1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-12-2020, 11:01 PM
Administrator

The price of EVERYTHING is going up

We already know about the insane situation with guns & ammunition. The last few days however I've been watching several optical sights on Amazon, and every time I log in again the price has gone up. A cheap optic I was looking at a few days ago for $19.99 is now $35. No thanks! A few weeks ago I bought a BCG from a vendor who is now charging $40 more for it than the last time I bought one. I'm still seeing cheap AR mags, but probably only because there's nothing out there to feed them with.

It appears the increased cost of raw materials and shipping has now made its way down to the consumer, so if there are any accessories you've been thinking about getting now's the time to do so before you get sticker shock.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:12 AM

Amazon is really bad at that, I've placed things in my cart trying to decide and every day I looked the prices were different, sometimes by a lot.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:39 AM

a recent trip to the grocery store and walmart confirms these fears. $15 for a pack of underwear?!? and they wonder why we wear them with holes in them LOL

holsters are non-existent for carry guns. It's INSANE how many first time gun owner, youtoob commando trained tactical timmy's are out there right now with a fully loaded semi-auto on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblur View Post
a recent trip to the grocery store and walmart confirms these fears. $15 for a pack of underwear?!? and they wonder why we wear them with holes in them LOL

holsters are non-existent for carry guns. It's INSANE how many first time gun owner, youtoob commando trained tactical timmy's are out there right now with a fully loaded semi-auto on them.
Be creative. I found a guy on Etsy making what looked like really nice leather holsters, and picked up an OWB holster for my 1911 Commander for $60 that is simply fantastic. I'm thinking of going back to the same guy for a nice matching gun belt and some mag pouches to go with it.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:09 AM

I've been trying to buy everything I've wanted that is gun related since the 2016 election. I'm very thankful that Donald Trump won the presidency. I'm not trying to hijack your thread dsk, but I do wonder if Kamala Harris could be or will be causing some of the price increases because we don't know how much longer Ole Joe will last.

I would like to see President Trump win again and see prices and inventory get back close to being normal. Only time will tell.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblur View Post
It's INSANE how many first time gun owner, youtoob commando trained tactical timmy's are out there right now with a fully loaded semi-auto on them.
Great example of how salty gun owners get along and are welcoming to "first time" gun owners.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:41 AM

That is not unique to gun stuff on Amazon, there were many examples of price gouging this year, including but not limited to toilet-paper and bread.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 08-13-2020, 06:14 AM

I stopped using Amazon and cancelled my prime account. Too much funny business and they cant be trusted with your cc information. Additionally, if there is a problem, there’s no one to talk or communicate with AT ALL...so beware...just sayin’.

On topic, I overpaid on 2 pieces of pic rail last month; and waited 18 days for them to boot.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:37 AM
Banned

Amazon does not sell you anything. The small businesses list their things to sell on Amazon platform. You can find the same product going to Walmart.com. Walmart has the same business model. The Prime service on Amazon is incredible and allows you to return things if it isn't what is described back to the vendor without any fuss. Now try doing that on Ebay and PayPal. Walmart is also just as good, and in most cases you find cheaper things on Walmart. Mainly cheaper because they charge less fees to the business selling on their platform as compared to Amazon.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:57 AM

Re: The price of EVERYTHING is going up

No surprise. Toilet paper was our first hint of things to come. The economy has headed for the dirt and blew past the low set by the 08 Great Recession. It ain't over yet.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGunz View Post
Amazon does not sell you anything. The small businesses list their things to sell on Amazon platform. You can find the same product going to Walmart.com. Walmart has the same business model. The Prime service on Amazon is incredible and allows you to return things if it isn't what is described back to the vendor without any fuss. Now try doing that on Ebay and PayPal. Walmart is also just as good, and in most cases you find cheaper things on Walmart. Mainly cheaper because they charge less fees to the business selling on their platform as compared to Amazon.
Amazon sells a lot of stuff. It's easy to tell. It says so right on the item page.

I'll meet you at Old North Bridge....where ever it might be. Every Patriot should have 100 yards of good strong rope on hand!

