Let us see your Hillbilly rig. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-10-2020, 05:41 PM

Let us see your Hillbilly rig.

By Hillbilly rig I mean a gun set up in what might normally be construed as an improvised low budget fashion to make something work that other wise might not.

I will go first. I picked up an older Marlin 1895 in 45-70 a while back. It was one of those deals where it was just too cheap to pass on. Anyway it came with a cheap scope setup on it. I guess that it belonged to someone named one eyed Willie. A scope on a light rifle in 45-70 is just not a good fit in my eye.

Fast forward and I managed to find a correct rear sight for it. But after a couple of years, still no dice for the front sight, being an older gun. So anyway I cobble up a front sight using some spare parts, a fiber optic rod, and some shrink tubing. As few score of rounds later it remains in place and works rather well.

Let us se your Hillbilly rig.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0241.JPG   IMG_0242.JPG  
Old 08-11-2020, 05:37 AM

Did you try Gunpartcorp for a replacement front sight? Or Midwestgunworks?

Last edited by Jonzim248; 08-11-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:55 AM

No I tried Numrich and Marlin direct but no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzim248 View Post
I might check them out now though. But to be honest, while it does not look all that great. The sight that I have works really well once I got the height dialed in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2020, 01:46 PM

I just checked both of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzim248 View Post
It appears that Gunpartcorp is part of Numrich who I already tried. And Midwest gun works only has Marlin parts going back to 2009. My gun was made in 1992. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:02 PM

I would look at XS... I really like mine. You can mount anything on this and have a rear peep always mounted. You can get a matching front sight with it. Get rid of the buckhorn.

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8563
Old 08-11-2020, 03:25 PM

Rattle can spray paint

The camo on this rifle is pretty hillbilly, skateboard tape too. I cut about three inches off the stock, added the Rubber recoil pad, mostly because I hate a plastic butt for when you lean the gun against a fence, tree, or car, keeps it from slipping / falling. I took the check piece off a aftermarket SKS plastic stock, it works good with a Aim Point red dot. This Glenfield might look pretty Redneck, but it shoots pretty darn good. Not your typical .30-30, but it has killed a boatload of deer in the thick stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
375D87F0-C7B7-4AEC-8589-9AD033EC6A49.jpeg  

Last edited by HarryO45; 08-11-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:41 PM

I have a rail set up that came with the gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I would look at XS... I really like mine. You can mount anything on this and have a rear peep always mounted. You can get a matching front sight with it. Get rid of the buckhorn.

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8563
But the sight that you linked me to has the actual rifle sight shown as back ordered. I might consider it if they actually had it in stock.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:44 PM

I replaced the sights on my GBL with the XS peep/rail system, now it's identical to the SBL that way.

I'd find a good front sight for that rifle OP. What you have now is just begging to be bumped out of alignment.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post
I replaced the sights on my GBL with the XS peep/rail system, now it's identical to the SBL that way.

I'd find a good front sight for that rifle OP. What you have now is just begging to be bumped out of alignment.
It is a great modification. I put the XS Rails on my .308 and .450B GSRs... I fell in love. You can mount anything to it.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:13 PM

I think that what I am likely going to end up with is a RDS.

I had an Eotech on an AR some years ago that was OK. but I could never really warm to it. More recently I tried a Kahles Helia Red dot sight on a Barrett REC-7 that I bought a few months ago. And I really like it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0167.JPG  
Old 08-13-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I had an Eotech on an AR some years ago that was OK. but I could never really warm to it. More recently I tried a Kahles Helia Red dot sight on a Barrett REC-7 that I bought a few months ago. And I really like it.
Not to hi-jack a thread but how do you like the rec-7?
Old 08-13-2020, 09:19 PM

The REC-7 is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Not to hi-jack a thread but how do you like the rec-7?
I bought a Noveske a few years ago and was very impressed with it. I think that the REC-7 is at least as good as my Noveske. Nuff said.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:18 PM

Using Hillbilly with respect as my momma was born in a cabin in the hills of Morgan County, KY, I only have one gun that comes close at this point. It's a Charter Arms Target Bulldog in .357 Mag. I don't have a pic at hand of the sight, just the gun.

Rather than paint the front sight for better visibility someone took the tip of a Dremel or something like that and dished into the aluminum shroud at the back the sight. They left the top, blued piece with the dishing just below. You think it's jacked up when you first look at the gun, but that silver divot catches the light and makes the front sight more visible. Plus, it doesn't wear off.

