1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 02:58 PM

Dillon Precision and very poor customer service issues

I called Dillon Precision today, to order some worn parts for my D1050. I experienced the worst customer service from any company in a very long time.

When I called their toll free number around 1pm EST, I knew there was a three hour time difference, so it was about 10:00am Arizona time. I never got a live person on the phone, and simply got a recording.....suggesting I could go on hold, but if they did not answer in 15 minutes, the call would be ended. It was suggested I go to the Dillon website, and request a call back number......so I did. After about 35-40 minutes, I got a call from Dillon and spoke with a person named "Steve." I began the conversation, and within 5-6 seconds, the call was dropped. Do you think Steve from Dillon would call me back again, well guess what .....NO!

I then had to go to their website again, and request another "call back." I even tried to contact their Customer Service Dept. and still could not get any help.

**edited**......I am extremely disappointed in their customer service.....but since I need their parts, I can't look elsewhere..... After the second time I requested a "call back," it has now been over an hour, without a call......this is ridiculous!

Last edited by Grandpas50AE; 08-07-2020 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comment
Old 08-06-2020, 03:13 PM

Dillon poor customer service.....

I finally got another call back from Dillon, and once again "Steve" called. I told him I needed some parts for my RL 1050, and mentioned it was not a Dillon Super 1050. He then asked me if the frame was black or silver....and I said it was more gray, but not black. He then said it was the D Super 1050. I said no, my customer service manual shows it is the RL 1050, and this machine was prior to the DSuper 1050. He then said again, no it is a Dillon Super 1050. I then explained I purchased the machine in 1995, and didn't think the Super 1050 was even on the market....and he said the Super 1050 came out in 1998... He still didn't believe me, so I started to request the parts I needed.....
I used the parts # from my original RL 1050 parts list, and when I requested a part number 8121B, which is a lever arm bracket, he said that was not the right part #, so I said, I have the original RL 1050 book with the part numbers, and that is what it shows.....i guess I was getting a bit irritated, and he said, "you need to lose the attitude or I am not going to help you....." and he then hung up..... Yes, I was irritated, but I did not use any profanity or name calling.....that is the worst customer service person I have ever dealt with......
Old 08-06-2020, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

I've never had that problem whenever I have called Dillon, but perhaps "Steve" was having a bad day too. Write them a letter explaining the ordeal, along with the correct part number from your user manual, and I bet they get the problem in CS rectified quickly. Everyone I've dealt with there has been stellar, but any company can get one person that just doesn't fit with attitude.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2020, 03:35 PM

Surprised you got a phone call at all. I stopped by Saturday and it was so packed I did not even bother trying to go into the store. Guess I could have been upset, but like every other store in the firearm or related industry, they are smashed right now.

I would email CS and place my order that way.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:42 PM

That's a shame. I broke the "crank" on my 550, called in, left my number, got a call back and a package in a very few days.

I'd call again and if Steve gave me any trouble, I would ask for his supervisor.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:29 PM

This is literally the 1st bad customer service post against Dillon that I have ever seen. Weird.
Troy341
Old 08-06-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 341 View Post
This is literally the 1st bad customer service post against Dillon that I have ever seen. Weird.
Troy341
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post

I guess the late Mike Dillon spent to much money on his airplanes and gatling guns, and never spent enough money on having enough people to give proper customer support.......
I usually respect your posts but that's just a cheap shot at a dead man.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:43 PM

I agree, first bad Dillon call I have heard of. I've called Dillon and they were great.

Are you sure you didn't call Lee Precision Reloading by mistake? That is EXACTLY what I get from them, lies, BS, run around and generally screwed over. Just got it again a couple days ago when I wrote them! Yeah, we COULD help you, but we won't. You bought junk, you got junk, it's still junk. Up you'res. thank you, call again.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
I've never had that problem whenever I have called Dillon, but perhaps "Steve" was having a bad day too. Write them a letter explaining the ordeal, along with the correct part number from your user manual, and I bet they get the problem in CS rectified quickly. Everyone I've dealt with there has been stellar, but any company can get one person that just doesn't fit with attitude.
^ great answer. Some companies we always great "A+" service and then one day 'Steve' has a bad day.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
I guess the late Mike Dillon spent to much money on his airplanes and gatling guns, and never spent enough money on having enough people to give proper customer support.......
In addition to being false, it is in incredibly bad taste and is in appropriate to speak ill of someone deceased who has done so much positive for this industry.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 08-07-2020, 05:32 AM

"Customer Service?"

