Coleman white gas---yeah baby! - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-01-2018, 09:53 PM

I just went out into my Garage and looked up on my high shelf and there they were. One red single burner and the green double burner. They haven't been used in 40 yrs and they still looked good, a little beat up, but good. I put some 3in1 oil down in the pumps. and tomorrow I will head to Wal-Mart and get some fuel and mantles. Boy did they bring back some memories of the times as a kid and Dad frying fresh mullet in that old black iron skillet down on the bay. Now to find the stove.
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:15 PM

Talking

FUNNIEST white gas-fueled campfire incident EVER, happened with the Order of the Arrow tapout campfire in Huntington (Camp Arrowhead, Barboursville), WV, in the summer of '99. TOO long a story to do it right on a forum; needless to say - when the fire ignites, while the flaming arrow is still 6' away - and the top 3' of the fire lay explodes everywhere... it's a GOOD white gas story!

p.s. - no Scouts or Scouters were harmed in this story... although the Lodge Chief's bonnet WAS smoking at the time...
Old 08-02-2018, 12:08 AM

Why tease us like that? Find some time to write up the story and perhaps we'll all lol with you.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:52 AM

Nice to have the gasoline option in the newer dual fuel Coleman gas lamps; premiim gas for the small engines, generators always readily at hand.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:14 PM

What kind of shelf life does white gas have?
Old 08-04-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambob View Post
What kind of shelf life does white gas have?
I don't know what the "official" shelf life is, but I have successfully used some that is more than 10 years old. No apparent degradation of BTUs for cooking or intensity from the lamp.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:26 PM

I do not know what the official shelf life is either.

But I have used some that was several years old with no issues. I think that the important thing when storing it is to not let it get hot. As the aerosol components like the butane will likely evaporate off and leave you with a compound less likely to gasify for use in your lamp or stove. Gasoline will do the same thing.

As a side note. Wal mart sells their own brand of what is essentially the same compound for about half the price. They call it Crown fuel.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:58 PM

Got my two lanterns out yesterday and got my single burner lantern working. Now to get the double burner working. Both of these were my Dads and we used them fishing and camping. I cant believe they are dated 1962. I did order some new parts from coleman and will look for some discontinued parts on ebay and yard sales. I am glad this post got going.
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:57 PM

Mike Chapman
oldcolemanparts.com
Old 08-22-2018, 09:13 PM

I have an older...30 yrs or so catalytic heater lantern and two burner stove...need to fire them up...
Old 08-22-2018, 09:44 PM

I had forgotten the white gas catalytic heater. I had one when we were first married. My old car hated to start when it was cold so I put one of those heaters next to it in the garage on the coldest nights. It worked quite well.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:05 PM

The old Coleman stoves and lanterns run just fine on regular unleaded gasoline too. The only downside is you may need to disassemble and clean the regulator more frequently due to build up from additives.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alland View Post
I remember buying white gas from a pump at out "Flying A" gas station. Leaded gas would foul the generator in the Coleman stove and produce lead fumes to breathe. Modern unleaded gas does not seem to foul the generator of my stove.
That's good to know-Coleman used to sell a generator for gasoline and some of their later stoves and lanterns would run on either auto-fuel or Coleman fuel and were sometimes labeled "Dual Fuel". I've been looking for one of the the conversion generators but haven't seen one for decades, perhaps because unleaded gas is okay in them?

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 09-22-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:58 PM

White gas got its name from the fact that it was not dyed, many times red, indicating that taxes had been paid for motor fuel use. The fact that it had no tetraethyl lead added meant that it would not foul a Coleman generator. Modern unleaded gas seems to work well in my Coleman stoves even with the other additives.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 10-29-2018, 11:15 AM

Have run my Optimus 8R on unleaded gas for 45 years now.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:06 PM

We have used the Coleman 425 series 2 burner stoves for more years than we care to admit and have several that still serve both us and our grown kids on camping excursions. We are now currently outfitting a new Casita trailer for the road and, preferring to cook outside, dug out the last 425C stove we purchased at a yard sale years ago. Had a price sticker on it of $18. Had to order a new valve and generator from oldcolemanparts.com and root out a spare tank cap and pump re-build kit from the truck camper but she runs fine now. Not bad for a piece of kit that's probably 50 years old.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:55 PM

