Kimber and MIM parts - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-05-2020, 09:59 PM

Kimber and MIM parts

I know this has been hashed over man times but I thought I would relate to you the failures I have had with these parts. I have a older Kimber Custom that has probably 7-8,000 rounds through it. Within years time I have had two MIM parts failures. A magazine catch and a hammer both broke, disabling the gun. I carried this gun for a long time but have lost confidence in it now, even though I have replaced these two parts with machined parts.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:05 PM

I believe Kimber was the first 1911 manufacturer that used MIM to the extreme.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:27 PM

I have over 20 Kimbers that I accumulated since they started production. I have had two MIM failures, a thumb safety and a sear. I replaced with Wilson parts and have had no other problems. I do feel that now, Colt is a better buy for the money, but when Kimber came out they were the best quality for the money, but have changed my mind the last few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2020, 03:11 PM

Story goes the older Kimbers had poor quality MIM components which unfairly gives all MIM parts a black eye in some peoples minds.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
Story goes the older Kimbers had poor quality MIM components which unfairly gives all MIM parts a black eye in some peoples minds.
What's the cutoff year or series for Kimber MIM parts and overall quality? I have a Kimber Team Match II (and two other of the same vintage on the way). I couldn't get over how affordable and how accurate my Team Match II was, and dare I say, has been my most accurate 1911 so far. If I get a about five thousand rounds through it and need to replace parts, it's nice to know there are Ed Brown parts that can be fitted to work on it and keeps my local gunsmith in business. Besides, I use a high-capacity polymer for SD, anyway, and all my 1911 have been range guns. I've spend six times more money on 1911 and put four times more rounds down range through 1911s, and I love my 1911 a lot more than my polymers. But I don't worry about a MIM failure in a 1911 anymore.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:53 PM

I don't know the timeline when Kimber had the questionable parts.
Your gun sounds like a good one.