1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-12-2020, 06:46 PM

SIG P365 - a crabby 1911 owners view ..

Ok,

I like cars with Chrome bumpers and using the card catalog so ...

I had a chance to fire a few rounds from one these new wonder pistols (P365) and must admit I don't like the Glock trigger at all but this was a step closer to a 1911

it was a nice shooting pistol .... I didnt hate it and I was ready to dismiss it going in ...
but, it was really small in the hand for me ... I shot it better than the G26 I use for very wet conditions and have carried some when I knew I was gonna get drenched

then a few rounds from a G'ovt Colt 45acp ... happiness ... and I could hit something!!!

why I bother w anything else ... only worry of rust I guess ..

anyway, Life is short ... I'm gonna just risk it from now on with one of the Colt's ..
Old 08-12-2020, 07:28 PM

The SIG P365 is pretty darned good and I like it for what it is. It's no Nighthawk though.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:41 PM

There are many good reasons why so many people stay with, or come back to, the 1911.

Few, if any, of today's guns have any potential to still be manufactured 100 years from now.

If I had to place gets on such matters, I'd bet on the 1911... for another 100 years.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2020, 08:58 PM

Ah, vanity, the spice of life! With more 1911 type pistols then I probably should have, I also have a variety of other pistols and revolvers.

I read a lot on the "internet" about the Sig P365; I thought yet another Kahr sized metric shooting pistol. The last Kahr I owned was a CW-9 that I paid $315 out the door (with 3 magazines, box, manual, and one of the dirtiest guns I've ever bought. I didn't even shoot it; I cleaned it up, was going to go the range the next day to shoot it but someone on one of the forums I belonged to was looking for one. Posting I had one, the next day someone else offered to trade guns with me - straight up, gun for gun. A good deal for me, a Sig P228 with 3 mags and box, etc.

OK back on topic. I have a Colt New Agent .45 on my hip right now; sitting at home. In a bit I'm going to take my dog for her nightly walk and I will drop the P365 and a magazine in the left front pocket of my shorts...in addition to the New Agent.

The P365 is leaps and bounds better then any Kahr or similar sized gun I've owned or fired; it isn't a primary carry gun for me but as a New York Reload it is perfect.

Mum - I'm not going to be around in another 100 years; I don't have a crystal ball either - but I hope that guns will still be legal to own - a year from now!
Old 08-12-2020, 09:47 PM

I have not shot a P365, but I have shot and owned a number of polymer compact and sub compact pistols. What I found was that if I took my time and did everything right I could shoot pretty well slow fire. However, if I tried to hurry, my accuracy went downhill fast. With my CCO size steel pistol, shooting fast, I did better than slow fire with the small polymer guns. After going back to carrying a steel CCO, I realized that it's not really any harder to carry or conceal. If the little polymer guns work for you, fine. I just don't shoot them well enough to justify carrying one.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret View Post
Ah, vanity, the spice of life! With more 1911 type pistols then I probably should have, I also have a variety of other pistols and revolvers.

I read a lot on the "internet" about the Sig P365; I thought yet another Kahr sized metric shooting pistol. The last Kahr I owned was a CW-9 that I paid $315 out the door (with 3 magazines, box, manual, and one of the dirtiest guns I've ever bought. I didn't even shoot it; I cleaned it up, was going to go the range the next day to shoot it but someone on one of the forums I belonged to was looking for one. Posting I had one, the next day someone else offered to trade guns with me - straight up, gun for gun. A good deal for me, a Sig P228 with 3 mags and box, etc.

OK back on topic. I have a Colt New Agent .45 on my hip right now; sitting at home. In a bit I'm going to take my dog for her nightly walk and I will drop the P365 and a magazine in the left front pocket of my shorts...in addition to the New Agent.

The P365 is leaps and bounds better then any Kahr or similar sized gun I've owned or fired; it isn't a primary carry gun for me but as a New York Reload it is perfect.

Mum - I'm not going to be around in another 100 years; I don't have a crystal ball either - but I hope that guns will still be legal to own - a year from now!

There's more than enough in common here for enjoying these discussions and a good bottle of wine.

+1911.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 08-12-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLikeYork View Post
Ok,

I like cars with Chrome bumpers and using the card catalog so ...

