First USPSA Single Stack Match - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 04:46 PM

First USPSA Single Stack Match

Earlier this year my son (11) and I decided to give formal competition a try. He and I have been competing in some local club non-sanctioned matches that are sort of a meld between IDPA and multigun. For this he moved up to using my CZ-75B, and I decided to concentrate on another pistol. After a couple of matches we joined USPSA, and this was our first "Official" match (and it was a classifier).

I have since the previous match sold that other pistol, so I opted for using my SA Loaded 1911 while I await getting a new one to use. Probably not the best thing to do when you are at a classifier, but hey, I have a long way to improve. I did ok as things go, and actually finished higher than I have been. I came in 10 out of 24 shooters in SS, and 26 out of 54. Seems funny to me that I can go from 9mm to .45acp (full loads too) and actually shoot faster and more accurate. I try and remember that I am really there to shoot and have a good time while learning new things, but it is fun to be a bit competitive with others. I have all winter coming to get ready for next year.

I am also contemplating moving up to Heavy Metal Limited division and using the 1911 as my pistol there. Problem is that I can find nobody that is in that division, everyone is running optics especially with .308. I really wanted to get one pistol for both shoots and am still waffling between getting a 1911 or a CZ SP01 Shadow and staying in Limited Multigun.

-Mark
Old 08-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Banned

Glad to hear you like it.

Don't worry about the classifers... so long as you aren't taking forever and getting all your hits, you will get a C class classification soon.

Guess you have to pick which division to shoot... Can't help you there... I myself am contimplating going to Limited in USPSA... but I sure do like shooting single stack.

And its always always always good to be competitive when shooting USPSA... makes for a MUCH better match for you and others there when you try to do your best.

Mike.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:25 PM

Wolf Creek,
Not sure if it is like this all over, but in my area HM-Tac and HM-Limited draw very few people. Even MG Limited division doesn't get much love. Most people are signing up for Tactical, and after that Open.

Speaking for myself, while I don't mind .45acp and 12 ga, .308 is expensive (even to reload)! Plus I have to confess, I suck with iron sights out past 150 yds, so I need that scope.

I'm afraid I can't help you with you search for the perfect pistol for USPSA pistol and 3-gun because what I did was get one for each! When I started 3-gun (or Multi-gun) I was heavily into SSTK division, and that's all I shot. But in 3-gun, you shoot heads up against guys running double stacks, and that means you're throwing in 2 to 3 times as many reloads as they have to. Plus there was the question of trying to fit four to five SSTK mags on the belt and still have room for an AR mag pouch and all those shotshell caddies. Being a 34" waist, I just plain ran out of room.

So I got a Glock 35, and ran that for 6 months or so. But I just couldn't find the love for the Glock o its trigger, so I went with a 2011 that I've also been shooting in Limited and L-10 in the pistol side of the USPSA house. I still have the SSTK, and play in that division now and then -in fact, shot the Idaho State Championships this weekend with it and had a blast.

So my 2 cents is keep the 1911 for SSTK, but look into some sort of double stack gun that you can shoot well for 3-gun. Chances are, it'll also be a good gun for Limited or L-10 division at pistol matches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 PM

Mike, I am competitive and doing my best. We have a few here that really like to 'game' it (as I am sure there is everywhere), and that is more what I am talking about.

2MC.. You are correct, not many HM shooters period. I don't have a rifle with a scope and have used nothing but irons since the beginning, so distance is not the issue. I have also been told to get a Glock 34/35, and the CZ SP01 Shadow. For now I can use my CZ-75 and stay in the Limited division, but that is only since my son is not shooting multigun yet. I have nowhere near enough to get a 2011, and I have no idea what other double stack .45 I could even use. Funny, I can stomach the increased cost of using the .308 as I can do it in little bits. Even then, as you say, there would be little, if any, competition in HM anyway. Then I am back to practicing and using what I carry, and I carry a 1911, not a Glock, not a CZ. Yeah, tough dilemma right now.

-Mark
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Well, there is always a Para in .40 or .45 with some extended mags. Just gotta keep them less than 141.25 mm.

Just curious, where do you shoot USPSA and MG at? I lived in Helena in the 90's.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MoreChains View Post
Well, there is always a Para in .40 or .45 with some extended mags. Just gotta keep them less than 141.25 mm.

Just curious, where do you shoot USPSA and MG at? I lived in Helena in the 90's.
I have not considered Para as I don't know anyone with one and you know how the internet mill is about how spotty they are and the CS is not very good. If I am incorrect, I will be more than happy to reconsider.

I shoot USPSA in Missoula, and probably will be going to Bozeman (Logan) in a couple weeks to see how they are. For MG I have been sticking in Boulder (Last Chance Handgunners), and plan on branching out to events in Missoula and Billings next year (those are USPSA run). Since those matches are posted, I have been looking at what divisions have for competitors.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCreek View Post
Mike, I am competitive and doing my best. We have a few here that really like to 'game' it (as I am sure there is everywhere), and that is more what I am talking about.

-Mark
I know what you mean... I was saying that its good that you try to be competitive/do your best.... there are people who shoot this sport and don't even bother to do good... kinda sucks when you try to compare yourself to others who aren't trying... hard to judge if you actually shot a "good" match or if you just beat those who didn't bother to win.

MIke.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1005 View Post
Guess you have to pick which division to shoot... Can't help you there... I myself am contimplating going to Limited in USPSA...
Mike.

Oh, GOODY!!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCreek View Post
I have not considered Para as I don't know anyone with one and you know how the internet mill is about how spotty they are and the CS is not very good. If I am incorrect, I will be more than happy to reconsider.

I shoot USPSA in Missoula, and probably will be going to Bozeman (Logan) in a couple weeks to see how they are. For MG I have been sticking in Boulder (Last Chance Handgunners), and plan on branching out to events in Missoula and Billings next year (those are USPSA run).
OK. I knew about Boulder hosting 3-gun matches, but I didn't remember there being any formal clubs in the Helena area, which is why I was asking. I wouldn't mind moving back to the Helena area, but kind of hard to give up living in SW Idaho where there are 3 clubs within 10 to 45 min drive of my house that do USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, and 3-gun/MG. Generally speaking, there is some sort of match every weekend at one of the three clubs.

I know a few guys that have Paras in .40SW and .45acp. Some of them ran good out of the box, others required some tweaking (usually extractor or mags). But once they got them running, they shoot straight and reliably. Mags are cheaper than the STI/SVI ones. Most of the problems with the Paras (IMO) is with the compacts. The 5" guns run pretty good from what I've seen.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 AM

I will have to look around and see what I can find. I would like to shoot one before I buy so I at least know what I am getting into. I would hate to get it and then find out it doesn't fit or work for me worth a darn.

Yes, living there in SW Idaho would have that advantage. Helena is ok overall, and I grew up here. For me in Wolf Creek (Rogers Pass actually), I am almost 1 hour just to get Helena, so 1.5 hours to Boulder, 2 hours to Missoula/Logan, and almost 5 for Billings. On the plus side I live out in the sticks with no neighbors, fishing and any other outdoor activity off the porch. You just have to pick your battles. Heck, between Boulder and Missoula I can have a shoot almost every weekend. Missoula USPSA shoots are on Sunday, which I really like, so Saturday in Boulder and then Sunday in Missoula. Then you add in the high power matches and I have a lot of busy weekends.

-Mark