Id like a 22 auto for training - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-08-2020, 02:26 PM

Id like a 22 auto for training

I just had a really good, and truth be told humbling, training session with an NRA Certified instructor. Most of the drills that he gave me are for dry fire but it also occurred to me that I could get similar and far more enjoyable practice at the range with a 22 auto.

Most of the session was focused on improving my trigger pull so ideally Id want a pull similar to my 1911. Two obvious candidates would be the Browning 1911-22 and the Walther made Colt 1911-22. My wife really likes firing the Ruger Mark IV tactical so Id like to kill two birds with one stone, but it may not work well for my goals.

Suggestions?
Old 08-08-2020, 03:03 PM

Any trigger time on the range is good to have but if the wife enjoys / prefers the Ruger then I would put that at the top of the list. Your main firearm is a 1911 but your practice will be a 22 . The mechanics should be easier for you to adapt from firearm to firearm. If the wife likes shooting a 1911, get the clone.. If not, get the Ruger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSPVN9g-kIw
Old 08-08-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer131 View Post
Any trigger time on the range is good to have but if the wife enjoys / prefers the Ruger then I would put that at the top of the list. Your main firearm is a 1911 but your practice will be a 22 . The mechanics should be easier for you to adapt from firearm to firearm. If the wife likes shooting a 1911, get the clone.. If not, get the Ruger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSPVN9g-kIw
A lot of wisdom there. No, she doesnt like the 1911 at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2020, 03:12 PM

Browning 1911-22?

85% of full size makes a perfect small grip pistol.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette View Post
I just had a really good, and truth be told humbling, training session with an NRA Certified instructor. Most of the drills that he gave me are for dry fire but it also occurred to me that I could get similar and far more enjoyable practice at the range with a 22 auto.

Most of the session was focused on improving my trigger pull so ideally Id want a pull similar to my 1911.

so Id like to kill two birds with one stone, but it may not work well for my goals.

Suggestions?
So get a Ciener .22 conversion kit for your 1911!
Old 08-08-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
So get a Ciener .22 conversion kit for your 1911!
Thought about that. They don't seem to be easy to find. I'll do another search.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:33 PM

Buck mark has same grip angle full size .
Old 08-08-2020, 03:39 PM

Ruger Mk.III or IV 22/45.

The grip mimics the 1911. It's what I use MY Mk.III for - cheaper training than my 1911's in .45!
Old 08-08-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Thought about that. They don't seem to be easy to find. I'll do another search.

Quite a few on Ebay. There's a few other makes too. I believe Ceiner makes the Kimber units.

And of course , there's the original.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010028.JPG  

Last edited by mkk41; 08-08-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:16 PM

I have a Nelson/Marvel conversion, there are a few different of other conversions but this Nelson is a real tack driver with Eley ammo. You can use a standard slide/sights or a rail top to mount and optic.
With a conversion you get your same grips and trigger.
I also have a couple of 22 1911's by Sig and someone else but they are pretty much plinking toys and not accurate at all.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
A lot of wisdom there. No, she doesn’t like the 1911 at all.
Here's the $64 question. Does she not like the 1911 because of its size, weight, shape, etc.? Or does she just not like a .45 ACP 1911 because of its recoil?

If it's just the recoil, perhaps she'd enjoy shooting a .22lr 1911 just as much as she would the Ruger Mk. IV. I'd guess the only way you could answer that question is to scare up a .22lr 1911 and let her try it.

I once bought a S&W M&P 22 because I intended to buy a M&P 9mm, was away from my casting and reloading equipment, and wanted to be able to shoot a lot cheaply. I ended up not buying the M&P 9mm due to some changing circumstances (I'd still like to own one), but I fired the M&P 22 right next to a friend's M&P 9mm and it really did do a great job of matching the size, weight, feel, etc. of the real thing. For everything up to the bang the .22 would do great in practice. It won't help with followup and rapid fire and whatnot due to nonexistent recoil, but in many ways I think it would be a perfectly good way to go. I don't have any experience with the various 1911 .22lr conversions, but if you got a good one with the same trigger, weight, sights, etc. as the full-caliber version, I can't think why that wouldn't work.

Or you can get into casting and reloading. Yeah, it takes a lot of time, but it's a hobby, and some folks have more time than money. I can shoot my .45 ACP at a Bullseye match for far less money in ammo cost than I can shoot my .22lr, thanks to the cost of .22lr pistol match ammo.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:47 PM

So ya get the full-size 1911 conversion kit for you , and a female-size 3/4 scale .22 1911 for HER! Know what I mean?
Old 08-08-2020, 06:08 PM

When I bought a .22 semi auto a few years back one of the top requirements was a safety that operated in the same direction as a 1911.
I wanted to like the Ruger 22-45 but didn't. Went with a SW22 Vctory.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:19 PM

I have a Browning 1911-22 and enjoy shooting it but have you priced 22lr shells lately. Like all it is through the roof if you can even find them. The only issue I had initially with the Browning was being finicky with some ammo.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:23 PM
Administrator

I like the Nelson conversion. My luck has been hit or miss with the Kimber and the Tactical Solutions.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:38 PM
Administrator

There's also the Advantage Arms conversion units. Also, while not a 1911 another good choice for a trainer might be a Smith & Wesson M&P .22 Compact. The manual of arms is the same as with a 1911 and it feels similar in the hand as well.

Of course, if you're looking for a complete firearm your options may be limited based on what the LGS actually still has in stock. It's getting hard to find any firearm that isn't strictly a deer gun or plinking .22 rifle.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:52 AM

Start casting your own bullets and reloading.