I had a chance to fire a few rounds from one these new wonder pistols (P365) and must admit I don't like the Glock trigger at all but this was a step closer to a 1911

it was a nice shooting pistol .... I didnt hate it and I was ready to dismiss it going in ...
but, it was really small in the hand for me ... I shot it better than the G26 I use for very wet conditions and have carried some when I knew I was gonna get drenched

then a few rounds from a G'ovt Colt 45acp ... happiness ... and I could hit something!!!

why I bother w anything else ... only worry of rust I guess ..

anyway, Life is short ... I'm gonna just risk it from now on with one of the Colt's ..
I had one and liked everything about it except like the Glock, the trigger made my finger sore. I even installed the straight trigger, same problem, shot the XL version, same problem. Finally gave up and went back to the Shield. I now have three of those. They fit me like a glove and no trigger issues.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:49 PM
Administrator

The P365 is not designed to be a range gun. It's the smallest 10-shot 9mm pistol you can buy and is the top-selling handgun in the USA for a reason. That's so you can have it on you even when it's too hot to strap on your cherished 1911. Ever since getting mine even my tiny little Ruger LCP has spent more time in the safe than on my person. There was a time 20 years ago when I would venture out in light khaki shorts on a hot day with nothing but a puny little Kel-Tec P32 .32 ACP in my pocket, hoping like hell I didn't get into a gunfight that day. Well I still hope I never get into a gunfight, but if I do at least now I'll have eleven rounds of 9mm JHP to fight it with.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:54 PM

my p365 is my EDC . My Colt 1911 is my love
Old 08-12-2020, 11:13 PM

I require a hammer on all my pistols. So I have no reason to try any of the plastic, striker-fired pistols.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:43 AM

as stated in other threads, I retired a 5" 1911 for a 3" 1911 which was retired for a Kimber Solo with a finger extension on a 6rd mag. 1911 grip angle and ergonomics, fits in any pocket. Don't believe the BS - this is a sweet shooting never jamming gun as long as you put 124 or 147gr ammo in it. And accurate? neither of my 1911's (both Colts) were as good at mag dump or SHTF follow up shot accuracy.

I've shot the P365 and Hellcat. Both are good, but neither touch the Solo. I would like to shoot the new Kimber Evo but I don't like the fact it doesn't have a thumb safety and I hate Glock type triggers.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:01 AM

Very early on I bought a P365 based on Tom Gresham's raving about it on his guntalk radio show. I worked with it for a couple of months and sold my Shield (a bit too large) and sold my PM9 which did everything but the P365 did it better. I bought a second P365 and added a CT laser for bedside use.
My first one has over 7000 rounds and all I have done was change the RSA at 5000 rounds only because it made sense. I keep another spare RSA and Striker assembly just because everyone told me the first one will break.
I did change over to the straight trigger in my primary carry just because it fit my finger much better and centered my shots.
Overall this little Sig is on me when I am wearing pants and my 1911's is only used while at work.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:31 AM

also, both the owner and I had a difficult time fully charging the flush mag ..

I guess with the P365 being so small and light I could carry 2-3 in the place of my normal G'ovt ..

I have to admit, Im lucky body wise as I conceal a G'ovt in almost any outfit I would wear accept shirtless, swimsuit,sweat pants ...

I think JMB must have designed my love handles himself esp. for one ....

thanks for the comments
Old 08-13-2020, 12:42 PM

The P365 is no 1911. In my book, there is nothing easer to shoot well and more enjoyable than the 1911. However, there are often times when I want something smaller and lighter to carry around and hence the P365 fits the bill. It is a subcompact and as such there are trade-offs that come with this size gun. I have found mine to be accurate, have great sights, a good trigger (I did add a flat trigger), surprisingly good ergonomics, offers a lot of carry options. It is not my EDC, but is part of my EDC rotation.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:59 PM

I liked the sights .. some kind of green and white front ..

i could see it being a nice pocket pistol but I have not been able to achieve a good system of drawing from the pocket I feel safe with ...

have been sticking with IWB ..

question , do those of you who carry a P365 do so IWB or pocket carry ...

Alabama brand plastic molded pocket rig is my only pocket holster experience
Old 08-13-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Actually neither. I wear OWB in a Wright Leather Predator Pancake holster. Just a quirk of mine but I can't bring myself to wear a pistol with no safety IWB.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:48 PM

I have a Vedder apex holster and pocket holster. While popular these days apex carry just was not right for me, but the pocket holster is definitely doable. In jeans the pocket holster is a bit tight, but is fine with cargo pockets although it felt a bit heavy for pocket carry. Currently I am using an OWB DeSantis mini scabbard, but plan to upgrade to a pancake type holster that will pull it in closer to the body.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:00 PM
1911 Aficionado

I'm still wondering if a little gun can be a real gun?
I put 1000 trouble-free rounds through my P938, decided it was the best gun in the world, then had two instances of hammer follow and two failures to extract, on the same day.
Trigger job and 500 rounds later, hammer follows again.
Two failures to feed in there, somewhere.
Two light strikes, two weeks ago.
But, 220 trouble-free rounds last Friday, so, it's a "what have you done for me, lately" world.

