Taking a chance on a SDS by Tisas - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-09-2020, 06:10 PM

Taking a chance on a SDS by Tisas

I decided to take a chance on the SDS 1911B-45 Duty Pistol (full size) built by Tisas. I need another 1911 like another hole in the head and I have some upper end 1911s. But, for some reason, this gun just seemed like it would be a fun gun at a very reasonable price. I doubt I use it as a defensive gun because I have others, but who knows? I have an STI built by Rock Island from a few years back that has been an excellent pistol.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:07 AM

Let us know how you like it and how it shoots after you get it.
Denny
Old 08-10-2020, 01:31 PM

I've enjoyed mine. Shoots absolutely trouble free.

I thought it was a nice complement to a mix-master Colt 1911 I already had (manufactured in 1913). The Tisas was the closest new manufactured 1911A1 that I could find, almost a dead ringer for the original government issued pistol (the slightly lowered ejection port is the only significant difference I could find).

It's an interesting contrast to shoot both pistols to see how the A1 mods were intended to improve on the original design.

I know value is totally subjective, but FWIW, I think the Tisas M1911A1 is a great buy for anyone interested in shooting mil-surp. It's been a long time since I fired a 1911A1 in the Army, but I can't tell any difference at all between what I remember and the Tisas pistol (except that the Tisas slide doesn't rattle around on top of the frame...).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2020, 03:01 PM

I ordered the an “enhanced” model with beavertail grip safety. Novak style sights, etc. I’m looking forward to seeing the build quality. My “bottom feeder” is a Norinco and it is a solid gun.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:12 AM

I bought a Duty model a little while back. So far, it's been great. The fit and finish are excellent. The trigger is a little heavy, but not enough to make me want to change anything. I love the undercut on the trigger guard. It really seems to stabilize the pistol in my hand. Good luck with yours!
Old 08-13-2020, 03:37 PM

I have the SDS carry. 4.25 inch. in black, love the fit in my hand. the pistol feels solid. sadly I have mine at the gunsmith. getting a little tweeking done, other wise. I would buy another. . when the next stimulas check comes, lol.. enjoy
Old 08-18-2020, 09:39 PM

I picked mine up today (I know, didn't happen without pics). I'm impressed on my initial inspection out of the box. If I can get a chance to go the range, I'll do a proper review.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:07 PM

yea i looked at these & now truly wonder if i should've went with one instead of shelling out the money on my new colt,which has been a very disheartening experience
Old 08-18-2020, 10:50 PM

I've an SDS Carry in SS, and I think it's pretty accurate, as well as jam free, even with handloads of all shapes and random SALE! magazines.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:12 AM

I have the standard US army one and it's been flawless thru 400
rounds of every shape of cast bullets that I have. It's very accurate
as well. Fit and finish is fantastic for a pistol in this price range.
I believe you will like it a lot.
Denny
Old 08-19-2020, 11:56 AM

I do hope yours runs better then mine

I keep seeing all the great comments about the Tisas SDS 1911. the one I received has been nothing but troubles,
Old 08-19-2020, 01:11 PM

What are the problems with it? They do have a warranty.
You are the first one I've heard of that claims they have
problems with them.
Denny
Old 08-19-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james6477 View Post
I keep seeing all the great comments about the Tisas SDS 1911. the one I received has been nothing but troubles,
Maybe it was a mismarked Colt? Or Dan Wesson? ;-P
Old 08-19-2020, 05:25 PM

Multiple failer to lock back after empty. slide closing when releaseing magazine. replced slide lock lever with another. went from 80% problems, to mayby 20% using macgar magazines that came with it, . should I try wilson combats ?
Old 08-19-2020, 07:56 PM

james6477 -
Is your pistol .45 acp or 9mm?
Old 08-21-2020, 07:36 PM

I was all set to take some time off and get to the range this afternoon, but a problem came up at the office. So, I haven't made it to the range yet. A couple of photos are below. The gun came in a cardboard box (with foam padding above and below). The box included a manual, a cleaning brush, and a polymer slotted rod for cleaning. The rails had a normal amount of lubricant on the slides.

First impressions.

The Good.

Forged frame and slide per SDS's website. The Cerakote finish made for a utilitarian, but more-than-adequate finish for the gun. No large billboards on the sides of the frame.

The gun felt very well in my hands, which I attribute to the high undercut and the plastic grips. Some people will scoff at plastic or rubber grips, but WWII-era 1911A1s sported very serviceable plastic grips. And, I have rubbers on three of my 1911s (including a Baer). Practicality first, looks second. I have small hands and often will put thin grip panels on a 1911 or have a short trigger installed. That won't be necessary here.

The trigger broke very cleanly at six pounds. That is a tad heavier than my ideal, but I'm not complaining. Slide to frame fit was surprisingly good for a budget 1911. I could turn the barrel bushing without a bushing wrench, which is the way I prefer most of my 1911s.

The feed ramp was nicely polished and I could only see one minor tool mark on the inside of the frame when I field stripped the gun. The sights are Novak-style with painted white dots. They should be very serviceable.

The Bad.

First, a couple of personal preferences. Just like every other 1911 I own with a recessed slide-stop, getting it out (for now at least) requires a small tool, like a wooden dowel rod, to partially push it out from the opposite side of the frame. Looks nice, though. Second, I prefer a single-sided safety, but it's not a huge deal on this gun because I probably won't carry it for defensive purposes.

There are MIM parts. Thumb safeties and maybe slide stop appeared to be MIM. I'm sure there's probably some other MIM parts, as well. At this price point, you have to expect this.

The Test is Yet to Come.

Obviously, none of the above matters if the gun is not reliable or can't hit the side of a barn from the inside. So, the big test is yet to come.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:03 PM

45 acp. going to try a couple wilsons . and sending for some Ed Brown mags, hope thatll be the trick,
Old 08-30-2020, 09:19 AM

I'd really like to have one of these. It sure is a nice looking pistol, very similar in appearance to the Kimber TLE II and the Fusion Freedom.
I would imagine, as mentioned in another post and as my Tisas GI clone does, that is has MIM internals. Fine with me.