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenGrunt View Post
Amazon sells a lot of stuff. It's easy to tell. It says so right on the item page.
I hate that I'm so sucked into Amazon.com that it's the first place I shop. We're feeding the beast and the beast is Bezos' wallet. He's gonna be a trillionaire in a few years if this keeps up.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:40 AM

Understand a couple of things,
The value of the dollar on the world market is falling vrey quickly.
Tariffs have driven up costs.
The Chinese virus and rioting and looting have changed wise thinking Americans perspective on self protection.
There are ships full of goods locked up in ports that are unable to be unloaded in the name of one thing or another.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:55 AM

Well with the government printing trillions of dollars.

What do you expect?
Old 08-13-2020, 11:02 AM
Banned

I hope the ammo pricing is temporary. I just dont see it staying high. Aside from people who just like to shoot and go to the range, all of these ammos are not needed. You buy a $100 worth of bullets in hollow points etc. for self protection. Then people usually don't buy any protection ammo, and buy some ammos for the range. Hunting is another matter, but this isn't any impact.

If you are an avid shooter who just enjoy shooting and getting good, that is not the majority of the popuation. Right now, with all of the new gun owners buying up stock, and practice up, they will keep it in their safe for many months without touching it.

Last edited by NCGunz; 08-13-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:15 AM

I think the price rises are only partially motivated by fear of Democratic anti-gun programs, though the spikes in anticipation of and after Obama's electoral victories demonstrate clearly that that is a factor. Covid-19 complicates this because all kinds of workers in all kinds of industries in all kinds of countries were affected, and lots of things from computers, cameras, bicycles, etc. became scarce, prices rose, new models were delayed, etc. Just for one specific example Nikon had a new high-end lens that was originally slated to ship back in April. It got delayed due to Covid interupting their manufacturing capability, and the lens still hasn't shipped yet.

As far as panic-buying goes, it may be a bummer for long-time shooters to see new gun owners out buying everything up, but there's a silver lining to this in that the more people in this country who own guns and value their right to do it, the greater the political will there will be to respect that right.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexipusRex View Post
I think the price rises are only partially motivated by fear of Democratic anti-gun programs, though the spikes in anticipation of and after Obama's electoral victories demonstrate clearly that that is a factor. Covid-19 complicates this because all kinds of workers in all kinds of industries in all kinds of countries were affected, and lots of things from computers, cameras, bicycles, etc. became scarce, prices rose, new models were delayed, etc. Just for one specific example Nikon had a new high-end lens that was originally slated to ship back in April. It got delayed due to Covid interupting their manufacturing capability, and the lens still hasn't shipped yet.

As far as panic-buying goes, it may be a bummer for long-time shooters to see new gun owners out buying everything up, but there's a silver lining to this in that the more people in this country who own guns and value their right to do it, the greater the political will there will be to respect that right.
I hope you're right about the first-time gun owners seeing the light, but I suspect that gun control won't be the big issue to them that it is to us, and they'll keep on voting Democrat.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:43 PM

While prices seem to be increasing what's really happening is the value of our money is going DOWN. More and more countries today refuse payment of debts in U.S. dollars. They want something with value.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaniecowpony View Post
I hate that I'm so sucked into Amazon.com that it's the first place I shop. We're feeding the beast and the beast is Bezos' wallet. He's gonna be a trillionaire in a few years if this keeps up.

mea culpa etiam.

It's hard to find things that one needs/wants anywhere else right now.
Specially in smaller towns.

But it's not all fun and profit for Bezos.
That liberal free return policy has to cut into the bottom line.

I have tried on a dozen holsters - and kept one.
Six red-dots and kept two.

Lot's of household things went that was as well.

Watch for "fulfilled by Amazon".
Old 08-13-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
While prices seem to be increasing what's really happening is the value of our money is going DOWN. More and more countries today refuse payment of debts in U.S. dollars. They want something with value.

Yes.

Basic Economics 101.

However, the US dollar is still the strongest currency - for now.
Which is saying quite a bit about the world economy!

