1911Forum banner

So what do you think of this rig?

3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  dbuck47 
#1 ·
Ruger SP101 DAO in a Galco holster and belt with Ruger logos and CT grip also with Ruger logo.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, it does ride high against my ribs but conceals well. I think practice draws should help.

#5 ·
FL118 and J919WC are stamped on the holster, I'm not sure which is the model #. I believe it is made specific for the SP101.

#6 · (Edited)
Personally I'm not a DAO fan and that thing does look like it would ride a bit high...still, it's really a Northern Winter in the South this year and I've been carrying a full sized 1911 more frequently-and I've come to the conclusion that my Officer Sized would be far easier to draw when strapped into the car so given that the high ride exhibited by that rig would be well above seat belts and other modern encumbrances (well away from the front pocket) it may well be an advantage!

That's a 2" bbl, isn't it? I've been eyeballing the 3" bbl SP101 as a walking the property anti-snake/truck gun. Overall about the same weight and dimensions of my Officer Size 1911 but sometimes a revolver gets the edge...

I think that might just be a highly useful concealment scheme though it would take some learning to use to it's full potential.

#10 · (Edited)
One advantage of DOA with this holster, it retains well but with practice I can slip it out without unsnapping, no hammer spur. Yes it's the 2.25". If it were canted the oppisite angle it would be far easier to cross draw from the left side with my right hand, but cross drawing has issues from what I read.

#7 ·
Its a nice rig for sure. That is a lot of iron to carry up so high. Does it ever twist down on you? I have been looking for a decent and strong belt holster for my 4" Ruger also. Im not sure that I have enough body in between my belt and my ribcage to carry that beast.

But it looks like a nice rig.

#12 ·
Great looking rig but rides too high for my needs. If I wore that rig I'd have back problems right from the start. I'd love to find one where the gun sits lower on the beltline but it seems like they're almost impossible to find anymore. Anyway, enjoy the rig its simple but beautiful.

#13 ·
I love the high ride and carry a number of autopistols that way. Just picked up a 28-2 in 4" flavor. Not being a revolver guy, I have no clue how Im going to do this. I dont plan on CCW for this, but as a woods gun, Id still like it to ride high and out of the way when on an ATV, tractor, etc.

#27 ·
"Forgot to get back to you this, I think it will have clearance for a bigger front sight."

sechott, Thanks for taking the time to check. I'll have to give one a try.

For eicas, I did some checking as well, according to their website the FL118 means the Galco model is the "Fletch" (FL) and the 118 means it fits the SP101.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.