"Steve" obviously doesn't work in Customer Service or he would be schooled to never speak to a customer that way, regardless of the situation. If I spoke to one of our clients that way I'd be on my way to the unemployment office. No excuses. Complete bravo sierra!

Sent from my PRC-25

Old 08-07-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifers View Post
I agree, first bad Dillon call I have heard of. I've called Dillon and they were great.

Are you sure you didn't call Lee Precision Reloading by mistake? That is EXACTLY what I get from them, lies, BS, run around and generally screwed over. Just got it again a couple days ago when I wrote them! Yeah, we COULD help you, but we won't. You bought junk, you got junk, it's still junk. Up you'res. thank you, call again.
“Steve” used to work for them......something tells me he won’t be with Dillon very long!
Old 08-07-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD View Post
"Steve" obviously doesn't work in Customer Service or he would be schooled to never speak to a customer that way, regardless of the situation. If I spoke to one of our clients that way I'd be on my way to the unemployment office. No excuses. Complete bravo sierra!
I’m sure that has always been Dillon’s philosophy as well. If “Steve” is not reported to CS for being an asshat, many more will suffer his poor customer handling skills. Yes, the place is jammed I’m sure. No reason to act like a dog faced pony soldier!
Old 08-07-2020, 08:46 AM

OMG How dare anyone say big blue is not perfect in any way

I've noticed a trend on this forum. If someone has an issue with a top tier company like Dillon or Wilson Combat it is ok but if you have an issue with your Lee press or your Rock Island 1911 then we hear how it is just junk and you should buy better.

Parts breakage is common with any manufacturer. Good customer service is not so common. Maybe "Steve" had a bad day. Maybe his mom just died from covid. I have had nothing but good service from Lee. Others have not. And the beat goes on.....
Old 08-07-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
OMG How dare anyone say big blue is not perfect in any way

I've noticed a trend on this forum. If someone has an issue with a top tier company like Dillon....
a sample of 1 does not make a trend...
Old 08-07-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifers View Post

I know you folks love your Dillon's.
I'm sure you have to justify spending that much for something that does what a less expensive product will do just as well.
Lee is economical reloading equipment. It might not have all the bells and whistles but it works fine. As for their CS, I've had nothing but a good experience with them. But then I didn't go in with a attitude.
I broke a depriming pin in a .223 die. Looked on their website and called them. Explained what I needed and why. I broke the thing because I picked up brass at the range an picked up a piece of Russian brass with a Berdan primer pocket. My CS rep looked up my part # and told me my part would arrive in a few days at no cost to me. I again explain it was my fault, I felt I should pay for it. He told me again it would be no cost. Thanks for using Lee.
When it arrived, on time I opened the box to find not 1 but 2 pins. How can you have a better experience than that.

I read posts here where we knock new gun owners. With what's happening in the world and how many are coming for our guns we should embrace new gun owners. Same goes for reloaders who use Lee.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:18 AM

I'm sorry Old Marine 2 but nothing Lee makes works as well as a Dillon 650.

That's like saying a 1976 Pinto does the same thing as a 2020 Ram 2500. Yeah, they will both get you from point A to point B but that's where it ends.

Dillon is BOMBED with calls right now. I'd guess 98% of those calls are from new reloaders or people looking into reloading and most of them don't know their elbow from their a*s*s.

There's a reason that "Steve" asked the color of your press. When presented with color choices of black or silver and you answer gray, but not black then they have to assume it's silver.

In your post you even call it a D1050.

