Generator Recommendation - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-08-2020, 08:08 AM

Generator Recommendation

I am looking at purchasing a small home portable generator to power items such as electric heaters/freezers and refrigerators. We currently have a DeVilbiss 7000 watt gas generator we purchased in 2000 (Y2K). We've hardly ever used it and probably because of that we keep having issues with it so I'm in the market for a new one. We have a local reputable Husqvarna dealer who sells DR generators. I looked at a 6500 watt one yesterday that sells for $900.

I've also read good reviews about Harbor Freight Predator generators. My wife dislikes the noise our current generator makes - it is super noisy! We also discussed possibly purchasing a solar powered home generator such as a Titan. Issues with solar power are limited power output, high price (Titan is $3000) and if no sun you're screwed. Again I'm not wanting to purchase something that powers numerous items - just appliances and something that is fairly quiet.

I've searched this forum and did find some info however would appreciate any and all recommendations.

Thanks much!
Old 08-08-2020, 08:13 AM

I think the cheaper generators are pretty much the same. I have several and then I have a bigger diesel generator that’s capable of running everything.

One of the biggest considerations I think is to buy a smaller generator that is “dual fuel“ that can run on gasoline or propane. The reason that significant is that propane is clean, you can hook up those bottles, run the generator and then shut it down and not worry about clogging up the carburetor.You can flip a switch to run on gasoline but, after that, you’re running a little while on propane and it leaves it clean when you shut it down.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:39 AM

Earlier this week, my portable 7 year old 9000 watt got some exercise due to tropical storm Isaias. They’re ALL Chinese for the majority.
For 900$, you should be able to get a larger portable 8500-9000 watt/30amp.
Gasoline, electric start, low oil shutoff and has been dependable. And yes, its not quiet. Its far enough from the kitchen family room where the noise is less obnoxious. The only quiet portables That I’ve heard are the Hondas, but they usually less output and 2X the price. (Get the wife some head phones, its cheaper.. ). Down side to portables is wheel it out/in and make sure you’ve got 4-6 5 gallon cans filled, and basically babysitting it. Each time I have to use it, i re visit doing the whole house automatic Generac LP setup. But those start at about 10k-12k for my house, a long way from $900.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2020, 09:41 AM

I did not know much about the hybrid dual fuel gas/propane generators. I just reviewed some information about the Duromax 5000 watt hybrid generator. I really like the idea I can run it on gas plus propane. It appears it would run most any ordinary appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, electric heaters etc. It says it will run off gas grill tanks of propane. More research needed however sounds like a good deal.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:46 AM

Jim, they are great. One propane bottle runs the air conditioner in my camper for about eight or 10 hours along with the refrigerator and TV. When it runs out of propane, you just hook up another bottle and press the start button.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:34 AM
Banned

Dual fuel is nice to have- it allows for options. However, propane is probably the least efficient fuel one can use.
A 5-8k generator will burn 5 gallons in 24 hours at about 80% load. The same generator at the same load will consume 15+ (3 standard grill bottles) in that time.

One thing that I've found is that I get more use out of my little 2.7k Honda (that I got used, Honda is way over priced new) than I do out of my bigger 5k. The reason is that I'm NOT trying to run the whole house, all the time, like normal. My first priority is the freezers/ refrigerators- there's literally thousands of dollars that can spoil. The little Honda runs my 2 freezers and refrigerator, at a fraction of the fuel consumption of running the 5k. There even enough left for a few lights or tv....
Old 08-08-2020, 12:45 PM

Good observation about the smaller Honda generator. I'm thinking now if I just want to keep the fridge/freezer and some electric heaters running I don't need an 8000 watt gen maybe a 5000 watt will be fine.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ladd View Post
Good observation about the smaller Honda generator. I'm thinking now if I just want to keep the fridge/freezer and some electric heaters running I don't need an 8000 watt gen maybe a 5000 watt will be fine.
Electric space heaters are high wattage...

What I'll do during a hurricane power outage is use the honda about 6-8 hours a day, when I'm not at the house. Ill use the 5k for 2-4 hours a day, when I'm home, and want more working- fans, coffee pot, convection oven, lights, tv, computer, etc....

It gives the small generator a break, but manages fuel consumption well.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Dual fuel is nice to have- it allows for options. However, propane is probably the least efficient fuel one can use.
A 5-8k generator will burn 5 gallons in 24 hours at about 80% load. The same generator at the same load will consume 15+ (3 standard grill bottles) in that time.
Is this from actual use and your experience? I knew the propane was less efficient but wow.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Is this from actual use and your experience? I knew the propane was less efficient but wow.
The gas numbers are based on my own experiences- and a little research support them

The propane I only have limited experience with- we have some dual fuels at work. The few times we've used propane, the efficiency has been close to what I cited.... and, as with the gas, some research should support the numbers.

