1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 08:21 PM

Browning Hi-Power Digital Camo 9mm

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and new to the Hi-Power. I picked one up the other day, put about 500 rounds through it. So far, I love the pistol. Does anyone have any experiences with the newer Brownings in camo paint job? Same as the older models?

I've been doing some reading on this forum and I've got a few questions. I would like to have a lighter trigger pull, but I do not want to remove the magazine safety as I think it is actually a good idea(after a lot of thinking). Are there any other ways to lighten up the trigger?

Also, what other upgrades would yall recommend?

Thanks,

J
Old 11-02-2009, 09:24 PM

Camo

I have the same pistol and 2 1981's with a trigger job. There is not that much really in my opinion. Just keep enjoying the pistol and the fingers will do the rest!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:07 PM

You can have a trigger job done and keep the mag safety. I would go with Don Williams. Upgrades are endless on a HI Power all up to what you like. I would recommend better sights and a trigger job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 PM

painted finish is nothing more than a dipped on skin similar to compound bows and gun stocks. Its not a durable finish and will scratch very easy. Any painted finish is inferior to a plating or chemical finish that turns the metal a different color. One thing I don't get is all the ppl. painting their guns with weird camo and sniper paint jobs. Basically these painted guns are worth less at resale. If you took a browning hp new $900 and painted with some type of cheap back on finish it would make the pistol only worth about $400 at the point of resale. A gun is always better to be kept in its factory condition except for the addition of good grips, sights, safeties , hammer , trigger etc.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 PM

That was a little rough on the camo guns.
J N :
Here why I say the options are endless http://www.heirloomprecision.com/photos/SRT/ and they go even further with their Signature model

Most new guns could use a trigger job and better sights so that was an easy answer. A lot of people get bitten by the hammer on a Hi Power and is corrected with a different hammer or have it modified.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton850 View Post
painted finish is nothing more than a dipped on skin similar to compound bows and gun stocks. Its not a durable finish and will scratch very easy. Any painted finish is inferior to a plating or chemical finish that turns the metal a different color. One thing I don't get is all the ppl. painting their guns with weird camo and sniper paint jobs. Basically these painted guns are worth less at resale. If you took a browning hp new $900 and painted with some type of cheap back on finish it would make the pistol only worth about $400 at the point of resale. A gun is always better to be kept in its factory condition except for the addition of good grips, sights, safeties , hammer , trigger etc.
The Black Matte epoxy finish of the MkIII is a much more durable finish than the polished blue. The polished blue will rust & pit quite easily in a humid climate, not so with the matte epoxy finish.

Don't confuse Krylon with professional grade epoxy resin finishes.

As far as value of a painted Hi Power.......someone is buying the Mossy Oak and Digital Camo Hi Powers, otherwise CDNN would be dumping them at discount prices.

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military/police/fire, schoolteachers)
Old 11-06-2009, 08:28 PM

epoxy finish is nothing more than enamal paint with a catalyst added , to quicken the hardening and drying time. Its still a painted finish, very similar to aircraft paint. Powder coat is the hardest epoxy like coating and can't be used on guns becuase of its thickness. All these other finishes that custom shops offer are nothing more than a two part paint that can either oven cure or let it air dry. They are really ripping people off for what they charge to do a gun. Hard chrome plating is still the best finish made, then nickel, parkerizing and then bluing. Gun coat finishes will scratch easy and the only reason it may be superior to bluing for a while is that its thicker and can take multiple scratches in the same area before the bare metal is exposed.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton850 View Post
What is it with all the camo bashing. It is a Browning Hi-Power Factory finish! How does that detract from the value? It's been to the range more than a dozen times, thrown in and out of the range bag and still looks like I just bought it. It got my wife into shooting because she didn't want a "black gun". That makes 2 shooters in the house now and I am fine with that. Gun snobs are really making me thinking about going elsewhere to share my passion!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:55 PM

Hello. Enjoy your pistol. If you like the camo finish, it really doesn't matter what other people think; "different strokes for different folks" and so forth. I am not sure that the camo pattern finish will be as popular as the plain ol' black matte finish for those not insisting on blue finishes, I don't see the finish itself decreasing the gun's value so long as it was applied by the factory. A really worn or beat up Hi Power will command less than an equivalent one in better shape.

Whether I like it or not is immaterial; how well it pleases you, the buyer/owner, is what counts.

Best.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:31 AM

I bought the camo finish because it was the only one I could find during a weekend search. I bought the HP because I already new it was a good shooter.

Yeah, I would prefer it in black, but function is my number one concern, and looks or cosmetics being a distant 2nd.

I've been going back and forth between Brownells, midway, cheaperthandirt, trying to find the best place to find parts for the HP. What's yalls favorite place to go to?

