Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-13-2020, 11:13 PM

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork1911A1 View Post
I couldn't get Autocomp to get me to 830fps with 230gr (I think 790-800fps was top end). I'm trying it with 185 & 200gr bullets but they're still a work in progress.
I really didn't notice if TiteGroup was snappy, but it wasn't harsh, unlike Power Pistol which has a more noticeable recoil at the higher end charges.
Right now, Bullseye & CFE Pistol are my two go to powders. But I have to mention that Bullseye with HiTek coated bullets produced quite a bit of smoke.

BTW, I forgot to mention I have used 231 but had the best results with it using 200gr bullets. Makes a nice, easy shooting target loads.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Great info! i will not use autocomp just yet. I will load up some 231, titegroup and unique. I appreciate your info.
Ray
Old 08-13-2020, 11:16 PM

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Methane View Post
W231/HP-38 are favorites though for trying to achieve full velocity I prefer Accurate #5.

5.0gr of HP-38 and a 200gr LSWC is my standard range load and has enough energy that it isn't that much more recoil for full house loads.

That is the first time I have read that assessment of TG though I have written it several times. I like TG for reduced loads in Magnum revolvers but I feel that it is unsuitable for use in JMB's pistol.

That is purely subjective but I shot a couple of mags of reduced loads behind 200gr LRN bullets and stopped at the end of the second load in the ladder I had worked up and pulled the remaining rounds down I disliked it so much...

It does burn clean, I won't deny that. It just doesn't feel right to me in the 1911.
Thank You. Tite group worked well for me in the .45 Colt but I have not tried it in anything else. I dont think I will pursue titegroup too much
Ray
Old 08-13-2020, 11:57 PM

I use HP38 for 45acp and 45 Colt. Works great in both.

So does Unique though. I have no problems with Unique in my dillon measures.

Once you get your load figured out, get a bullet mould, lead furnace and a good supply of lead. Cast bullets and 45acp are a perfect match!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2020, 01:41 AM

My go to load is Win 231/5.5/200 gr LSWC (Hodgdon P-38/Win 231 same powder according to web site. ALWAYS check ANYTHING anyone tells you about powders/charges at powder maker web site/manual!!). Use NEW manuals to load/check older manuals/loads. I used an "older" Winchester free manual and they had one load that I used with super hard cast 230 gr RN that were super accurate and super fast (yes cromoed them at match). Load not listed now! It would make a great bear load though!

The thing about the .45 ACP is there are at least a dozen, or two dozen, maybe three dozen, powders that work just fine! Use what you can find, like, can afford, is handy and don't sweat the small stuff like some people do. Have fun loading and shooting!

Last edited by Jennifers; 08-14-2020 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:13 AM

I have used Titegroup almost exclusively in .45 ACP for years. When I shot a lot of competition, I liked the economy and that it was fairly clean. I also use it a lot in many other rounds like .38 SPL, 9mm and moderate loads for the magnum revolver cartridges. I use W231 mainly for light loads in .44 SPL/Mag and .45 Colt.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:54 AM

I use Unique for .45 ACP, .38 Special, .357 Mag and 16/ 12 Ga. shotgun shells. I also shoot them over a chronograph to verify the loads as stated in my number 13 Speer Reloading Manual and adjust the load +/- if needed. IMOA Unique works as advertised and I don't have to stock different powders for each caliber I reload for. It comes in 8 lb. containers for easy storage.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:43 PM

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post
I use HP38 for 45acp and 45 Colt. Works great in both.

So does Unique though. I have no problems with Unique in my dillon measures.

Once you get your load figured out, get a bullet mould, lead furnace and a good supply of lead. Cast bullets and 45acp are a perfect match!
Thank You
Ray
Old 08-14-2020, 01:45 PM

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifers View Post
My go to load is Win 231/5.5/200 gr LSWC (Hodgdon P-38/Win 231 same powder according to web site. ALWAYS check ANYTHING anyone tells you about powders/charges at powder maker web site/manual!!). Use NEW manuals to load/check older manuals/loads. I used an "older" Winchester free manual and they had one load that I used with super hard cast 230 gr RN that were super accurate and super fast (yes cromoed them at match). Load not listed now! It would make a great bear load though!

