50 yds Bullseye, adjust sight or bullet? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM

50 yds Bullseye, adjust sight or bullet?

There are some mixed reactions on the subject, some use different loads and others slightly adjust red dot sights. I think re-adjusting can have more negative consequences. What do you do?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:07 PM

If the red dot has absolutely repeatable adjustments then I would do that, but IMX not all are that good. I would much rather make a sight adjustment than try to keep two different loads.

I don't have much expereince with the newer red dots so they may be better than my experience
Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 PM

With a good reddot, like an Ultradot, put you pistol on sandbags and shoot 3-5 shots. Adjust elevation/windage. Repeat. When the group center (no matter how large the group) is the middle-Xring, your dot is basically sighted in for 50 yards. There may be some very slight tweaks, because generally when you shoot one handed, the sight is going to be a little farther away from your eye versus two-handed sandbag shooting.

After that, all the precision comes from your reloads (use as good bullets) and your pistol accuracy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 06:10 AM

Sight adjustment

I did not use optical sights when I shot NRA Bullseye. I used a standard hardball style gun, no heavy rib, etc. I changed out the springs for using the gun as a wad gun, and used a heavier mainspring and recoil spring for shooting Hardball matches.

I used a 185 grain swaged bullet with 3.8 grains of Bullseye powder for the short line, and a 200 gr. lead bullet with 4.2grains of Bullseye for 50 yds. I always used a center hold, and did not have to change elevation from 50 yds back to 25 yds. It was just one less thing I had to worry about! I would most likely use the same procedure if I used an optical sight.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:51 AM

I never had much luck moving the sights around after I got zeroed. In fact, one of my earliest coaches in the USMC said one of the most dangerous things you can give a new shooter is a screwdriver that fits the rear sight.
Turns out he was right?!
With the Red Dots and similar, you can move the point of aim and hold it much easier than with fixed sights. Unless you are shooting at extreme ranges there isn't much point in moving the sights around. Even then I'd make an adjustment in point of aim as long as it didn't obscure the target.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Pretty much all the Bullseye shooters I know around Central TX adjust the site. I shoot an Ultradot and for me, it's 4 clicks up going from 25-50 shooting 4.1 grns of VV N310 under a 200gr LSWC. Lots of testing got me to that load which is great for accuracy with the bullets I load. The Ultradot is repeatable, but I do tap the sight turret a couple of times with my plastic screwdriver handle after making an adjustment, just for luck.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:00 PM

?Adjust or not from long line to short line?

For my load, 200 grain LSWC over 4.0 grains of Bullseye, there's about a two (2) inch change in elevation from the long to short line.

So if your group is at the bottom of the X-ring on the long line you'll be at the top of the X-ring on the short line, and ~half your shots will be 10's instead of X's.

So I guess it's a matter of do you want 100-10X or are you satisfied with 100-5X.
Distinguished Pistol Shot #1157
Distinguished Revolver #75