1911Forum banner

Purchase a Colt Marine Corps CQB 1911?

18K views 68 replies 27 participants last post by  colemanw 
#1 ·
I have a couple of Colt 1911's; blued 01980xse and a 70 series NM. I am wanting the new Marine 1911. I can get one for about 2300 out the door, new in box. Should I?
As years go by do you think they will continue to be offered / available. As with most of us, my children will get them some day. Wise buy or foolish?

#5 ·
Brent at Colt Custom said they will continue to make them as long as there is a demand for them. Right now, they are in high demand.

And this month, most of the supply is going to the USMC inventory, so demand is even higher since the supply this month is low.

$2300 out the door is pretty good IMHO.

Oh by the way, the MSRP has gone up too.

#19 ·
The USMC's demand for pistols has nothing to do with commercial sales of custom shop pistols. The guns that Marines get is not the same pistol consumers get. From what I have been told, Marines get assembly line guns made on the production floor at Colt. Consumer guns are assembled in the custom shop by the custom shop gunsmiths and receive hand fit NM barrels and trigger jobs.

#52 ·
You are correct except for the first sentence.

I assume the supply of assembly line guns goes to two places, the Marines and the custom shop.

If the supplies are going the Marines this month and only to the Marines, then the Custom Shop has no guns to hand fit those Nm barrels and do their trigger magic to sell to for commercial sale.

The rumor is that approx 80-100 get pulled off the assembly line to be sent to Brent's shop. This month, there are very few, if any inventory at Colt custom.

#6 · (Edited)
Every Marine should have one. They should only be issued to Marines and sold to ex- Marines. Don't worry about the price, it will be $2300 next year. Go for it. ;)

#9 ·
Go for It !

Only my opinion...if it is within your budget, go for it. This is a very solid performing 1911. Performed well in my mini-range session and will be using it in my classes...but again, what works for me may not work for others.

Attachments

#13 ·
These are a contradiction to me. Reading the raging debate on another Forum.
The stated goal of the build specification, is parts interchange ability. Not with all 1911's, or all Colts, just with other CQB Colts.
That would NOT be a purchase goal for me personally, since I'm not gathering a armory of that model.
I like some of the old and some of the new Colt. Reliability, accuracy, fit and finish are still the Trinity in 1911's for me.
The Frenzy for this model, I'm not convinced it is justified.
I'd spend the MSRP for one. (remember when we could count on spending LESS than MSRP?)
GunBroker has them for $3500. and $4000.
That is Guncrafter, Wilson, Brown, Baer, Custom MY Way, money.
I guess I'll have to wait.

#18 · (Edited)
You have never shot this gun, sorry the CQBP is way more accurate than my Wilson CQB, is the fit and finish as good as a wilson? No but I don't see why you are comparing gunbroker prices of this gun with semi-custom prices the MSRP is/was $1995. The gun is a steal at that price. The cheapest Wilson Combat 1911 is $3000, this Colt CQBP shoots better than all of my 1911's that I have except my Dan Wesson Valor.

I've shot it against a TRP, LB Custom Carry, Wilson CQB, a heavily customized MC Operator and my buddies Nighthawk Talon. Only gun I own that I haven't shot it against is my springfield Pro operator.

Brent and his guys in the custom shop have made an excellent 1911 and at the price it's at is a steal to me and alot of other people, price is just going to go up

#21 ·
I admit to having no experience first hand with this gun. When I first read many articles about them I really wanted one but when the $2000+ price tag was revealed I lost all interest. I just don't see why the price tag is what it is? It almost feels like Colt is charging an outrageous price to the government so they can't turn around and sell to civilians at a lower price. (I do realize that the military & civilian models are not identical). At $2300 you are entering the Ed Brown pricing territory.

#22 · (Edited)
This is a Colt Custom Shop gun, not a mass produced production model, that's where the price is coming from. And where are you getting $2300 from, did you just throw that price out?

The MSRP is $1995.

I for one will gladly put up my CQBP against Ed Browns, LB's, Wilson's and Nighthawks. This gun is getting rave reviews and for good reason. Don't get me wrong though I own at least one model from every semi-custom 1911 maker out there except Ed Brown and Nighthawk but I have shot them. This gun IS comparable to the semi-custom 1911's and is cheaper, that's why people love them and why people are buying them.

One thing I am praying for is that Brent decides to make this exact model without a rail for the commercial market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.