1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-21-2020, 04:52 PM

Iver Johnson Thrasher

Anyone own one of these?

I purchased one December 2019. It came to me new in the box.

I noticed some rust from bluing salts in just about every metal-to-metal surface.

I had the gun out a couple of times and didn't like the gritty feel.

I'm not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination but I bought a book - The Colt 45 Automatic A Shop Manual by Jerry Kuhnhausen - and totally disassembled the gun, cleaned it, polished contact surfaces, lubed and reassembled it.

What a difference.

Just curious if anyone else has a Thrasher and their experience with it.

Last edited by flashhole; 03-21-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:54 PM

I will also add it took me about a week to do the work. I had never attempted anything like this .... ever .... and didn't want to screw it up.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:34 PM

And now that you have done a complete disassembly and assembly how do you feel now? ��
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 08:58 PM

My Wife bought me that manual for Christmas one year, it's a treasure trove of information & very well illustrated.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJeff View Post
And now that you have done a complete disassembly and assembly how do you feel now? ��
I'm glad it's done. Learned a lot. Don't want to do it again. Would rather spend the time making ammo for it.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 PM

Old 03-21-2020, 09:21 PM

Whoa...I just Googled "Iver johnson Thrasher" (since, at first, I thought it was a weed-whacker). Damn, that's too much money to pay for a gun lousy with rust that requires complete disassembly and polishing. The stuff from RIA is half that price and I've never heard folks complaining of rust.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Whoa...I just Googled "Iver johnson Thrasher" (since, at first, I thought it was a weed-whacker). Damn, that's too much money to pay for a gun lousy with rust that requires complete disassembly and polishing. The stuff from RIA is half that price and I've never heard folks complaining of rust.
No just a lot of broken parts.

Iver Johnson has some quality 1911s. I have an Eagle XL Ported that had no rust or any other issues when I got it and is as well fitted as any Springfield. Problem is, not many people even KNOW Iver Johnson makes 1911s so they don't get a lot of mention and aren't the popular choice. And many stores don't carry in store them but have them available through a warehouse. But because they are not a popular brand, they often sit in the warehouse for a long time and while they shouldn't rust, in damp climates or warehouses that are not climate controlled they CAN get surface rust over time. ANY carbon steel gun or knife will experience this.

Important thing is that once it's cleaned up and properly oiled, it turned out to be a fine pistol.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:11 AM

I just bought a new, gen 4 Glock 34. It came from a big distributor, "Sport South." When I opened the box the pistol was damp. After field stripping, the insides of the gun were damp and rusted everywhere. I don't know how to detail strip a Glock, so I scrubbed away all of the rust I could see, oiled it up, and reassembled. The gun has had some reliability issues and is now with a gunsmith. My point is that these big distributors, big retailers, and the manufacturers themselves often must use less than dry storage facilities. I doubt it's the gun's fault. That's why the old Military armourers would pack the guns intended for long-term storage in Cosmoline. Congrats on the detail strip. I still haven't attempted it and I'm not sure I ever will.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:42 AM

I too just Googled Iver Johnson Thrasher. The company is in Rockledge Florida, not far from where I live. And that could explain the rust. The humidity down here can be the pits at times. I find surface rust on my firearms occasionally and all my guns are stored in a safe with a dehumidifier in and air conditioned house. I've started to keep a light coat of oil on them and that seems to be helping. The humidity is not to bad right now but in a few weeks it will increase.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:47 AM

To be clear, I have no complaints about the gun. It just needed some attention.

I suspect it was in storage for a considerable length of time but I don't have any way to tell. It took me a long time to get it and I was not inclined to send it back.

I wanted this particular model (Thrasher) because of the ordinance grade steel frame and the 3" barrel. It seems the rule these days is an alloy frame and steel slide in the compact models.

It compares nicely to my Springfield Mil Spec. They both cost the same within a few dollars of one another.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:18 AM

Springfield Mil Spec top

Iver Johnson Thrasher bottom

Old 03-22-2020, 10:55 AM

That's a cool little gun.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:01 PM

COVID-19 is keeping the ranges closed. Chomping at the bit to shoot some of my handloads.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
I just bought a new, gen 4 Glock 34. It came from a big distributor, "Sport South." When I opened the box the pistol was damp. After field stripping, the insides of the gun were damp and rusted everywhere. I don't know how to detail strip a Glock, so I scrubbed away all of the rust I could see, oiled it up, and reassembled. The gun has had some reliability issues and is now with a gunsmith. My point is that these big distributors, big retailers, and the manufacturers themselves often must use less than dry storage facilities. I doubt it's the gun's fault. That's why the old Military armourers would pack the guns intended for long-term storage in Cosmoline. Congrats on the detail strip. I still haven't attempted it and I'm not sure I ever will.
Did I read you correctly, you said your glock 34 was all rusted inside when you received from the distributer. I haved own almost every model Glock through the years and still have several models in my safe and I shoot them regularly and I have never had one rust not even a little. I was so knocked back by this statement I went to my safe and I found my first generation Glock 17 that I bought in 1989 or 1990 and checked it for rust. There was none not even a little. I would of sent that gun back to glock straight away.

Last edited by ToddRvs; 04-02-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:33 PM

Where is Ft. White? Some of the Southern states have very humid climates. Coastal areas have salt content in the air that is not friendly to iron alloys.