Who owns 1911 forum - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 PM

Who owns 1911 forum

Several threads indicated that the reason gun sales or advertisements are not permitted on the 1911 forum is that the owner(s), past and present, determined that they would not be allowed. Are members permitted to know who currently owns the site?

If it's Jeff Cooper or clone, it's one thing, but if it's Diane Feinstein it would be another matter. I ask only because I think supporters or members of an organization should know the identity of those who make decisions for everyone.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Administrator

I don't personally know the present owner and haven't found it necessary .

The staff makes the content limitation decisions and sets policy . Gun and accessory advertisers do post ads for their products here which is handled by another group .

The no guns for sale by members rule has been in place for 15+ years .

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Old 06-05-2018, 12:23 PM

The forum was purchased along with about 70 others a couple years ago by a firm that owns approx 400 in total. But they have pretty much let the mods/admins of each one set their own rules as Guy said.
Gun sales are allowed on three other forums I'm on and they are owned by same company.
I believe DSK explained it awhile ago that the mods/admins would rather not have the forum be the medium thru which gun sales happen because when things don't go perfectly they the mods/admins are expected to make things right. And here they would just rather not deal with it. There are so many other avenues to sell that there really is no reason to deal with it here. Just gun talk and accessories sales is all.
COTEP#782
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Administrator

re: Guns for sale

High ticket items like guns in the Classifieds draw in the scammers/thieves .
I can personally attest to this one . They copy ads and posts from legit ads and discussions into the forum as their own including the photos . Then a lower price to tempt the unsuspecting member into thinking he has found a deal .

Old 06-05-2018, 06:22 PM

The answer is: Vertical Scope, Canadian owned.
The rules are made by the owner and enforced by the Mods.
This is not open to discussion.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:01 PM
Administrator

The owner(s) have made no effort to implement new or change rules . The same rules apply now as they did before the VS people got involved .

Old 06-06-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
The answer is: Vertical Scope, Canadian owned.
The rules are made by the owner and enforced by the Mods.
This is not open to discussion.
VS owns over 400 forums covering ALL topics. Many of the forums deal with things people here would totally not agree with or even be shocked to know a forum exists for that topic.
A while back some anti-gun ads were popping up on Sigtalk. We reported it to VS and they apologized saying it was in no way their intent to let oil and water try to mix if you know what I mean. The ads were stopped and things went quickly back to normal. When VS took over the forums we as gun owners frequent and we found out who they were many people panicked and thought 'well there goes the GUN forum as we knew it'. Yet things have basically not changed on any forum they bought.
They may own this forum but they aren't setting any rules because as I mentioned on the four or five gun forums I'm on that they own the rules vary from place to place.

Sigtalk-gun sales are allowed and comments in the sale threads are ok, polite political threads are allowed, non gun related random thought threads are allowed
Florida Concealed Carry is pretty much the same
Here-no gun sales, no politics unless specifically 2A related and no non gun related threads
Colt Forum-gun sales allowed NO comments other than 'I'll take it are allowed'., no politics and no non gun related threads

Each and every forum has their own rules and subtle nuances which are set by the Admins/Mods.
VS basically never entered into setting forum rules on any they bought. They let the people who had been doing it continue to run things as they had been and saw fit to do.
COTEP#782
Old 06-06-2018, 06:49 AM

7.62: My correction on whose rules they are. I just figure we are all guests. No one forces us to be here. If we don’t like the rules, we simply move on was my point. Nothing more.
Thanks for the correction. I doubt Vertical Scope’s interest goes beyond the bottom line, this asset is nothing more than a tip cup in their food chain. They simply own a boat load of tip cups.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:03 AM

Correct. You can google them and find the list of forums they now own.
In one way it's kinda scary knowing one company owns/controls so much online.
But in the other way it's just way too many for them themselves to bother with the daily rules. If there are site issues than they address it. If it's forum rules than they leave it up to the mods/admins.
COTEP#782
Old 06-11-2018, 02:34 PM

Thanks to those who offered information. It appears that my original question was off target. What I meant to ask was “Who is preventing members or supporters of the forum from posting want to buy or for sale items?” The consensus reply to that question is that the administrators and/or moderators have made this decision, rather than the owner(s).

I found storm2’s response that “this is not open for discussion” antithetical to the idea of a forum that provides a locus for questions to be asked and answered, with all due respect for his right to express his views.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:58 PM

If you want to sell guns 1911addicts.com allows guns for sale so does new forum 1911fanatics.com