Single Stack mag. release rule - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 10:40 PM

Single Stack mag. release rule

I shot my first Single Stack Saturday. It went well except my mag. drops. The button is hard to press on my new Gold Cup. I need to reposition the pistol to get a good push on the mag. release. In anticipation of this problem I had ordered a Wilson Combat extended release but someone at the match said the extended releases were not allowed in SSI. I read the rule book but can see no mention of extended mag releases not allowed.Does this mean my only hope is a weaker spring?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 AM

I was wrong;

Don't know what I was thinking, but there is no rule against an extended magazine release.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:36 AM

Now, I've got it;

there is a rule in IDPA about an extended magazine release. They have limits as to how large it can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 08:02 AM

USPSA does not have a rule prohibiting extended, oversize mag releases in Single Stack. Both of my 5" Colts have had the large 2 piece extended release on them for over 20 years.

As stated, IDPA does say they cannot be oversize and cannot be more than 1/16" longer than stock in CDP. Consequently I just replaced the mag release on my 79 Gov't Combat model with a Wilson Tactical release to match my 76 Combat Commander, Kimber and STI, in case I decide to shoot a 5" in CDP.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 AM

One caution

I had an extended release on my Limited gun for a while. I had a bad habit of pressing it enough with my left hand while engaging targets. It doesn't help to see your magazine falling as you are shooting a target. But, it was pretty much larger than a stock release button.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Banned

Nothing about extended mag releases being illegal...other than if it "doesn't fit in the box" which you'd need a 3/4" long mag release to not fit

Welcome to the great sport of USPSA... one warning I must give you.. there are people out there who "think" they know the rule book, there are people who "make up" rules thinking they are in the rule book, and there are people who operate on the "that can't be right" mentality and do stuff as they please.

I have had ROs tell me stuff like "oh you can't take a sight picture after putting a mag in(during make ready), another who told our squad "you can only use 1 mag on a texas star in efforts to save time." , etc. etc. etc.

So take everything you hear with a grain of salt, especially from someone who isn't running the match.

Best recommendation is to read the rulebook(as you have, good job!) to fimiliarize yourself so you can call BS if someone tries to tell you something wrong.

MIke.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerPast View Post
Don't know what I was thinking, but there is no rule against an extended magazine release.
Not a problem. It is good to have this forum to confirm these questions and answers. Enjoyed shooting Saturday, good squad which really helps when you are starting out with new equipment in a new division (for me).
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
1911 Aficionado

If you shoot both IDPA and USPSA, I'd consider not using different mag release buttons for the two sports. I put an oversized button on my USPSA gun, and all it did was cause me to start missing the stock button on my IDPA and carry guns; stock mag releases on all my guns, now.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 PM

I have to break my grip to reach the mag release as well, but with practice it becomes second nature. The 1/16th extended release does help, and so does relieving the leftside grip panel. I see where some grip makers are putting a much bigger cut-outs than was the norm.

The nice thing about breaking your grip is you never have to worry about your finger being on the trigger...!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerPast View Post
there is a rule in IDPA about an extended magazine release. They have limits as to how large it can be.
0.040" longer is GTG. 0.060" is a no go.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP9 View Post
0.040" longer is GTG. 0.060" is a no go.
The IDPA rule book specifies a maximum of .200" from the frame. A stock catch measures between .090" and .100". So a mag catch extended by .100" would be legal. My Ed Brown mag catch measures .193" when installed in my Colt 1991.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 08-15-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alland View Post
The IDPA rule book specifies a maximum of .200" from the frame. A stock catch measures between .090" and .100". So a mag catch extended by .100" would be legal. My Ed Brown mag catch measures .193" when installed in my Colt 1991.
I put in an extra 0, they should read

0.200" from the frame is GTG and 0.400" No go.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM

I have the same problem, i have been drilling to use my left hand thumb to release the mag when i go for the new magazine.

I have an extended release on my amt .45 but not on my 38 super or on my new kimber 9mm.

Going to keep the stock release button on all 3 and just learn to use my left hand thumb..
Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 AM

toys vs tools; I use carry guns, set up for carry

That way I'm never confused.
That's what I said: "Never confused".
When I'm carrying, I mean......

Buttons for releasing mags need to be easily accessible, yet not prone to inadvertant actuation.

Quote:
toys vs tools; I use carry guns, set up for carry
Can you smell my moral superiority from there? I'm cocky right now 'cause I SMOKED my latest Classifier 03-05 "Paper Poppers" with a 46 points 7.49 second run. SMOKED.
No doubt 'cause it involved no movement.... www.gmpsvt.com

Old 08-17-2011, 08:25 AM

I run a two piece extended on my 1911. I've never dropped a mag accidentally. The frame is thin. Now a 2011? I used to run one, but like was posted above, I used to drop mags all the time. Table starts, even right after the draw as the button was depressed by my holster on the way out. The frame is wider so the button sticks out further on the 2011's.
www.youtube.com/want2race441
Old 08-17-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony357 View Post
I have the same problem, i have been drilling to use my left hand thumb to release the mag when i go for the new magazine.

I have an extended release on my amt .45 but not on my 38 super or on my new kimber 9mm.

Going to keep the stock release button on all 3 and just learn to use my left hand thumb..
Not a good way to go, IMO. It will be significantly slower.

I run the Brazos Cyclone button on my game guns on an STI extended mag release. I have never inadverdently dropped a mag but everyone's hands are different.

I remove the button for IDPA (which I shoot very little). It doesn't seem to make much of a difference.