My range 45 ACP ammo is running me about $6/100.

Other than that a conversion kit for your 45.

I'll meet you at Old North Bridge....where ever it might be. Every Patriot should have 100 yards of good strong rope on hand!

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:40 AM

Stop the bus!

Women know what they want, need and what appeals to them!

Take her to a few gun stores and let her choose what she wants!

I specialize in training women and have seen so many issues in this area it's just stupid!

Example: My wife has her .22 semi-auto, her 38 Revolver and her AR-9!

When we go to the range it's about her, her guns and her enjoyment! I get as much enjoyment watching her shoot as I do shooting. She giggles every time she hears a "ding" when hitting steel at 100 yards at 100 yards with "her" AR-9!

"Her" Nelson on a Fusion receiver! I get to shoot it at Galley Bulls-eye Friday's!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180912_105529 Fusion Nelson.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	591246

She looks forward to our range time. We usually combine trips to include a nice lunch afterward!

What's not to love!

P.S. We just celebrated out 55th anniversary

Last edited by jjfitch; 08-09-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
Stop the bus!

Women know what they want, need and what appeals to them!

Take her to a few gun stores and let her choose what she wants!

I specialize in training women and have seen so many issues in this area it's just stupid!

Example: My wife has her .22 semi-auto, her 38 Revolver and her AR-9!

When we go to the range it's about her, her guns and her enjoyment! I get as much enjoyment watching her shoot as I do shooting. She giggles every time she hears a "ding" when hitting steel at 100 yards at 100 yards with "her" AR-9!

"Her" Nelson on a Fusion receiver! I get to shoot it at Galley Bulls-eye Friday's!

Attachment 591246

She looks forward to our range time. We usually combine trips to include a nice lunch afterward!

What's not to love!

P.S. We just celebrated out 55th anniversary
What he said. Let her have what she wants. Trigger time is trigger time. My wife said my 1911 is too heavy and having had carpal tunnel surgery her wrists are weak and she has a lot of trouble with the slide. I took her to the gun store and told her to pick out what she wanted. She first looked at a PPK but the slide was still hard for her. She settled on a S&W Shield 9 EZ. It wouldn't have been one I would have chosen for her but it was the prefect choice for her.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:15 PM

American Tactical / GSG 1911

I went through a similar analysis, and after experimenting with a couple of original Colt conversion kits for my vintage 1911s (not a good experience), I ended up buying a GSG 1911 and have been very happy. Slightly lighter, but the same size and function as a typical 1911. So far it has cycled everything I've run through it (including some really old leftover rounds from the '60s) and serves well the purpose of being a low-cost practice firearm.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:25 PM

I will second the advice to get a conversion. Pay attention to the manufacturers instructions, as to ammunition. Too many get, say a Kimber, which says in bold letters not to use anything except 40 gr. HV loads, and then blame the device. Most .22's, of all makes prefer a particular ammo, and the device/ gun chooses.

The best thing about a conversion, is that it uses THE EXACT SAME TRIGGER, as you use for real. Trigger control is the hardest thing to learn, so more time on your trigger is good.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ron "Chalky" Beason
Old 08-12-2020, 07:48 PM

.22lr 1911

Quote:

Most of the session was focused on improving my trigger pull so ideally Id want a pull similar to my 1911. Two obvious candidates would be the Browning 1911-22 and the Walther made Colt 1911-22. My wife really likes firing the Ruger Mark IV tactical so Id like to kill two birds with one stone, but it may not work well for my goals.

Suggestions?
For you wife ... well ... seems shes made her choice clear.

For yourself, the MkIV when youre good ... but a .22 conversion kit for the rest of the time and when shes shooting the MkIV. The Nelson kit is easily the finest of a raft of m1911 .22 conversions Ive used: bullseye-grade accuracy, great options and support. If you dont need that level of accuracy, a Kimber Rimfire Target is really good for plinking; I use it for speed drills and it can run a long time between cleanings.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:01 PM

I have an Advantage Arms conversion and have had excellent results with it.
My .22 practice pistol is a 1911. It can be your EDC carry 1911 as far as "feel" and
trigger operation. Just shooting 22. I put fiber optics on my conversion to match my
competition sights.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:09 PM

Thumbs up Shoot a little

OK, I go to a range once a week for an hour, twice if I can slip away. My session begins with 22's, I take 2, incase one has an issue. I have a Buckmark, Ruger Mark 2 22/45, a S&W 22A, and S&W Victory. After 35-40 minutes I switch. 22's I run 200-300, and then switch to 9/40/45, just depends what I feel like. Sometime 38/357. For the full power I'll go thru 50-75 rounds. I focus on one thing each session Trigger, grip, stance, etc......

If you are looking for something closest to to 1911, The Mark 2 22/45 is it. Has the controls in all the same places and the cant of the grip is the same.The best shooter is the Victory, it is stock, just has a threaded barrel for a future suppressor. I am more accurate with it, not sure why, but to me the weight is more in line with the weight of a 1911. For trigger control I took the Buckmark and replaced the trigger with a Tandemkoss one. I'm not sure of the pull but it is so light, maybe 3 LB, it helps be 'be surprised' when it goes off, which is what you want, which helps me train. For overall practice I use the 22A, I use it when I want to measure overall performance.

To answer the question, overall I'd go with the 22/45 Ruger. If just for your reason given. Enjoy, it is habit forming........
Old 08-13-2020, 06:15 AM

A .22 upper conversion on the same lower as you carry would be exactly the same feel, trigger, safety location, etc. That's what I did.

Plan B - I also like the Browning 1911-380 and -22, bought one of each.