Feed issue - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-11-2020, 12:10 PM

Feed issue

I needed a cheap pistol that I could leave in my car when at work. Not a fan of doing so as I don't care to arm a thief, but verses not carrying at all when driving, it seems like best choice.
I was able to get a Citadel 9mm 5" for $200 NIB because it was missing the mags. Stupid chain store! Pistol runs fine with 124gr FMJ, but won't feed any hollow point. I use Win PDX in all my carry guns. Mags are Wilson & Springfield. Both work perfect with any ammo in my Springfield Range Officer 9mm. So the issue is with pistol, not mags.
So where do I begin? The Citadel does not have a ramped barrel like my Springfield & I think this is most of the issue in 9mm 1911's.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:12 PM

You might try Federal HST. I've never had an issue with it, though I just bought a 9mm and have yet to try it. If you can't get HST, Hydra-Shok has the same profile. Shaped a LOT like a ball round.

I bring this up because it is cheap and easy to try.

Tom
1918 Colt
Old 08-11-2020, 03:36 PM

pics of the jam or an accurate description would help.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2020, 08:10 PM

Extraction is good. New round gets hung on the top of chamber at 12 o'clock.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:16 PM

If you mean the nose of the bullet is pushing on the roof of the chamber, check for barrel bump and barrel fit first.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:55 AM

3 point jam>?
Old 08-13-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_29 View Post
3 point jam>?
What is a 3 pt jam?
The shorter HP bullet just won't start into the chamber. 124 ball works fine.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:18 AM

Cheap pistol not feeding JHP bullets....

There are quite a few possibilities why any 1911 style gun may not feed JHP bullet profiles...... this is difficult to diagnose without inspecting the gun. However, the Hornady 9mm 115 grain Critical Defense FTX bullet ammunition may work better than most JHP bullets. I would try this option first to see if you can get reliable feeding in your gun.

Even if a gunsmith finds the issue, the cost may be more than you want to pay for a "cheap" pistol you plan to keep in your vehicle. Even though a JHP bullet profile is better for self defense, a good RN 124 gr. bullet at 1,100 fps or more out the muzzle is not bad. To stop an attacker for self defense, a shot that disrupts the central nervous system, like a head or spine shot, will more often than not, win the gun fight..... Learning to shoot multiple gun shots with speed and accuracy is best, regardless of the bullet profile.....

I have a "cheap pistol" I keep in my vehicle, and I purchased a used Glock 19. I smoothed out the trigger, and the gun shoots fine..... Most of my concealed carry pistols are STI 2011 guns, which I build myself, but just the parts alone will cost roughly $1,300.....and would sell for over $2,000 to purchase a new one at the current retail price!!! I don't keep my STI 2011 pistols in my car, unless I am carrying it concealed on my hip!

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 08-14-2020 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:06 AM

Good point. I've been keeping 124gr Win "NATO" in it. ANY shot to the torso is going to stop someone from advancing.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:13 AM

shot to the torso for self defense....

Quote:
ANY shot to the torso is going to stop someone from advancing.
This is true, however, in a life or death situation, you don't want your attacker to be able to return fire or get off an additional round......the human body can take quite a few non lethal hits to the torso, but ultimately a severe drop in blood pressure will make the attacker pass out.....

I read an article on the 1986 FBI Miami shootout:

The 1986 FBI Miami shootout was a gunfight that occurred on April 11, 1986, in a then-unincorporated region of Dade County, Florida (incorporated as Pinecrest in 1996) between eight FBI agents and two serial bank robbers and murderers. Two FBI agents were killed and five others wounded.

One of the serial killer bank robbers was wounded several times with hits to the torso, but was still able to return fire with his Ruger mini-14 rifle.... after the autopsy, they found a 9mm round that traveled sideways through the torso, but stopped a few inches short of the heart..... the FBI then conducted a search for a pistol round with more stopping power, and settled on the 10mm.....which they soon found out was too difficult for many agents to shoot effectively due to excessive muzzle blast and recoil impulse....

I believe the FBI still uses the 9mm, and issues Hornady Critical Duty ammo. They use Glocks and some use Sig Sauer pistols in .40 cal.