I'm comfortable limiting my range sessions to no more than 100 rounds, and then doing a field strip and clean/inspection, rather than some sort of torture test to "prove" . . . something.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:56 PM

There is nothing like a 1911. It is the sweetest shooting platform to me, and I love the look, the craftsmanship, the history, and the .45 ACP. That being said, the P365 gets carried most of the time now. A 1911 in .45 makes me very comfortable on my nightstand. But 11 or 13 rounds of 9mm (both mags are pocketable) in a very accurate platform is a pretty good carry option IMHO. I opted for the P365 with the manual safety, so as to be as similar to the 1911 as possible. Yes, it is a plastic striker fired pistol. But, they got the capacity, the size, the ergonomics, the trigger and, especially the sights, right.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I'm still wondering if a little gun can be a real gun?
I put 1000 trouble-free rounds through my P938, decided it was the best gun in the world, then had two instances of hammer follow and two failures to extract, on the same day.
Trigger job and 500 rounds later, hammer follows again.
Two failures to feed in there, somewhere.
Two light strikes, two weeks ago.
But, 220 trouble-free rounds last Friday, so, it's a "what have you done for me, lately" world.

I'm comfortable limiting my range sessions to no more than 100 rounds, and then doing a field strip and clean/inspection, rather than some sort of torture test to "prove" . . . something.
I have been in the same boat as you. A long time ago I relied on a Kahr P9 as my EDC, and it was reliable until one day I pulled it out of my carry holster and tried to fire off the carry ammo that was in it... and it had a double-feed on the second shot. Had I been drawing that firearm for real I'd have been thoroughly effed. I refused to trust it after that and sold it.

More recently I've been dealing with another Kahr, a P380. Unreliable out of the box, spent a lot of time and money to get it running good, ran good for awhile, then suddenly decided to start acting up again. It's got pretty thick coating of dust on it now.

As for my current EDC (P365) I have two. One to shoot the snot out of, and another that I actually use as my EDC that I only fire a couple times a year just to be sure IT isn't suddenly having PMS (periodic malfunction syndrome).
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I liked the sights .. some kind of green and white front ..

i could see it being a nice pocket pistol but I have not been able to achieve a good system of drawing from the pocket I feel safe with ...

have been sticking with IWB ..

Alabama brand plastic molded pocket rig is my only pocket holster experience
I have a Remora pocket holster for some other small gun (likely a Glock 43) and one of their magazine carriers. What I do is stuff the P365 into that holster with a flat mag inserted. The finger rest mag goes into the spare mag holder in the other pocket. I have a piece of white t-shirt 4" wide by 8 to 10" long or so that I use to break up the "triangle" shape of the gun. I wad it up and maneuver it around in the pocket on the sides of the holster (never the front) until the entire thing looks like a shapeless blob.

A .06" kydex holster would carry better than a Remora because the soft material of the Remora is quite thick. I'm looking at building one for myself.

Last edited by tomrkba; 08-13-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:32 PM

do you feel safe drawing it from your pocket cleanly is my problem ... mostly the getting it past the pocket and lastly the finger on the bang switch while presenting from my pocket ...

thank you for the help ...
Old 08-13-2020, 11:10 PM
Administrator

I have no trouble pulling mine out of the pocket, and the booger hook is always pointed forward during the draw. Sometimes the holster comes out with the firearm, but that is a common issue with pocket holsters.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:44 PM

1911's will always be be favorite auto but most days my ruger lcr 357 is along for the ride. However with these crazy times we are in I just picked up a walther ppq in 45. 12+1 of 45acp is very comforting. Just waiting on my holster.

Yes I know Mr. I hate tupperware bought a striker fired gun.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
I had one and liked everything about it except like the Glock, the trigger made my finger sore. I even installed the straight trigger, same problem, shot the XL version, same problem. Finally gave up and went back to the Shield. I now have three of those. They fit me like a glove and no trigger issues.
Rather than add an Apex trigger to my 1.0 Shield sold it during the April panic and shot several P365's. Like you not impressed with the trigger, grip just too small and accuracy disappointing so bought the new 2.0 Shield 9 mm while wished I had bought the .45, oh well.