what to do with $500? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-15-2018, 07:29 AM

what to do with $500?

I am consolidating my life and gear, focusing on standard platforms and getting my life ready for whatever. I am not a hardcore, live in a bunker kind of prepper but trying to be in a better place than I've ever been and more prepared for general crap than I've ever been.

I sold myself out of the Glock platform and lets say I have $500 I could realistically spend on anything without ramification, but would like to put it towards something useful/prep related. I'm not just starting out, but as all of us do, have room to grow.

So let's assume I have the following things:
6 gas cans full of gas (nato cans, rotated)
inverter generator
6+ months emergency cash
retirement accounts
quality rifles/pistols/shotguns/associate gear
some PMs (silver, saving for my first real Gold)
DD/BOV land cruiser prado
400+ gallons water with collection in place
30+ days food (live in suburbs, can't plant/grow)
gym membership since I'm learning fitness is super important
medical training and supplies.
22s, suppressor, truck guns, safe depost box with emergency back up paperwork and crap
pistol reloading set up and 5k+ rounds of supplies

so with that, what would you all suggest I focus on or start thinking about? I DON'T have:
night vision
centerfire suppressor
ton of space

Could always use:
more ammo?
gun stuff?
Gas?
food?
optics stuff?
Old 09-15-2018, 08:31 AM

If I only had an extra 5, I'd probably save it.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:49 AM

Can't go wrong with saving it, create a little prepping slush fund for gear, gold, or whateverelse you may wan..

If its REALLY burning a hole in your pocket, perhaps an inverter in your panel for your generator- if you lose power for more than a few hours at a time, it beats the hell out of drop cords all over the place- and can power light fixtures and ceiling fans, things hard wired into the house. The generator may not be able to power everything at once, butz with a little discipline, you can be very comfortable...

This is from a guy who hasn't had power in the last 24 hours from Florance, and isn't expecting it back any time soon. We have a houseful of gusets, and we can use the lights, have hot running water (tankless gas heater), the kids can play their x station game things, we can run the ceiling fans to keep comfortable...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Can't go wrong with saving it, create a little prepping slush fund for gear, gold, or whateverelse you may wan..

If its REALLY burning a hole in your pocket, perhaps an inverter in your panel for your generator- if you lose power for more than a few hours at a time, it beats the hell out of drop cords all over the place- and can power light fixtures and ceiling fans, things hard wired into the house. The generator may not be able to power everything at once, butz with a little discipline, you can be very comfortable...

This is from a guy who hasn't had power in the last 24 hours from Florance, and isn't expecting it back any time soon. We have a houseful of gusets, and we can use the lights, have hot running water (tankless gas heater), the kids can play their x station game things, we can run the ceiling fans to keep comfortable...
You have taken a survival situation and turned it into somewhat normal living. This my friends is how its done.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
You have taken a survival situation and turned it into somewhat normal living. This my friends is how its done.
While I fared better than many during Matthew a couple years ago- and that was far worse, at least locally- it was an eye opener, I realized how woefully inadequate my state of readiness was. Afterwards, I made a detailed list of every shortcoming, everything that could be improved- and fixed those things.l, best I could.

Not sure I'd call my current situation "normal" living- 5 children fom 5 to 12, and eight adults under my roof is not "normal"...

However, fron an infrastructure and quality of life perspective, yeah, we're doing very well...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 09-15-2018, 08:53 AM

You could donate it to the Scubadad retirement fund

Buy more food or medical supplies. Are you taking any meds daily? If so try to get an extra 3 month supply.

Rubbing alcohol and peroxide. Infections kill. When I lived in florida my hurricane kit had plenty of both.

Get plenty of toilet paper.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:42 AM

I'd set up Ham radio station
Old 09-15-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
I'd set up Ham radio station
HF?
VHF/UHF?

You can quickly spend much more than $500 just covering the basics. One could put together an HF station for that amount by buying a hamfest special older used transceiver and putting up a homebrew wire dipole, but only if you are already licensed and with a little more research and study. If you don't know what you are buying you can stuck with someone else's junk.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Talking Easy!

