1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post
The person scoring in question had: 2 flashlights on his belt, 1 combat knife, canteen of water, first aid kit and sometimes wears a combat vest loaded with much more, and shows up like this every time.
...That is pretty much the definition of a range NAZI IMO.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:01 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmith View Post
Yes, I'll admit it took awhile for me to get that one. I also DO NOT care for the stages that tell you exactly how to shoot the stage. IMHO you sent up the stage, and let the shooter shot it how he wants, as long as the rules are followed. Example Standing at a close door the shooter MUST open the door with his shooting hand, then draw his pistol and engage the threats. To keep less knowing shooters from sweeping them selves because they open the door and draw their pistol at the same time. I very rarely occupy my shooting hand with anything other than my pistol. But then when I first started IDPA I learn first match I shot not to sweeping myself. I was always prepared to take the risk(?) I wouldn't shoot myself. I've done some unknowing things before but shooting myself is NOT on that list.
Since CoFs are scenario-driven, you can't have a stage that allows someone to "shoot it the way they want to". If the scenario says two guys jump you at the ATM, and THEN two more come out of the bushes, you can't shoot the latter two before the first two. If one target is closer, you have to shoot that one. There's just very little room for doing what you want. The creativity is in the mind of the course designer, and shooter's job is to execute better than everyone else.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:39 PM

RickB sorry I think you are trying to comparing apples to oranges. My example was stating an example of shooting technique, and a tactical procedure. Which was set up for the safety of less experienced shooters who may have swept themselves opening the door, due to lack of experience. Your example is of tactical priority. The stage I was referring to designated how to open a door, which in my opinion was tactically unsound since you were occupying your shooting hand with something besides your pistol. Not sound tactics, in my book. Your example if shot near to far would be sound tactics, as the closer threat needs to be taken out first, according to tactical priority. Shoot it far to near would have been a procedural for not shooting in tactical priority/sequence.

IMHO a course design should not specify the exact procedure in how to shoot the stage from the buzzer. You build the stage, set the scenario and let the shooter shoot the scenario according to his training and skill level as long as they shoot it within the confines of the rules. It is NOT the course designer or the RSOs job to lead the shooter by the hand and in essences say do this, don't do that, shoot this target then that target. That's not the spirit of the game IMHO. As humans we don't learn if we do everything according to someone else idea, we learn by making mistakes and learning from those mistakes. So let's just agree that we have differences of opinion and agree to disagree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 07:54 PM

Very, very interesting! I recently joined a gun club and plan on attending my first IPDA match Saturday, August 13th. I'll take my gear but probably just watch and learn the first time. I've seen a couple IPDA matches on TV but no southpaws.

Question: Being left handed, could I be at a disadvantage with the IPDA prop setup?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 PM

You just as well shoot, you'll have a lot more fun and learn more shooting than watching.
Whether you'll be at a disadvantage or not who knows, you'll just have to wait and see and even if you are it shouldn't be enough to make much difference.

Greg
Old 08-07-2011, 06:42 AM

USPSA rules

Quote:
In USPSA you can stand right in front of a row of targets and shoot at other targets with no hassle from rules or RO.
USPSA has evolved to more of a "shooting gallery game" based on speed and accuracy. High round count stages and complex course designs are the norm for most matches. Many stage designs allow the shooter to figure out the best way to shoot the stage according to their weapon platform and/or magazine capacity. USPSA is still a lot of fun and very challenging.

IDPA is based more on self defense scenarios, where cover garments are used for concealed carry; and using cover to shoot at threats is mandatory for most scenarios. Stage designs are limited to a maximum of 18 rounds scored, however, more shots may be fired if a shooter wants to make up a shot. IDPA is also fun, just a different set of rules.

Both USPSA and IDPA will enhance gun handling skills, but can be frustrating when switching from one game to the other due to the rule requirements. I shot USPSA for over ten years and still shoot, but I had trained myself to reload as soon as I moved from a shooting position, and often times would have the reload complete before taking a full step. It was and still is a hard habit to break when shooting IDPA, since a reload has to be behind cover.