I have a very strong feeling that "Steve" was just as frustrated with the call as you were.

I'll meet you at Old North Bridge....where ever it might be. Every Patriot should have 100 yards of good strong rope on hand!

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Marine 2 View Post
I know you folks love your Dillon's.
I'm sure you have to justify spending that much for something that does what a less expensive product will do just as well.
Lee is economical reloading equipment. It might not have all the bells and whistles but it works fine. As for their CS, I've had nothing but a good experience with them. But then I didn't go in with a attitude.
I broke a depriming pin in a .223 die. Looked on their website and called them. Explained what I needed and why. I broke the thing because I picked up brass at the range an picked up a piece of Russian brass with a Berdan primer pocket. My CS rep looked up my part # and told me my part would arrive in a few days at no cost to me. I again explain it was my fault, I felt I should pay for it. He told me again it would be no cost. Thanks for using Lee.
When it arrived, on time I opened the box to find not 1 but 2 pins. How can you have a better experience than that.

I read posts here where we knock new gun owners. With what's happening in the world and how many are coming for our guns we should embrace new gun owners. Same goes for reloaders who use Lee.
Some good points there. Not everyone has the financial means to acquire top tier machines, but many of the lesser ones will work for them with a little tweaking and they make perfectly good ammo with them. As easy or fast? Maybe, maybe not - but that's not the point. The point is every manufacturer has their market they address, and like you stated we should be welcoming them into the sport as fellow supporters of the 2A. Same is true for most other products as well - cars, boats, charcoal grills, whatever.

Let's try to assist the OP with suggestions to help, and not turn this into a complaint thread or hijack it with various equipment manufacturers general discussion. Stay on the original topic.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 08-07-2020, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenGrunt View Post

That's like saying a 1976 Pinto does the same thing as a 2020 Ram 2500. Yeah, they will both get you from point A to point B but that's where it ends.

Dillon is BOMBED with calls right now. I'd guess 98% of those calls are from new reloaders or people looking into reloading and most of them don't know their elbow from their a*s*s.

There's a reason that "Steve" asked the color of your press. When presented with color choices of black or silver and you answer gray, but not black then they have to assume it's silver.

I have a very strong feeling that "Steve" was just as frustrated with the call as you were.
Everyone is "bombed" right now - reloading equipment manufacturers, ammo manufacturers, component manufacturers, gun manufacturers - none of them are immune to this panic stuff and shortage of raw materials.

In the original post, he did call it a D1050 - NOT a Super 1050; the D1050 was the old machine that became the Super 1050 when they made some changes to the original D1050.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 08-07-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenGrunt View Post

First old grunt, Semper Fi. That said the original post was not mine. I jumped in when Lee Precision was knocked. I don't own a Dillion of any color. Nor will I.

As for your Pinto/Ram comparison I wouldn't drive either.
But you're right, they both get you from A to B.
As for new reloaders/gun owners not knowing their *a*s*s* from their elbow I'll just ask you, where did you get the knowledge you have? Were you born with it or did someone, perhaps many help you along the way.
My guess is it's many, plus time spent reading and doing.

Lee has a place in this gun culture. Tell me you never owned or used one.
I packed a Lee hand loader to the range with granddad long before some here were a gleam in daddy's eye. We used it to develop my first deer load. I was 15.
I no longer use my Lee for everyday loading tasks, but it was a start into reloading for me. And I still have it in working order. Use it for my 03 a3 loads.
Someone slamming new gun owners/reloaders like you and Jennifer's did is just counter productive to what we enjoy in this country. Are you sure you support our 2A rights for everyone. Or is it just for long time gun owners.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
a sample of 1 does not make a trend...
For piss poor customer service then no. My comment was about overall not just their cs.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Marine 2 View Post
Old 08-07-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
For piss poor customer service then no. My comment was about overall not just their cs.
Didn't mean to pull your comments out of context.... I must just be missing the other comments.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I would ask for his supervisor.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:40 PM

I got out the popcorn before the first response though I admit I didn't see the Lee turn.
Closed Thread