get an X9s - a little different topic that is more focused on a particular action. Good eye on pointing out the other one though - thanks, and perhaps some of the OP's questions might be answered there.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)

Last edited by Grandpas50AE; 01-20-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:29 AM

I own several Wilsonís, including a edc x9 and a protector compact, but carry a glock 43. I believe one of the key differences btw the new Wilson and your existing small guns is the weight. Isnít the difference about 8-10 ounces? Thatís significant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2020, 06:30 AM

I'm also interested in the thoughts of our senior contributors regarding this new gun if you were to only keep one gun of this class in your arsenal. You guys always have keen insight.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:18 AM

I am also very intrigued by the X9S. The only little gun that I have and carry even though it is occasional and mainly only for quick trips to the store and sometimes if I’m going to be in the car driving for 12 hours or so is my P238. I had considered a P938 after they came out but for what I want in a little gun it was still too big and I was not overly impressed with it. Certainly a 9mm is far better than a .380 but a .380 still beats the gun that is left at home.

All my carry guns are Wilsons and I very much want to get one of the X9S’s into my hands and shoot it. I won’t order one until I have that chance. It is very easy to look at the overlays of the X9S and other small guns but for me I find that I have to be able to hold it to really see if it “feels” right. Shootability with a little gun is very important also. I know this gun will be shootable and reliable but will it fit me. It will also need to fit me with the flush fit magazine.

I am sure that the X9S will be extremely popular and expect the back order situation to be very similar to when the X9 first came out but perhaps not as long lasting.

I won’t sell anything at this point but if the X9S really does work for me then I would.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 01-20-2020, 07:19 AM

DR, the draw of any new wilson is hard to resist...(I'd like to have one of these too but just can't rationalize it).

However, the best way to make your decision is unemotionally...In particular, based on your use profile with this class of gun, that is, the 3"er class....

Granted, WC will make a great gun in this class, but it is still a gun in this class. It will shine in certain application's, not so much in other applications.

So to make your decision, first question: what exactly do you use a sub-compact for? Occasional carry (what %), main carry, shower gun (like me lol), run out to the mail-box ;-), etc.

2nd question, in this class of gun, and the above applications you identified in first question, are your current guns lacking some capability as far as performance, reliability, too much maintenance, etc.? If so what are these shortfalls, and how do you expect the X9small to fix them? If you have no shortfalls with your current guns in this class you have your answer...If you have shortfalls, but can't (explicitly) answer how the X9small will "fix" them, you should still not buy until you can answer this part of the question.

Finally, there is a "cost" to everything, if you get passed the first 2 questions, list the cost of buying the X9s...$2K+, but also maintenance wise, potential additional reliability risk, and even potential risk to compatibility in your hands vs what you have now (best if you can shoot one first before buying), etc.

If you answer these 3 groups of questions "honestly" you will be able to make the best decision for you.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 01-20-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
DR, the draw of any new wilson is hard to resist...(I'd like to have one of these too but just can't rationalize it).

However, the best way to make your decision is unemotionally...In particular, based on your use profile with this class of gun, that is, the 3"er class....

Granted, WC will make a great gun in this class, but it is still a gun in this class. It will shine in certain application's, not so much in other applications.

So to make your decision, first question: what exactly do you use a sub-compact for? Occasional carry (what %), main carry, shower gun (like me lol), run out to the mail-box ;-), etc.

2nd question, in this class of gun, and the above applications you identified in first question, are your current guns lacking some capability as far as performance, reliability, too much maintenance, etc.? If so what are these shortfalls, and how do you expect the X9small to fix them? If you have no shortfalls with your current guns in this class you have your answer...If you have shortfalls, but can't (explicitly) answer how the X9small will "fix" them, you should still not buy until you can answer this part of the question.

Finally, there is a "cost" to everything, if you get passed the first 2 questions, list the cost of buying the X9s...$2K+, but also maintenance wise, potential additional reliability risk, and even potential risk to compatibility in your hands vs what you have now (best if you can shoot one first before buying), etc.

If you answer these 3 groups of questions "honestly" you will be able to make the best decision for you.
Solid!

One other factor in the comparison would also be longevity. Do the other guns have an EOL guidance that the X9s will surpass? I suspect that the X9s is designed and made to last a very long time, not sure about the other two guns listed; this could be considered as part of maintenance cost for the price of the guns involved.

Last, but not least, is the difference in refinement and placement of controls and manual-of-arms for the X9s versus the other two - are they the same or does one have an advantage of the others (regardless of which make/model have the advantage here)? Many of us stepped up to Wilson for the refinement versus standard-production 1911's, so perhaps for some it may come down to that as a final deciding factor; only you can answer that as an individual shooter.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 01-20-2020, 08:21 AM

Personally, it would be a conditional Yes pending two things, both requiring me to shoot the Wilson first.

It would require the Wilson to fit my hands better than the 365, I found the one I had too slim to get a solid grip on under recoil, and have better recoil impulse than the 938, which I found more jumpy than I prefer in a 9mm (I liked the 365 in terms of recoil fine). Also the mag would have to not release under recoil in my grip like the 938 does.

Ultimately for me it would replace a Glock 26 I'm thinking of selling anyway so there's a great chance I'd go for it.

Gotta get a regular EDC X9 first, and possibly a L to replace the 226 Legion SAO if I decide to standardize in the future.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
I wonít sell anything at this point but if the X9S really does work for me then I would.
^^^
This
Old 01-20-2020, 10:42 AM

Life is too short to carry an ugly gun. Buy the X9S.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:43 AM

I've ordered one since if it follows the trend my X9 did on the timer it should defeat everything in the size class. My X9 is odd since in got compact class it beats nearly everything outside a true 1911 on the clock but for me it conceals more like a commander and in that class it tends to tie stuff a lot more instead of solid 10-20% defeats.