J

Also, I appreciate all the replys, and comments so far, it's been helpful.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
J N: ...I've been going back and forth between Brownells, midway, cheaperthandirt, trying to find the best place to find parts for the HP. What's yalls favorite place to go to?...
Other than maybe a new recoil spring every 2,000 rounds or so, what other parts do you need for a new HP?

I get mine from the same place Brownells & Midway do- Browning.

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military/police/fire, schoolteachers)
Old 11-07-2009, 11:00 AM

dogtown,

ambidextrous mag button, always practice with both hands, and can qualify with both, I am just trying to make my reloading faster. maybe some better sights, and some magazines.

J
Old 11-07-2009, 05:52 PM

I had my BHP black oxide finished and then sprayed on some black paint on it, to protect the finish. When the paint is scratched, I just spray some more back on. It's worked so far for me on a carry gun.

Oh, and I removed the mag safety, had a trigger job done on it, installed an ambi safety and extended slide release, and Trijicon tritium night sights.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:10 PM

LavaRed,

Do the Trijicon tritium night sights drop in? Or is machining of the slide needed?

J
Old 11-10-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N View Post
I would like to have a lighter trigger pull, but I do not want to remove the magazine safety as I think it is actually a good idea(after a lot of thinking). Are there any other ways to lighten up the trigger?
From what I've gathered in my homework, a reduced power hammer spring should reduce the trigger pull.

Any one else please feel free to add or change info, I'm no smith by any means.

I really good lube on the trigger parts should make things move a little smoother but I find that usually only works if the gun is of a bow design like 1911 or after cleaning a really dirty trigger. Again, this may or may not be recommended just something I play around with.
#0274 CBOB, PM-9, and CCO!
Lt. Aldo Raine: Yeah, in a basement. You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen A. Camp View Post
Hello. Enjoy your pistol. If you like the camo finish, it really doesn't matter what other people think; "different strokes for different folks" and so forth. I am not sure that the camo pattern finish will be as popular as the plain ol' black matte finish for those not insisting on blue finishes, I don't see the finish itself decreasing the gun's value so long as it was applied by the factory. A really worn or beat up Hi Power will command less than an equivalent one in better shape.

Whether I like it or not is immaterial; how well it pleases you, the buyer/owner, is what counts.

Best.
I agree with the above post. Don't worry about the guys that bash painted guns. Bottom line is it's your gun, you bought it with your money, you get to say how you want your gun to look. Me personally, I don't buy a gun and worry about the resale value. I don't plan on selling any of my firearms. If I do, that means I am broke and would take the first offer I get, painted gun or not. JMHO.

Ooops, my bad. Did not realize this was an old thread.

Last edited by MotoServDog; 08-10-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned

Always good to have one's significant other on one's side. You can get direct replacement tritiums or the mill the slide kind. Ambi mag release, don't think so but I am left handed and the right handed one on the left side of the gun works for me with the gun in either hand.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Cylinder & Slide offers an HP ambi release.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index....dshow&ref=1002

Watch the video. Pretty nifty but pretty spendy with shipping.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Banned

I did not know such a part was available. My forced upon me not so fantastic plastic has an ambi mag release but my left hand has not figured out how to use it, nor does it try.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:07 PM

Be cautious about damaging the camo job.

I handled one at Bass Pro last week, and the finish was already wearing off the slide, on the edges of the cutouts at the front. I would have hoped it would be tougher.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:52 PM

Hello, to All,

As a seriously Lefty-ized shooter, I could never understand how right handed shooters could tolerate the supposedly "right handed" mag and slide releases.
For me, the "right handed" mag and slide releases are much easier to manipulate with my left index finger.

The right handed only thumb safeties are something else all together, for me.
I've read lefty shooters stating that they can somehow manipulate righty thumb safeties on and off with the left hand, but not me. Maybe my hands are too small, or whatever, but on an single action auto I require an ambidextrous thumb safety to do it left handed. But maybe having smaller hands is what makes it easier for me to manipulate the mag and slide releases left handed.

Does anybody use the C&S mag and slide releases? I would be interested in hearing your impressions of their utility.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 PM

Glad you like your new BHP. I'd like to see one in person - looks interesting in print. Don't let the naysayers get you down, you can always buy other additional varieties for your stable :-), its contageous. Happy shooting!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N View Post
LavaRed,

Do the Trijicon tritium night sights drop in? Or is machining of the slide needed?

J
Yes they are.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 PM

Meprolights and Trijicons are almost drop ins. Some filing on the sight's dovetail might be in order. My gunsmith bashes them on while I wait (10 minutes, max.) If you are handier than me, you could probably do it your self.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O