IDPA 1911's - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM

I'm currently shooting a Sig Tac Ops & Ed Brown 8 rnd mags in CDP. I also shoot a S&W Pro Series in 9mm for ESP. Both are great shooters with the limiting factor being the screw between the gun and the SO

Seriously, get a reliable shooter with sights you can see well. Beyond that, it ain't about the gear, it the skills. Trust me, a new gun is not the "magic bullet", dry firing and rounds down range are.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:07 PM

How do you guys that are shooting IDPA keep your guns from showing holster wear?
My pistols all show holster wear pretty quickly. My Colt didn't take long to wear through the blue, about 3 months. My Baer I bought with thin blueing on the sharp edges, and now has the bluing gone on all hand contact surfaces, grip safety, manual safety, front strap, back edges of frame. It is now just a nice patina. I may eventually refinish in Black T, but right now don't want to separate it.
My Springfield Champion has already been refinished one time by SA, within the first year. It is now worn again on all edges.
I see the photos of these and wonder how in the world the guns stay looking new.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng208 View Post
How do you guys that are shooting IDPA keep your guns from showing holster wear?
A Hard Hat surface treatment and a leather lined holster has worked well so far. I like the look of a well used gun though, so when my black Valor eventually wears I won't be refinishing it.

COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGun View Post
A Hard Hat surface treatment and a leather lined holster has worked well so far. I like the look of a well used gun though, so when my black Valor eventually wears I won't be refinishing it.

what holster is that?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 AM

Garrett Silent Thunder Champion.
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 06-05-2011, 11:26 AM

9mm

Old 06-05-2011, 12:15 PM

I have been using a G19 the last couple of years, but the last match I decided to start using my .45.

It was not as clean as my G19, but I think I will swap over and start using a .45 full time.

I see no reason not to, and it is what I am switching to little by little.

Jerry
Old 06-05-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng208 View Post
My pistols all show holster wear pretty quickly. My Colt didn't take long to wear through the blue, about 3 months. My Baer I bought with thin blueing on the sharp edges, and now has the bluing gone on all hand contact surfaces, grip safety, manual safety, front strap, back edges of frame. It is now just a nice patina. I may eventually refinish in Black T, but right now don't want to separate it.
My Springfield Champion has already been refinished one time by SA, within the first year. It is now worn again on all edges.
I see the photos of these and wonder how in the world the guns stay looking new.
The key word in there is blue...most of the guns in this thread are not blued. Blue and park finished will show wear very quickly. I also only really use my comp guns for comp...my carry gun shows a lot more wear.

Then of course there is the magic of photgraphy and lighting...it also doesn't hurt to do you picture taking when the gun is fairly new.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:37 PM

Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 PM
1911 Aficionado

I've been using a suede-lined Safariland with my painted Hi-Power Mk. III, and though I don't have a slew of time with the combo, it does seem easy on the finish. http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=567
Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 PM

This is pretty much the only 1911 I have left. I sold all my others to buy ammo for this baby. It shoots S/S and CDP.

Last edited by samuse; 08-01-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGun View Post

Can we get some other views of your IDPA rig?
Old 08-05-2011, 01:58 PM

IDPA Setup

I have a Springfield Loaded 1911 in 9mm and have really enjoyed shooting it in IDPA so far. Here's some pics and a list of parts I added to mine:

10-8 rear sight with .140 notch
10-8 flat trigger
10-8 stainless slide stop
10-8 stainless grip screws
10-8 stainless mag release
Wilson Combat G.I. style recoil spring guide and 10-8 stainless plug
Wilson Combat ETM 10rd 9mm mags (6)
Novak fiber optic front sight
Smith & Alexander stainless mainspring housing
VZ grey golf balled grips
Wolff 11lb variable recoil spring and 19lb mainspring

Here's a pic of my IDPA gear: Wilderness Instructors Belt, Raven Concealment holster and dual mag pouch and Wilson ETM mags.

and the wisdom to know the difference.