The thing about the .45 ACP is there are at least a dozen, or two dozen, maybe three dozen, powders that work just fine! Use what you can find, like, can afford, is handy and don't sweat the small stuff like some people do. Have fun loading and shooting!
Thank you. Yes, I always double check everything with the newest powder manuals available. I appreciat your help very much!
Ray
Old 08-14-2020, 01:47 PM

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter View Post
I have used Titegroup almost exclusively in .45 ACP for years. When I shot a lot of competition, I liked the economy and that it was fairly clean. I also use it a lot in many other rounds like .38 SPL, 9mm and moderate loads for the magnum revolver cartridges. I use W231 mainly for light loads in .44 SPL/Mag and .45 Colt.
Thank you for your input!
Ray
Old 08-14-2020, 01:50 PM

I also like unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Out View Post
I use Unique for .45 ACP, .38 Special, .357 Mag and 16/ 12 Ga. shotgun shells. I also shoot them over a chronograph to verify the loads as stated in my number 13 Speer Reloading Manual and adjust the load +/- if needed. IMOA Unique works as advertised and I don't have to stock different powders for each caliber I reload for. It comes in 8 lb. containers for easy storage.
Thank you. I also like unique. I plan to load the loads I listed with w231, unique and power pistol and see which one I like best. I have used unique since 1974 and I like it a lot!
Ray
Old 08-15-2020, 07:01 PM

I’ve used 231, HP-38, Titegroup, and Lonshot for +p loads.
My buddy uses RedDot
Old 08-15-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredrod View Post
i believe the standard military 45acp ball (230gr fmj) is 6.0gr unique giving 830fps.
^^This^^

+1911

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 08-15-2020, 11:28 PM

Here's a photo, unfortunately not showing a date, but an early lot of ammunition, indicating Pistol 5 powder.

https://image.invaluable.com/housePh...L102890878.jpg

I recall a photo on the old "The Gun Zone" site that showed an early box indicating Bullseye being used. Regrettably, the present "The Gun Zone" does not retain the old information.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:31 AM

My favorite loads for 45 ACP target work are 200 gr cast SWC bullets over 3.6 gr Clays.

Cast lead 200 gr bullets are MUCH less expensive than FMJ 230 bullets.

3.6 gr of Clays means the powder lasts forever!

A 8 lb keg of Clays yield over 15,000 loads.

I load these 1000 at a time. I try and keep a couple thousand on hand at a minimum. It's a very pleasant and accurate load. I can shoot 500 a day without having the arthritis in my hands act up.

I'll meet you at Old North Bridge....where ever it might be. Every Patriot should have 100 yards of good strong rope on hand!

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenGrunt View Post
My favorite loads for 45 ACP target work are 200 gr cast SWC bullets over 3.6 gr Clays.

Cast lead 200 gr bullets are MUCH less expensive than FMJ 230 bullets.

3.6 gr of Clays means the powder lasts forever!

A 8 lb keg of Clays yield over 15,000 loads.

I load these 1000 at a time. I try and keep a couple thousand on hand at a minimum. It's a very pleasant and accurate load. I can shoot 500 a day without having the arthritis in my hands act up.
That's almost exactly what I used to shoot when recovering from past shoulder surgeries. Except I shot 200gr RN coated lead. At 3.6gr it's a cream puff! I now load them at 4.0gr Clays for "regular range work." (still super economical and accurate!)
Old 08-17-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
That's almost exactly what I used to shoot when recovering from past shoulder surgeries. Except I shot 200gr RN coated lead. At 3.6gr it's a cream puff! I now load them at 4.0gr Clays for "regular range work." (still super economical and accurate!)
The 3.6 gr works in all my 45 pistols. It's easy to find the brass too. It's about a foot away.

I'll meet you at Old North Bridge....where ever it might be. Every Patriot should have 100 yards of good strong rope on hand!

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:41 PM

Titegroup is awesome in .45 ACP...; burns very cleanly! (200 rounds fired looks about like 1 mag fired with 231)

With 200 gr bullets, 4.0 gr of TG gets about 740 fps, and 4.7 gr gets me 840 fps...(Not a bulky powder, so, if you doubt your ability to not do a doublecharge, choose Unique, which fills the case by about 2/3rds...)
Old 08-19-2020, 05:53 PM

I use TiteGroup for target level loads( 4.4gr under 200 gr swc or rnfp) mostly coated bullets, but some plated. For self defense I run the “ John Taffin” load of 5.0gr of WW231 under a 200 gr plated bullet ( the softer the better) both loads are highly accurate, fairly easy to shoot, and easy on the guns. Everybody has their own pet loads, these are mine.