Location: Prefer not to state as it's becoming deadlier at my workplace.
This past year I picked up a gallon of white gas at Wallys, cheaper than Coleman. And it burns odor-free in comparison to Coleman - a real treat to burn indoors. And may I recommend the use of PEERLESS brand mantles instead of Coleman brand that usually lasts no more than a single night in my experience. The PEERLESS mantles currently in use in my Coleman Powerhouse Lantern have lasted at least five tankfuls of burn without replacement. Those PEERLESS mantles hold their own. Hats off to PEERLESS MANTLES.

A gunsmith I am not.

Last edited by tjkoko; 07-08-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkoko View Post
And may I recommend the use of PEERLESS brand mantles instead of Coleman brand that usually lasts no more than a single night in my experience. The PEERLESS mantles currently in use in my Coleman Powerhouse Lantern have lasted at least five tankfuls of burn without replacement. Those PEERLESS mantles hold their own. Hats off to PEERLESS MANTLES.
Coleman must have really dropped the ball, in the last... 3 to 4 decades since I've used one of their lanterns. Back then? Don't think we replaced a mantle more often than MAYBE once a season of heavy use.

Frankly? I'm kinda surprised they still sell them, as they are (or, at least WERE) somewhat radioactive - guessing they have (or had) thoriated tungsten in them.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S. View Post
Coleman must have really dropped the ball..............they have (or had) thoriated tungsten in them.
During the early 1990s when I last used Coleman mantles, the label specified Thorium, a heavy element, and the mantles lasted only one single burn (night) in my Powerhouse lantern. At the Coleman Collector's forum you'll find that they all recommend using Peerless mantles nowadays.

A gunsmith I am not.

Last edited by tjkoko; 07-11-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:02 PM

Fun fact

The first night football game was illuminated by Coleman lanterns. Played in Wichita Ks, home of Coleman. One school was Fairmount College and I don't recall the other. Fairmount became Wichita State U.
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 08-24-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
John Joseph, you must be my age. When I say "white gas", most people say "What's that?". I remember when you used to be able to buy it at a service station.

Just saw this one, I'm that age too. I remember when the bottled coleman fuel came in. Bout the time smokeless powder did!!!
Old 08-24-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alland View Post
White gas got its name from the fact that it was not dyed, many times red, indicating that taxes had been paid for motor fuel use. The fact that it had no tetraethyl lead added meant that it would not foul a Coleman generator. Modern unleaded gas seems to work well in my Coleman stoves even with the other additives.
I'm not sure but I always thought that white gas was an aka for naptha gas. And back in the 1970s I remember white gas being advertised for sale at some gas stations.

A gunsmith I am not.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
Doubtful todayís i-generation could replace the mantle...there ainít an app! Hell the guy at the oil change told me most canít find the hood release.
All part of the fun! Kids will look at you as if you're some kind of wizard if you know the Coleman lighting rituals
Old 08-25-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
All part of the fun! Kids will look at you as if you're some kind of wizard if you know the Coleman lighting rituals
One "youngster" at work was interested in buying my '72 Triumph motorcycle. I asked if he could do plugs, points and condensers and valve adjustments. He simply stared at me blankly and nonplussed. The ability to do "real" mechanical repairs is becoming a lost art with my generation's passing.

A gunsmith I am not.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkoko View Post
During the early 1990s when I last used Coleman mantles, the label specified Thorium, a heavy element, and the mantles lasted only one single burn (night) in my Powerhouse lantern. At the Coleman Collector's forum you'll find that they all recommend using Peerless mantles nowadays.
I haven't had any problems with Coleman mantles. I have 3 lanterns, 2 white gas and one propane, and cases for each of them. I find that mantles often endure even jolting back road trips to the boonies, but sometimes not. I carry a good supply of mantles with me.

Without going to the Coleman Collector's forum, what, in a few words, is the benefit to the Peerless mantles? It looks like they are made in India.