kimber rimfire .22 conversion kit & a pt1911.... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 01:01 AM

kimber rimfire .22 conversion kit & a pt1911....

Bought my pt1911alr some time ago and today my father who owns a kimber gave me one of the kimber rimfire .22 conversion kits. After searching here and other sites (mainly google searches) I have a mixed bag of answers on the fit and function of these together. So, figuring the worst that could happen is it doesn't work, I could just trade the kit down for a decent used .22, I went ahead and threw the upper on my Taurus frame. Without discharging the gun (no time to make it to the range today, maybe tomorrow at lunch), I can see two possible problems out the gate. The hammer doesn't fully connect with the pin for the site on the slide is just a hair in the way, stupid Taurus lock. Simple fix is to raise the rear site and go on my way. Once I figure out the actual best site position, can I just notch out a space on the site to clear the hammer? Also the safety will not engage, the left side seems to sit too close to the frame to allow it to fully engage. Though I don't really see this as a problem, other than the range manager asks that any pistol with sites not set on a Target need have safety on. Anyway, is there any other fit issues I need to be aware of? Anyone have any experience with .22 kits and a pt1911?
So its clear from the get go, I did check the kimber site and it says that this kit won't work, regardless, the only problems I see without putting rounds through the gun are the two I stated. I also did a search of the forums, but came up empty handed. Thanks all for the help!
"The dog protects the house, but is too old & lazy to do much more than bark and/or lick you to death. The cat on the other hand will claw your eyes out before you know it if you happen to step into the house without introducing yourself to her. She is the reason I'm missing half my right pinky toe."
Old 02-03-2011, 02:29 PM

Well, I got a chance to take to the range today. The Kimber kit was DRY. It hung up on the first two shots and FTE the second. After some much needed oil, it ran like a top. the only real problem is because of the Taurus hammer, the rear site is way high. I don't want to dremel it so I might look into a hammer upgrade. I guess no one else sees much of a use for this, since no one has commented, but if anyone has any experience with .22 kits, let me know the brand and the fit. thanks!
"The dog protects the house, but is too old & lazy to do much more than bark and/or lick you to death. The cat on the other hand will claw your eyes out before you know it if you happen to step into the house without introducing yourself to her. She is the reason I'm missing half my right pinky toe."
Old 02-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Hold on a minute, I am interested in this. I was planning on buying either a used CZ Kadet or a new Sig 226 w/ the .22lr slide/barrel. Then I read about this exact Kimber slide and barrel combo on another site. So this is a third possibility. But I guess that a Taurus donor frame isn't the first choice judging from what you've said here.

My thought was to buy a used RIA GI 1911 and dedicate the frame to installation of the Kimber slide. Also, might that solve the fit issue with the left side safety?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfritz View Post
Hold on a minute, I am interested in this. I was planning on buying either a used CZ Kadet or a new Sig 226 w/ the .22lr slide/barrel. Then I read about this exact Kimber slide and barrel combo on another site. So this is a third possibility. But I guess that a Taurus donor frame isn't the first choice judging from what you've said here.

My thought was to buy a used RIA GI 1911 and dedicate the frame to installation of the Kimber slide. Also, might that solve the fit issue with the left side safety?
It might work, from what I have read, some frames work, some don't. You might be better off with a RIA. Though I love my Taurus, I also have thought about picking up a rock island for 350 or whatever and throw the .22 on it. Have never heard of any fit issues with them, and the only reason I tried a Taurus (even after reading from kimber that they did not fit...in big red letters) is because its the only 1911 I have on hand. Now that I have put 200 or so rounds through it, the safety works. The sites still off, until I get a new hammer... stupid Taurus hammer lock. If I want to keep my gun from being shot, I'll safe it or keep in on my side. And when I do lock it and loose the key like a friend did, I'll toss the brick at a bad guy!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 AM

I have my Ciener Platinum Cup conversion on a dedicated RIA tuned lower that works great. Have never tried to put it on my PT1911s, just might have to give it try sometime this spring when the weather gets decent.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM

I have a Kimber 22 kit that I use on a Taurus SS. The only thing I had to do was to fit the Taurus Hammer by filing a tad off of the top front of the hammer (that funky shape those Brazilians use). The Kimber does not lock back after the last round. I have put about 10k rounds thru it with hardly any problems and by hardly i mean it's not really worth mentioning. I have pretty much used nothing but the Remington bulk and me and the misses have a blast everytime we hit the range with it.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Here's a review I did at the Taurus forum

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...?topic=15013.0
Old 02-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo.bloke View Post

awesome write up! I like your idea of filing down the hammer, can you tell me how you did it? I actually just have learned to over compensate for the sight being off... kinda a jerk thing to do, but my dad and brother can't hit anything with it..... makes me laugh. I thought about working on the sight its self, but being as I might sell the kit or put it on anther gun, would like to do as little as possible. thanks so much mojo. again, awesome right up!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 PM

I own both a PT 1911 and the kimber .22 conversion kit. I use it for training for USPSA. As long as you use good ammo, it shoots great. Very easy to install on the Taurus frame. Someone mentioned a problem with the rear sight height getting in the way of the hammer. I raised it just high enough to clear the hammer and I can hit anything from 10 yards all the way out to 30 yards. It will stay inside the "A" zone of a USPSA target at those ranges and will chew a hole the size of a dime at 15 yards.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:58 PM

Taurus PT19 on Kimber .. conversion

I own a Taurus PT1911 .38S and it would not feed the last two cartridges.
It was a safe queen until I put a Kimber conversion on it. It is a nail
driver. I have been shooting Remington bulk in it with no problems.
I also have two RIA frames with GSG kits on them. They have no problems.
I built up the frames with parts from Midway. The GSG kits I have will
not work on the PT1911, the slide rails are too tight.
P.S. I did have to file the tip of the hammer, but what the heck, that hammer
with that stupid lock on it is a piece of junk. One of these days I will
swap it out. It has locked up on me once.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo.bloke View Post

Mojo. I rad your range report. Nice job. BTW, GSG mags will work nicely with that Kimber
conversion kit. BTW, are you from Houston?
Old 11-29-2015, 02:07 PM

Hey, Nojo, I forgot, the Kimber sllide locks back on the PT1911 using GSG mags.

https://www.americantactical.us/919/detail.html
Old 03-24-2017, 05:44 AM

I have the kimber conversion kit. It does work on my PT1911 AR. The only issues I've had with it is the occasional FTE FTL and I just chalk that up to the conversion kit and/or ammo used. Hope it works out for you.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faybert View Post
I have the kimber conversion kit. It does work on my PT1911 AR. The only issues I've had with it is the occasional FTE FTL and I just chalk that up to the conversion kit and/or ammo used. Hope it works out for you.
faybert.
experiment around with .22 ammo, not all ammo works well in some
conversions and other conversions will eat anything. But what the heck,
these are not defence weapons, they are fun guns. Right?
If you are going to leave the kit on the PT1911, I would suggest a
lighter main spring on the hammer. That is where the kits usually
fail, having to activate a strong main spring.
Blackie
Old 03-24-2017, 09:51 PM

Yeah it a fun gun use it for form and practice. The FTE and FTL add to the fun with unexpected malfunction drills. So all in all I have no complaints. Thanks for the info Blackie.