The other tough habit to break was conducting a speed reload. I never let the gun run dry in USPSA, but running to slide lock is often preferred when shooting IDPA, otherwise the mag has to be stowed on your person.

Different rules, but both are fun....!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
Very, very interesting! I recently joined a gun club and plan on attending my first IPDA match Saturday, August 13th. I'll take my gear but probably just watch and learn the first time. I've seen a couple IPDA matches on TV but no southpaws.

Question: Being left handed, could I be at a disadvantage with the IPDA prop setup?
I shoot at a range that the MD is a lefty, and he and his #2 man design the stages. You can tell who designed which ones. If the stage is severly designed for a lefty, I just switch hands and shoot left handed.

You can be at a disadvantage but it shouldn't be too bad.

Don't forget that the COF's are supposed to be revolver friendly.

Good luck at the match.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 AM

pointed point

Onme can shoot USPSA stages EXACTLY like IDPA.
There will be no IDPA RO, rules or interpetations, and you won't win.

But you will get more than a 40-rd match.

I have traveled around New England, and as far as South Carolina, shooting USPSA, and stages vary wildly in rd-ct, size, complexity, and movement.
Wildly......

Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 AM

I went to the Single Stack Classic a few years ago and the first stage I shot, the RO asked me if I shot IDPA. Of course my answer was yes, and how did you know? He said it was easy for him to tell, because I used cover?

As far as the O.P. question to being at a disadvantage being a lefty. I would say that you wouldn't be anymore of a disadvantage than you would be in real life. So go have some fun and enjoy the sport and the new friends your going to make. Just remember it's a GAME, don't take it too serious. Be SAFE and shoot straight.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Guys, an RO is IPSC/USPSA but an SO in IDPA.

I just noticed this.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post

But I really shouldn't complain that much. IDPA was good to me. I do believe I shot it exclusively for way too long. I should have tried USPSA much sooner.
This is exactly the situation I am in right now. I shot IDPA for years but just started USPSA. I am now shooting USPSA much more than IDPA.

As for the original topic. I have run into a couple of mild range nazi type SOs. But mroe than that I have seem too many SOs that don't enforce the rules properly. At a local match, while not right, it isn't as bad. Where it will have more of an impact is when those same shooters move up to State/Sectionals/Nationals levels and get a bunch of penalties because their home range weren't following the rules.

There was one time where I had a question on a COF and tried to ask the SO multiple times . He just kept interrupting me before I could finish the question and saying "What is your problem? The stage is very simple." I almost yelled at him to shut up and let me finish my question. I was soo mad I started walking to my car to leave. I decided to find the MD and ask him the question. He answered it in about 3 seconds. I walked back to the squad and told everyone what the answer was and that the few shooters who had gotten to shoot the stage had done it wrong. The SO just grumbled and the rest of us shot the stage correctly. I have not been back there since.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
This is exactly the situation I am in right now. I shot IDPA for years but just started USPSA. I am now shooting USPSA much more than IDPA.

As for the original topic. I have run into a couple of mild range nazi type SOs. But mroe than that I have seem too many SOs that don't enforce the rules properly. At a local match, while not right, it isn't as bad. Where it will have more of an impact is when those same shooters move up to State/Sectionals/Nationals levels and get a bunch of penalties because their home range weren't following the rules.

There was one time where I had a question on a COF and tried to ask the SO multiple times . He just kept interrupting me before I could finish the question and saying "What is your problem? The stage is very simple." I almost yelled at him to shut up and let me finish my question. I was soo mad I started walking to my car to leave. I decided to find the MD and ask him the question. He answered it in about 3 seconds. I walked back to the squad and told everyone what the answer was and that the few shooters who had gotten to shoot the stage had done it wrong. The SO just grumbled and the rest of us shot the stage correctly. I have not been back there since.
It's funny but I'm shooting more IDPPA than IPSC/USPSA.

I see the same things that you did/do. As for being asked a question I will do my best to answer it or get the answer, however I won't tell you how to shoot the COF.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswear View Post
it was a good call like it or not and if all the shooters in his squad went to the so it sounds like there are a bunch of people there that don't know the rules.

Greg
+1