Propane, while "clean" is horribly inefficient....
Old 08-08-2020, 07:10 PM

BTUs equal energy content. More energy equals more power produced. In the vapor state propane has more BTUs than natural gas. For a gallon of liquid the BTUs (from lower to higher) are in this order... propane, gasoline and then diesel fuel. The main advantage to me of propane is that it stores better. The advantage of natural gas is usually unlimited supply. Both of these gasses are no comparison to gasoline or diesel fuel when it comes to hours of runtime per gallon. The downside to these last two is fuel degradation during long term storage.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:06 PM

Honda is the quietest generator on the market. Nothing else compares.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:04 PM

So put a bigger muffler on those noisy things!
Old 08-08-2020, 10:09 PM

Quick reminder about generators, I’ve had 2 friends have issues with the CO detectors going off in their homes. Extremely important to move away from the home.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Honda is the quietest generator on the market. Nothing else compares.
Yes Sir, I have a Honda EU3000i for essential things in case of extended power outage. Super quiet and so easy to pull start grandma wouldn’t have any problem. I run it 10 minutes every month, change the oil and gas every year, and only use stabilized non-ethanol gasoline. I did install Honda’s wheel kit which should have come with it IMO. Don’t forget to keep a few spare parts like spark plug, filters, etc... they might be difficult to find during a crisis.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:29 PM

Diesel stores well indefinitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
BTUs equal energy content. More energy equals more power produced. In the vapor state propane has more BTUs than natural gas. For a gallon of liquid the BTUs (from lower to higher) are in this order... propane, gasoline and then diesel fuel. The main advantage to me of propane is that it stores better. The advantage of natural gas is usually unlimited supply. Both of these gasses are no comparison to gasoline or diesel fuel when it comes to hours of runtime per gallon. The downside to these last two is fuel degradation during long term storage.
Gasoline not so much.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Gasoline not so much.
Diesel is just (really, more so) as vulnerable to water contamination as gasoline....

That aside, neither are as delicate or finicky as some seem to think. Even E10 gasoline will store for years with a decent stabilizer once in a while.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:19 PM

Any kind of fuel is vulnerable to water contamination.

Quote:
Diesel is just (really, more so) as vulnerable to water contamination as gasoline....

That aside, neither are as delicate or finicky as some seem to think. Even E10 gasoline will store for years with a decent stabilizer once in a while.
But while gasoline will leach moisture right out of the air, Diesel will not. Additionally with gasoline, the Butane component which aids in the gasification process needed for combustion. It will evaporate out into the atmosphere. This will reduce the viability of the Gasoline.

These are not issues for Diesel. Storage of Gasoline for any length of time is much more problematic than it is for Diesel. As you said stabilizing additives need to be added to it. These are not required for Diesel.

Additionally Diesel engines are much less finicky about fuel purity than Gasoline engines are.

Last edited by USMM guy; 08-09-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
But while gasoline will leach moisture right out of the air, Diesel will not. Additionally with gasoline, the Butane component which aids in the gasification process needed for combustion. It will evaporate out into the atmosphere. This will reduce the viability of the Gasoline.

These are not issues for Diesel. Storage of Gasoline for any length of time is much more problematic than it is for Diesel. As you said stabilizing additives need to be added to it. These are not required for Diesel.

Additionally Diesel engines are much less finicky about fuel purity than Gasoline engines are.
Ethanol gas will "leech" water, true. ALL fuel is vulnerable to condensation from changing environmental conditions- and water will kill a diesel far faster than a gas motor.

Diesel motors ARE less pick about what you put in them.... on road, off road, JP8, JP5, Jet-A, warm corn oil... a basic diesel will digest them all. Introduce ANY water, regardless of the source, and they crash quickly. There's a reason some diesel engines have WATWR filters in the fuel system.....

I'm not disparaging diesel at all. Its the origin of internal combustion. It should be the baseline standard for vehicles....
However, its not a miracle fuel. Put a 5 gallon can of diesel, E free, and E10 gas up in AUG in the NC Sandhills, where you have to chew your air 6 hours a day to breathe.... leave them untreated- the diesel will probably fail first. Diesels just can't handle water at all. Gas can, to some degree.
However, all fuels can be stabilized, and revived. Personally, I like PRG- (Gas or Diesel, as appropriate). Doesn't break the bank, 1oz/16 gallons, $30 a quart. And it just works. I've put old year old gas in my ZTR mower, from a 5 gallon can. 1/3rd oz of PRI-G a year.... narry an issue.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:58 PM

I may give PRG a try. I've used Stabil for 30 years and never had an engine that would not run on stored fuel. Now a days I buy non ethnol if I plan to store it for any length.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:03 PM

OK so now you are talking about how water will kill a Diesel engine.

Quote:
Ethanol gas will "leech" water, true. ALL fuel is vulnerable to condensation from changing environmental conditions- and water will kill a diesel far faster than a gas motor.

Diesel motors ARE less pick about what you put in them.... on road, off road, JP8, JP5, Jet-A, warm corn oil... a basic diesel will digest them all. Introduce ANY water, regardless of the source, and they crash quickly. There's a reason some diesel engines have WATWR filters in the fuel system.....

