Fix This Darn Site !! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-03-2019, 04:46 PM

Fix This Darn Site !!

Ok admins, time you start asking for things to be fixed.

1) way too much empty real-estate on the pages (the upper red box). Perfect opportunity to park some paid-for ads there.

2) the "notice" has been here for past few years now, so its time to ditch it (lower red box). The notice takes up way too much space this forcing us to scroll just to see the 1st few threads in the forums.

For the love of god, fix it already. There's plenty of users on this site, so make it better for all of us, and for those who will come here.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 01-03-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:24 AM
Administrator

The header box (Red box 1) operates as per software coding. It's used to show the breadcrumb trail when you're viewing forums.

For example, this thread is 1911Forum > Site Information > Site Questions & Suggestions > Fix This Darn Site !!

So it changes as per which page you're viewing. Nothing can be added there.

That notice section is also coded into the software. The payment notice is important as it allows us to notify members of issues on the site, and any other announcements needed to be made.

Let us know if you have any other suggestions.

- JB
Old 01-04-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb1911forum View Post
The header box (Red box 1) operates as per software coding. It's used to show the breadcrumb trail when you're viewing forums.

For example, this thread is 1911Forum > Site Information > Site Questions & Suggestions > Fix This Darn Site !!

So it changes as per which page you're viewing. Nothing can be added there.

That notice section is also coded into the software. The payment notice is important as it allows us to notify members of issues on the site, and any other announcements needed to be made.

Let us know if you have any other suggestions.

- JB
Hi JB,

I have used/coded in vBulletin 1mil times already.
You can add a javascript to auto-magically place a small add to that upper box section w/o impacting the forum location info

Next, the notice box area (a bit of code to display that section) can be turned on and off. So either turn it off so it does not display at all, or, remove all the current text because I think that issue has come and gone a very long time ago, etc. With no text in there the box will shrink up.

And, if it sounds too complicated then the vBulletin support folks will gladly help (https://www.vbulletin.com/en/support-forums/)

Not sure why this site is still on old version 3.8.8 when version 5 is out. So many more features in v5 too. Time to fix things and upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
Hi JB,

You can add a javascript to auto-magically place a small add to that upper box section w/o impacting the forum location info

Next, the notice box area (a bit of code to display that section) can be turned on and off. So either turn it off so it does not display at all, or, remove all the current text because I think that issue has come and gone a very long time ago, etc. With no text in there the box will shrink up.

And, if it sounds too complicated then the vBulletin support folks will gladly help (https://www.vbulletin.com/en/support-forums/)

Not sure why this site is still on old version 3.8.8 when version 5 is out. So many more features in v5 too. Time to fix things and upgrade
I've been using vB for years, and this is correct ^^^

As for keeping 3.x, it works, don't mess with it except for security patches. The newer versions have not impressed me.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty-Five View Post
I've been using vB for years, and this is correct ^^^

As for keeping 3.x, it works, don't mess with it except for security patches. The newer versions have not impressed me.
???
v3 has been EOL for a long time (no more coding for it), AND, fixed versions of PHP are not even compatible with vB v3.8.x !

v3.8.8 also has some security CVE's associated with it, so an upgrade past 3.8.8 (to say 3.8.11) might fix some stuff, but you'll only get so far in v3.x.x since its EOL and no more coding for that train.

Regardless of old version, fixing the gui is not hard to do.

A migration to vB v5.x (and better PHP) can be done to the side of the active site
Old 01-04-2019, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
Hi JB,

There is no plan currently to make an upgrade to vB5. If we where to make such a change it would be network wide not just here. The newer versions of vB historically have shown to be be very problematic. 3.8 is still very stable and for now what we will continue to use.
-Philip
Old 01-04-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb1911forum View Post
There is no plan currently to make an upgrade to vB5. If we where to make such a change it would be network wide not just here. The newer versions of vB historically have shown to be be very problematic. 3.8 is still very stable and for now what we will continue to use.
-Philip
Fair enough. So how about just fixing the gui, as seen in post #1 ?
Old 01-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Administrator

This would be a wishlist item right now since its not effecting stop and go.
-Philip
Old 01-04-2019, 09:07 PM

Wow. I didn't know the site has so many problems! Man I hate change. I hope it stays just like this for another few years.
A man's rights rest in three boxes; the ballot box, jury box, and the cartridge box, Frederick Douglass