1911Forum banner

Blazer Brass FMJ....

4K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  Low Down 
#1 ·
I'm looking around earlier today for some ammo deals, and I found some Blazer Brass 230gr. FMJ for $89.99/300 at Dick's Sporting Goods. And there's a mail in rebate that would discount the purchase $12 per case. Brings it to $0.26 per round.... Seems like a good way to stimulate the local economy vs buying it through a website and paying for shipping. And I like that I would be able to save the brass and reload it.

Anyway... this brand something to enjoy or stay away from? Large or small primers in the casing? Clean or dirty powder?

Thought I'd get some input before buying 900 rounds of it. TIA.

#7 ·
Regarding the Blazer Brass 230fmj, I have three boxes of it left from a purchase some time ago. I've personally never had a problem with it, and found it to be as accurate and maybe slightly cleaner than WWB or UMC ammo.

As for reloading, I haven't reloaded any yet so can't help with how primers seat etc..., but I will tell you that it is small primer brass, so you will have to sort it if you normally load large primer brass in your 45.

chris

#14 ·
UMC and WWB are both bottom of the barrel!
Blazer is far better, that’s why there was plenty of UMC available!
One of our members ran a thread a while back that showed total NON uniform seating depths all in the same box. He sent it back, they exchanged it, same crap again. I think he buried it! (I made the buried part up, it’s still crap).

#10 ·
I still have about ten boxes of the Remington UMC 230gr FMJ. Nothing wrong with it either. WWB is about the bottom of my list for factory loaded ammo, although I think I have about 200 rds left.

I haven't bought any factory loaded 45 since I started reloading last year, and am slowly using the factory stuff.

But I will say that of the cheap factory loaded ammo, Blazer Brass is one of my favorites. Seems to be the most consistent in terms of accuracy, recoil, ejection, etc... through my gun. YMMV.

chris

#11 ·
It's a good idea to NEVER rechamber ANY factory ammo on the market today. Load it once - shoot it. Don't rechamber it multiple times and then put it in the bottom of the mag or save it for "practice ammo". If it looks like set back any at all toss it in the trash.

#12 ·
I take a felt pen and put a black dot on the primer of the round that will be chambered. If that is cycled out then it goes down into the magazine. When the magazine is all black dots and sometimes sooner, the black dot rounds go into a container that goes to the range to be shot during practice. However, I don’t rack out a chambered round very often.

#16 · (Edited)
Target Sports USA is the way to go. Free shipping for cases of 1,000 rounds and no tax. There's a $1.00 rebate per box of 50. After rebate it comes out to 0.16 cents per round.

Blazer Brass is very good target ammo and burns clean. Blazer Brass is owned by Vista Outdoor, the same company that owns Federal HST, Speer, CCI and American Eagle.

I have been shooting Blazer Brass or American Eagle for many years and never had a single problem.

Edit: That price is for Blazer Brass 124 gr 9mm.

#17 ·
Well.... Target Sports did not ship the order of UMC yet, so I gave them a shout and changed the order to S&B 230gr FMJ. I have used plenty of S&B through a Sig Sauer P226 and P938, so I feel more confident about the order change. Haha.

And it was only 10 dollars more than the UMC.

#28 ·
I have no problem with the Blazer small primer 230 ammo. Shoots fine for me. I buy when it is on sale and use for plinking. I don’t reload it. For the price I’d buy it.

I did cancel my Dick’s affinity account. I’ll never buy anything from them again.

#32 ·
Thanks for all that Cap!
This will come in handy the next time there is a bit of bellowing from the gallery of peanuts about factory being as good as hand loaded!
One note of importance though. You are an accomplished shooter that has many tens of thousands of rounds under your belt. Your groups are well concentrated, and yet, there are the nuisance flyers that have a mind of their own on many of the factory offerings. I doubt that you were swatting mosquitoes whilst triggering those rounds!!
Now, (here’s where you’re right) take a newb that just bought his “best in the world Glock” and he’s out firing away with any of the examples that you show. Of course this is freehand from the same distance because he doesn’t know what a rest is. The ammo he is shooting won’t amount to a hill of beans of difference because he won’t even hit the paper in the first place!
I’m glad there are these guys though, they have to learn and cheap factory is how they can get there.
You have helped remind me that I should throttle back on my criticism of the “junk”, it does have a purpose!! Thanks again for posting the pics, that may come in handy!

#37 ·
. Of course this is freehand from the same distance
!

speaking of...

dig this

From the rest, my Gold Cup is mechanically more accurate than my Springfield Loaded.
Both are set up essentially the same

But off hand precision accuracy shooting, I shoot tighter groups with the Loaded.
Not a big ole difference, but enough to be consistent and measurable :scratch::confused:

..L.T.A.

..L.T.A.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.