bright nickel Hi-Power - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-12-2020, 10:08 PM

bright nickel Hi-Power

Have a 1982 bright nickel BHP w/regular fixed sights, but it came with a nickel trigger and red back grips. Thought these came with a gold trigger and "B" medallion grips. Appreciate any input!
Old 08-12-2020, 10:41 PM

The polished (shiny) nickel finish Hi Powers produced between 1980-1986 (approx. 6,000 produced)--

--ALL came with the gold plated trigger.
--ALL other function 'controls' on the pistol (sights, spur hammer, small safety lever, magazine release, slide-lock release) were polished (shiny) nickel finished.
--ALL came with one(1) matte (dull) nickel finished 13 rd. magazine body with polished (shiny) nickel baseplate.
--SOME (not all) came with either the old '..hump 'n bump..' fixed sights or...
--SOME came with adjustable '..beer can..' sights.
--SOME (not all) came with the standard checkered walnut, 'red-backed' grips with the 1/2" Browning 'B' medallions inset into the grip panels or...
--SOME came without the 'B' medallions inset into the checkered grip panels.

A 1982 Hi Power serial number began '..245 PY xxxxx..'

Last edited by KDKSAIL; 08-12-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:50 PM

Thanks KDKSAIL for info. Nickel trigger matches rest of gun; a real head scratcher! Everything else seems correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2020, 09:53 PM

Took another look at mine and noticed rear sights were black or parked -- guess mine has mods!
Old 08-13-2020, 11:03 PM

On my 1980 polished nickel HP with '..hump 'n bump..' fixed sights I would '..black..' the back side of the rear site and the back edge of the '..half-moon..' front sight with a Magic Marker (easily wipes off with alcohol) to cut down on glare when shooting outdoors on a sunny day.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:19 PM

Clever solution for bright nickel sights!
Old 08-20-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerhead View Post
Have a 1982 bright nickel BHP w/regular fixed sights, but it came with a nickel trigger and red back grips. Thought these came with a gold trigger and "B" medallion grips. Appreciate any input!
I got my 1981 blue BHP in 1982.

I have two scenarios. #1 Somebody had a blue BHP that they wanted nickle and the refinisher nickle the trigger too.

# 2 Another possibility was previous owner thought the gold trigger was gaudy and had it swapped out. Once on CAL GUNS somebody who knew I was a BHP fan offered me his gold plated trigger after he had his removed for that reason.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:02 PM

There are more than a few owners of H-P's with gold plated triggers who thought them gawdy/too 'glitzy' and swapped them out for more durable, matching nickel or hard chrome plated replacements.

But in fact, gold plating is not an especially durable finish material for a firearm....it shows signs of usage and '..wear..' rather quickly. Given that every time an shooter squeezes the trigger...there's usage and un-attractive 'wear' of the gold plated finish. Few owners of my acquaintance wear archival-grade cotton gloves when they go to the range.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:12 AM

Have considered the same possibilities that Che mentioned -- a blue gun that was nickel plated or a nickel gun that had trigger replaced. Either way I don't have much in it and I like it the way it is. Don't think I will go looking for a gold trigger or nickel rear sights.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKSAIL View Post
There are more than a few owners of H-P's with gold plated triggers who thought them gawdy/too 'glitzy' and swapped them out for more durable, matching nickel or hard chrome plated replacements.

But in fact, gold plating is not an especially durable finish material for a firearm....it shows signs of usage and '..wear..' rather quickly. Given that every time an shooter squeezes the trigger...there's usage and un-attractive 'wear' of the gold plated finish. Few owners of my acquaintance wear archival-grade cotton gloves when they go to the range.
I removed the Gold trigger on my chrome BHP. It is horrible looking and as you said if you shoot it the gold plating will flake. I kept it and after I die someone can sell it as stock/complete. LOL