Last edited by cavelamb; 08-13-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
Yes.

Basic Economics 101.

However, the US dollar is still the strongest currency - for now.
Which is saying quite a bit about the world economy!
This should help explain why the US is and always, yes always, will be the strongest global economy.

1. Credibility to pay back debt - (GDP and GDP-Per Capita) is high (highest to be more accurate). Hence why Greece and Italy is having major credibility issues forcing them to restructure their debt.
2. Federal Reserve system (yes Fed Reserve now earn interest) unlike before, and also there will not be another "depression" which was due to mismanagement of federal reserve. Bank-runs due to inability to provide currency when needed. Which is why, what the Trump administration is doing with aid, and stimulus isn't causing a deep recession (not yet).
3. Circulation of money and consumption - again based on GDP-Per-Capita
4. Education and high-skilled labor vs. unskilled labor of other developing countries
5. Current Account which measures all net payments into a country for uS is the highest deficit. The deficit, in this case, is "good" because this means we (US) are owed a lot of net payments. While Surplus is bad since this is net payments out of the country.

So US Currency will continue to be the strongest currency for a long time to come. Mainly driven by our capital model.

A qucik explaination fo the chart. It shows US has the biggest "Debt" world side, but we also have the highest GDP in ratio to the debt. Where as Greece and Italy has lowest GDP per debt, hence the wrecked economy. As long as our GDP remains high, we will be fine. Which is again, why it is important to "produce". Finally, the Current Acount (CA) shows US is "owed" a lot of money! Meaning we have the biggest deficit of CA. In simplest term, we have a lot of outstanding unpaid invoices to collect!
Attached Thumbnails
Debt1.png   Debt 2.png   Debt 3.png  

Last edited by NCGunz; 08-13-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
The more you know:

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Current inflation rate is around %1.6. It's not like the value of a dollar was suddenly cut in half. Historically the inflation rate is around %2.

What you're seeing is supply and demand. Just because there's product on the shelves doesn't mean there is product in the warehouse.

Portland is on day 76? of rioting. Truckers are refusing to drive through large hub cities with ongoing riots because they don't want to get dragged out of their rig and beaten. A lot of stubborn governors are doing their damndest to justify extended lockdowns. I suspect with intent to cripple us economically. And I think it's working, even with the dollar's value (miraculously) holding fairly steady and the stock market (even more miraculously) already pulling itself out of the slump it was in.

TL;DR - supply side is choked.

Let's not forget a lot of people were making more laid off than they did working. So there's probably a little extra demand as well. I imagine most aren't doing as I did and squirreling it away in their IRA, but burning it on necessities instead. It's going to take time for the pressure to relieve itself, and that really hinges on Governors getting their heads out of their ass and realizing they're doing more harm than good with heavy handed lock downs. I don't see it getting any better until the lock downs are eased, the riots stop, and we can return to business as usual.

Last edited by Levian; 08-13-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGunz View Post
I hope the ammo pricing is temporary. I just dont see it staying high. Aside from people who just like to shoot and go to the range, all of these ammos are not needed. You buy a $100 worth of bullets in hollow points etc. for self protection. Then people usually don't buy any protection ammo, and buy some ammos for the range. Hunting is another matter, but this isn't any impact.

If you are an avid shooter who just enjoy shooting and getting good, that is not the majority of the popuation. Right now, with all of the new gun owners buying up stock, and practice up, they will keep it in their safe for many months without touching it.
I know a few women who are new gun owners. They purchased many FMJ rounds for the range, but now are having trouble finding some good JHP for defense.

I told them if that's the case, use what you have.

They all fall to hardball...
Old 08-17-2020, 04:32 AM

I am still waiting for the price of WD-40 to fall. The last time the price of gas skyrocketed so did the price of WD-40. Gas has dropped but WD-40 never came back down. It's criminal. There ought to be a law.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
I stopped using Amazon and cancelled my prime account.
I salute you in your decision. I wish every conservative would cancel Amazon, Facebook and Google. That's the only thing that would get their attention.

Having said that, I haven't called any of them. So.....