Darned accurate little gun too. Just remember to tighten all the screws after a range session. Especially if you were running a handful or two of magnums through it.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 08-17-2020, 03:00 PM

Never intended as any term of denigration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Using Hillbilly with respect as my momma was born in a cabin in the hills of Morgan County, KY, I only have one gun that comes close at this point. It's a Charter Arms Target Bulldog in .357 Mag. I don't have a pic at hand of the sight, just the gun.

Rather than paint the front sight for better visibility someone took the tip of a Dremel or something like that and dished into the aluminum shroud at the back the sight. They left the top, blued piece with the dishing just below. You think it's jacked up when you first look at the gun, but that silver divot catches the light and makes the front sight more visible. Plus, it doesn't wear off.

Darned accurate little gun too. Just remember to tighten all the screws after a range session. Especially if you were running a handful or two of magnums through it.
But more of a colloquialism.

Dolly Parton would likely describe herself as such a person. And the last time that I checked she was worth about twice what Mick Jagger was worth.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:54 PM

Remedied my Mosin M-44 front sight being too low by fabricating a roll pin using a thin sheet of brass and slipping over the original front post. It required no permanent modifications and has stayed in place after more than 100 rounds. It allowed me to adjust the point of impact to match the point of aim using the iron sights. It is also still thin enough to easily align with the rear sight on target acquisition if necessary.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
But more of a colloquialism.

Dolly Parton would likely describe herself as such a person. And the last time that I checked she was worth about twice what Mick Jagger was worth.
I didn't take it as bad. I just like having a little claim to some hillbilly lineage.

A little Josh Pray on partying with hillbillies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN3QJ2tcRlc

This guy is great. "Hillbillies are the Marines of the hills!" LOL

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW

Last edited by Amos Iron Wolf; 08-17-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:43 PM

Ever since the Man From Uncle, I have loved P-38/P1 pistols. I had toys and then the real thing. Being much older now, my eyes sometimes need help. So after hitting a dead end with finding any modern sights. I did my own on a 80 P1.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:40 PM

Does using black -inch zip tie in lieu of the proper metal keepers on my m1936 pistol belt count? Due to a comedy of errors I had to take off the originals to fit something on the belt, and of course, broke them... and no one sells the ?#%$ing keepers on their own.

Redneck Engineering, also known by a myriad other names, is a time-honored tradition, do not be ashamed of it!
-----------------------^--------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry, USCCA
Old 08-17-2020, 09:28 PM

Now that there is what I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarmanNick View Post
Remedied my Mosin M-44 front sight being too low by fabricating a roll pin using a thin sheet of brass and slipping over the original front post. It required no permanent modifications and has stayed in place after more than 100 rounds. It allowed me to adjust the point of impact to match the point of aim using the iron sights. It is also still thin enough to easily align with the rear sight on target acquisition if necessary.
Whatever gets the job done. If you do not have to spend a bunch of money to do it, then all the better.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:30 PM

Sure gets a pass from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
Does using black -inch zip tie in lieu of the proper metal keepers on my m1936 pistol belt count? Due to a comedy of errors I had to take off the originals to fit something on the belt, and of course, broke them... and no one sells the ?#%$ing keepers on their own.

Redneck Engineering, also known by a myriad other names, is a time-honored tradition, do not be ashamed of it!
Whatever takes home the bacon.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Pix! Or it dinna happen!

That sounds too elegant to qualify for Redneck Engineering
Old 08-18-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
Pix! Or it dinna happen!

That sounds too elegant to qualify for Redneck Engineering
Well, I think I figured out how to accomplish the task.
Attached Thumbnails
2020-01-01 10.22.22.jpg  
Old 08-18-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Well, I think I figured out how to accomplish the task.
That's elegant. Best kind of engineering. Less is more, simple is better.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:02 PM

Don't have anything currently that would fit that description.

But I did carry a rifle with sling held on with a twisty tie (not a cheap kitchen one, more of a wire) for about 10 years.

The rivet popped out one day in the field and I managed not to drop the rifle, had a tie in the tag holder and used that as a measure to get through the day.

Worked so well I left it on for a decade.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmannick View Post
well, i think i figured out how to accomplish the task.
91/30 --- t-53 ?

And Epstein didn't kill himself