I'm not disparaging diesel at all. Its the origin of internal combustion. It should be the baseline standard for vehicles....
However, its not a miracle fuel. Put a 5 gallon can of diesel, E free, and E10 gas up in AUG in the NC Sandhills, where you have to chew your air 6 hours a day to breathe.... leave them untreated- the diesel will probably fail first. Diesels just can't handle water at all. Gas can, to some degree.
However, all fuels can be stabilized, and revived. Personally, I like PRG- (Gas or Diesel, as appropriate). Doesn't break the bank, 1oz/16 gallons, $30 a quart. And it just works. I've put old year old gas in my ZTR mower, from a 5 gallon can. 1/3rd oz of PRI-G a year.... narry an issue.
Faster than it will kill a gas engine. I thought that we were discussing fuels here. The point being that if there is no water in the fuel to begin with. Which is much more likely to be the case with Diesel as opposed to Gasoline. You are good to go. The simple reason why people put additives in their Gasoline, that are not needed in Diesel.

By the way it is leach. A "Leech" is something that sucks the blood out of you.

Did you feel the earthquake down by your place this morning?
Old 08-09-2020, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo3 View Post
I may give PRG a try. I've used Stabil for 30 years and never had an engine that would not run on stored fuel. Now a days I buy non ethnol if I plan to store it for any length.
I get E free for storage as well. I add ~1/3oz PRI-G per 5 gallon can. The manufacturers ratio is 1oz/16 gallons. I use it in my 2 stroke mix as well. Once a year, I "refresh" all of my stored gas (and diesel).
All of my gas engines (generators, mower, (2 stroke) chainsaws, trimmers, and blowers- are 3 pull starters, regardless of how long they sit... up to 6 months. The mower, with an electric start, is about a 2 second start on its worst day.
The only issue I've ever had was not touching the generator for 7 years- no need- and forgetting to shut off the fuel supply and drain the carb. I'd have been better off putting molasses in that carburetor..... but for season, no worries.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Faster than it will kill a gas engine. I thought that we were discussing fuels here. The point being that if there is no water in the fuel to begin with. Which is much more likely to be the case with Diesel as opposed to Gasoline. You are good to go. The simple reason why people put additives in their Gasoline, that are not needed in Diesel.

By the way it is leach. A "Leech" is something that sucks the blood out of you.

Did you feel the earthquake down by your place this morning?
Brother, we are discussing fuels.... and high humidity and variable temperatures WILL put water, a lot of it, into stored fuel. Condensation is NOT a function of fuel type.... And diesels, while tolerant of a vast array of impurities, cannot digest water. Its because they're compression vs spark fired, and diesel is less volatile, less combustible- although it IS more energetic. Ive put everything from lo sulfur on road to JP8/F24 to Jet A to JP5 to off road to Jet B in a diesel truck. Some of these fuels are not particularly good for a truck engine, and will significantly reduce power, torque, and longevity- but they will run.
Add a half ounce of water to 20 gallons, and it'll die.....

Hopefully, you'll forgive my typo....
Old 08-09-2020, 03:21 PM

Right and gasoline will suck up a lot more water than diesel will.

Quote:
Brother, we are discussing fuels.... and high humidity and variable temperatures WILL put water, a lot of it, into stored fuel. Condensation is NOT a function of fuel type.... And diesels, while tolerant of a vast array of impurities, cannot digest water. Its because they're compression vs spark fired, and diesel is less volatile, less combustible- although it IS more energetic. Ive put everything from lo sulfur on road to JP8/F24 to Jet A to JP5 to off road to Jet B in a diesel truck. Some of these fuels are not particularly good for a truck engine, and will significantly reduce power, torque, and longevity- but they will run.
Add a half ounce of water to 20 gallons, and it'll die.....

Hopefully, you'll forgive my typo....
The reason why they put those water filters on diesel engines is because they actually can filter the water out. Water does not really mix well with Diesel. While it readily mixes with Gasoline. No use even trying to get it out of gas.

I guess that is why you put it in quotation marks. Because you knew it was a typo. Gotcha.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
The reason why they put those water filters on diesel engines is because they actually can filter the water out. Water does not really mix well with Diesel. While it readily mixes with Gasoline. No use even trying to get it out of gas.

I guess that is why you put it in quotation marks. Because you knew it was a typo. Gotcha.
Water does not mix well with any oil based product, be it gas or diesel It separates. When water gets into the cylinders, things start to go wrong.- exponentially more so with diesel than gas. Diesel trucks have water separators because the effects are more significant that with gas, not because gas mixes "better" with water, and is more difficult to separate. This time of year, I separate water and 100LL gas every time I pre flight.... miniscu quantities, but some water nonetheless.

If you wish to nitpick at typos, syntax, and granatical errors, I'd suggest you take a long look at you're own writing before you start to cast stones.....