The 9s even if 20% slower than the X9 will beat everything in its class with ease and I already know its ease of use will be higher do to the control setup and there won't be snags or hesitation with certain actions or misses like I get with the 365. It also won't kill itself like some of my small guns have under my usual round schedule, my 938 has broken parts and my Glocks have had little issues that ruin my confidence. The 365 can have ammo related issue and requires spring attention.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 01-20-2020, 02:50 PM

I too want one...

I want to get one, would I carry it? Not sure...
I have a Glock 43 that I carry in a Vedder pocket locker holster.
It's great cause it's lightweight, doesn't print & I hardly notice that it's on me ...
Wondering what kind of holster will be available for the Wilson.
I still haven't bought a holster for my X9 yet ...
Old 01-20-2020, 05:17 PM

What I really, really want is to take a bag full of small pistols to Wilson, and walk out with a X9s. But, it just doesnít work that way
Old 01-20-2020, 06:43 PM

Iím the same. I would love to take my 4 small pistols on and come home with the X9s. It would really complement my edc x9. Itsí time in my life to upgrade the quality. At my age, life is way too short to have ugly guns!
Old 01-21-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James3612 View Post
What I really, really want is to take a bag full of small pistols to Wilson, and walk out with a X9s. But, it just doesn’t work that way [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/bawling.gif[/IMG]
I've got that problem in general, I've a bunch of guns I'd like to liquidate and convert into Wilson's, but the value of them is so poor it's almost not worth the effort.

Still, probably gonna take a few Glocks to the shop to put on commission this week.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:39 PM

I ordered a X9S and I'm first in line from a master-dealer, full report will be forth coming but it's more G43/P365 size than P938 and can hold 10 or 15 which is a huge plus in any self-defense situation. It will be about 8 oz heavier than a G43 which is a negative
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 01-22-2020, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
I ordered a X9S and I'm first in line from a master-dealer, full report will be forth coming but it's more G43/P365 size than P938 and can hold 10 or 15 which is a huge plus in any self-defense situation. It will be about 8 oz heavier than a G43 which is a negative
Depends on how you look at it, a 938 with a non flush mag is a little harder to hide for me than a 365. More weight is also a good thing for performance as the 43 is "meh" at best when it comes to times and ease of hits.

How did you spec yours out?
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 01-22-2020, 10:06 AM

Looking at the specs and comparison pictures more it seems this is closer to the 26 in grip thickness than the 43/365.

This is a very good thing for me.

Solidly pinned as an option to save for after I get my EDC X9 (and possibly a X9L to replace my 226 Legion as nightstand if I really fall in love with the X9)
Old 01-24-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
I will be interested in your results for I have just placed an order for one. I have an X9 with RMR it's a little too big for my pock carry (cargo pants).

I've got to talk with them today about the color coating ect. May do RMR with it also.

Update: Just got through with the order and RMR is available and so added it to my order. Love those things! Estimate was 3-4 months
Bob Curry-- Roll Tide-WC Stainless Protector with Trijicon RMR type2; WC Stainless Sentinel 9mm; WC Stainless EDC X9 with Trijicon RMR type2; WC EDC X9S with RMR ordered Jan20. Ruger Mark IV 22 cal Hunter; Bond Arms Derringer 45 cal; Berretta P4 Storm 40 cal. A couple others.

Last edited by Currybob; 01-25-2020 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:30 AM

Big wilson fan here and have few ... I consider Wilson very much like an all weather working guns .. got bw carry 2 yesterday without rail and debated much on this new x9s .. not sure until I see in person over all seems a fine Gun .. I hate the external extractor thou !!!!
Old 01-26-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPartagas View Post
I own 2 small Sigs:

P938 in 9mm
P365 in 9mm

I'm intrigued by the new EDC X9S.
I'm considering selling my oversupply of smaller guns in order to acquire the new EDC X9S and to create an upgrade in this class of gun if it is truly an upgrade.

I know the WC gun is new but quality is always present in WC.
Would you consider replacing the above 2 guns with the new WC?

Confuse me with the facts please.
I have both the P938 and P365 same as you. Since I purchased my 365 this has been my regular carry as I do not like actually shooting the 938. When clothing permits I regularly carry my edc x9 as it is my favorite gun to shoot. I just ordered an x9s in the hopes that itís as good a shooter as my x9 and that will become my edc.

Out of curiosity do you enjoy shooting the 938? I donít enjoy shooting it and prefer the 365.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

On purchasing another firearm. After working firearms retail for about 35 years now, there are two main reasons folks buy. Looking for a Tool or a Toy or the never ending combination of the two. Yes, I have done quite a few personnally of those acquisitions.

On selling a more than one to pay for one. Personally I sold 5 to pay for one. I will not say what it was as being retail that could be perceived as a conflict of interest. But what I purchased was something I have wanted for many years and is very scarce and I will shoot the devil out of it. Use it, Do not Possess it. Enjoy your acquisition.

As we age we have quite a bit we do not use but think or feel the money spent on them is too much to take a loss. Recycle it. PERIOD. No, I do not want it for my wife and I's inventory. Use the resources you have available. Something I was taught by "SUCCESSFUL" small retailers was. Patience Pays and Eliminate the Emotion as some one else said. When you decide to resell. The item is Merchandise. NOT and I repeat NOT a possession. Be patient on "recycling" and you will recover the most.

This is what I have learned the hard way. Again follow my tag line on "Doing your research......."