A twelve ounce tin of Walter's caviar. And a Magnum of French champagne. A great way to pass the afternoon with your wife.

http://www.georgiaseafood.com/index.html
Old 09-15-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
A twelve ounce tin of Walter's caviar. And a Magnum of French champagne. A great way to pass the afternoon with your wife.

Now here's a man that knows how to wait out a major event in style!

Just because the powers out, trees are down, roads are flooded, and everything is closed...
Its no reason to devolve to a naked ape... any fool can be miserable during a disaster- it takes artistry to push through in style!
Old 09-16-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:

gonna be a lot of kids born on the east coast about 10 months from now, and I would bet many are named Flo
Old 09-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Break that $500 down into smaller bills and stash them away. I always keep a couple of hundred dollars in small denominations in the gun safe, just in case.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistema1927 View Post
Break that $500 down into smaller bills and stash them away. I always keep a couple of hundred dollars in small denominations in the gun safe, just in case.
already have that one covered, too.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:24 PM

A good recurve bow would be fun. During normal times it's a great stress reliever.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post
A good recurve bow would be fun. During normal times it's a great stress reliever.
Ya know, there is something to that!

And being in the Burbs the OP still could probably shoot it in the back yard with a few bales of hay...

Ham Radio is an option but would require a good bit of research and possibly some serious dedication in learning Morse Code to get the most capacity for the least power. It could be done for $500 but that would require some real thought and effort, a normal SSB station and quality tower and Yagi antenna would be way out of the ball park though a dual band (2 meter/70 centimeter) mobile rig, decent antenna and maybe even a handheld to go with it could be had for that with some really careful shopping.

Still, the communication thing is not a bad line of thinking. A pair of FRS handi-scratchies and a way to charge them from an off the grid situation (solar charger maybe) and a hand crank emergency radio could be had and there would be some left to put some $20's away in the gun safe...
Old 09-16-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Unless you buy used, you won't get a really GOOD recurve for $500.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Unless you buy used, you won't get a really GOOD recurve for $500.
I’ll give you that, but you can get some good used recurves at reasonable prices. I got a Hoyt Dorado for ~$350 and saw one in a quick search for $325 (https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5267011). At that price, you can get some decent gold tip arrows and a Bitzenberger fletching jig to add to it.

I shoot instinctive with finger tabs which keeps the cost accessories low also.

There are lesser bows available for less money, but recurves can sometimes be found at real bargain prices even when new.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Iíll give you that, but you can get some good used recurves at reasonable prices. I got a Hoyt Dorado for ~$350 and saw one in a quick search for $325 (https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5267011). At that price, you can get some decent gold tip arrows and a Bitzenberger fletching jig to add to it.

I shoot instinctive with finger tabs which keeps the cost accessories low also.

There are lesser bows available for less money, but recurves can sometimes be found at real bargain prices even when new.
I have about 25 recurves. Half of them are Black Widows made for me. The last bow I bought was a used Assenheimer....a yr old when I bought it....about $500 if I recall.

Trad guys change bows more often than they change their drawers.

Last edited by TRSOtto; 09-17-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:12 PM

Peculiar how other interests/ hobbies come out in such discussions...

The OP, living in suburbia, isn't going to "Stand Fast!" though TEOTWAWKI... it just isn't going to happen...

So I'm presuming that his prep desires are based around more short term, localized events- a hurricane, an earthquake, an ice storm... a few weeks without normal public services or the ability to re supply consumables.

I don't think he's particularly concerned with re-establishing civilized humanity or living solo off the land...

Its basic necessities and simple comforts that make such things tolerable.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:54 AM

New rifle plates and a carrier.

DKX or similar.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
New rifle plates and a carrier.

DKX or similar.
I have soft armor but no plates. I'm not sold on their use honestly.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:16 AM

Single malt whisky ! 10 bottles.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm Colt View Post
Single malt whisky ! 10 bottles.
You won't get 10 bottles of GOOD single malt for $500. You'll barely get 6.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:39 PM

McCallans 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
You won't get 10 bottles of GOOD single malt for $500. You'll barely get 6.
And you will not even get two. Just sayin.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
And you will not even get two. Just sayin.
I pay about $85 for my go to....Lagavulin 16.