coated lead - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-05-2020, 09:18 AM

coated lead

any preference between the various manufacturers? or is thier coating all the same?
trying to keep leading to a minimum

thanks
Old 08-05-2020, 09:32 AM

I've used Bayou Bullets first close to when they started selling hi-tek coated bullets but prefer a SWC design for practice and moved to Missouri Bullets about ,, maybe 5 or 6 years ago for 9mm , 40sw and 45 acp . Also 357mag and 38 for plinker loads all Hi-Tek Coated SWC .

I think most brands use Hi-Tek I stay with what worked well for me . Missouri Bullets uses the same coating and also gives you more of a range of bullet hardness depending for your needs with a brenell hardness that runs from 12 to 20 with some bullet sizes .

Some companies may not state what they use but you can ask if you like there lead bullets otherwise .

Last edited by hardluk1; 08-05-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:49 AM

The coatings are not all the same. Hi-Tek is one coating. There are other coatings that they don't share what they are.

I'll meet you at Old North Bridge....where ever it might be. Every Patriot should have 100 yards of good strong rope on hand!

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenGrunt View Post
The coatings are not all the same. Hi-Tek is one coating. There are other coatings that they don't share what they are.
figured that was the case, i probably should have said "Do they all perform the same"
Old 08-05-2020, 10:17 AM

Try Missouri Bullet Company.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:20 AM

Yes, there are at least two common types of coatings commercially used. One is Hi-Tek which is a dark grey or black coating, seemingly thinner and a bit harder than powder coating. I have used a lot of Precision coated bullets. Powder Coating is s bit softer coating that comes in multi colors, I have purchase quite a few from Acme Bullets. Mainly the only time when I purchase cast or coated bullets is when I don't have a mold for a particular bullet. I've had excellent results with bullets purchased from these two, and have not really read any reports of bad results from any of the major bullet casters/coaters. I used lead bullet reloading methods and load data, and have driven some to near max. velocities with no fouling..
Old 08-05-2020, 11:37 AM

Yes, they all pretty much perform the same.
I've used and liked, SNS casting, MBC (Missouri Bullet Co), The Blue Bullets and Black Bullets Int.
Right now I'm running MBC 45/185 button nose in my 45 and SNS 9mm/125 RN in my 9mm 1911.
Recently SNS and MBC have some bullets available, SNS updates their site daily, so check often, MBC will take backorders.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

I've shot green and red, from two different vendors, in .38Spl, 9mm and 45acp. They all performed very well. I will buy again when I need more bullets.

NRA Life Member
Old 08-05-2020, 12:07 PM
1911 Aficionado

I've been shooting black bullets from Precision and Bear Creek for almost twenty years, and have been very satisfied.

Don't know what's in the coating, but it works.

Cleaning the bore usually consists of one stroke, with a dry bore brush, for every ten rounds fired.
Dry patch to remove any dusty residue.

I've shot about 600 bullets from Gallant, and have been generally satisfied, but they seem more susceptible to the coating being scraped off during the seating process.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:10 PM

I have shot a lot of Bayou bullets, and they're fine. Lately, I have been using Precision bullets, and they work just fine also.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
Yes, there are at least two common types of coatings commercially used. One is Hi-Tek which is a dark grey or black coating, seemingly thinner and a bit harder than powder coating. I have used a lot of Precision coated bullets. Powder Coating is s bit softer coating that comes in multi colors, I have purchase quite a few from Acme Bullets. Mainly the only time when I purchase cast or coated bullets is when I don't have a mold for a particular bullet. I've had excellent results with bullets purchased from these two, and have not really read any reports of bad results from any of the major bullet casters/coaters. I used lead bullet reloading methods and load data, and have driven some to near max. velocities with no fouling..
Hi-Tek is/was imported in 13 different colors. I have them all.

Basically you have

Black 2 colors available
Red 3 colors available
Gold/bronze 3 colors available
Green 2 colors available
Copper 1 color available
Blue 1 color available
Gunmetal 1 color available

There was also a dark green that wasn't commercially available. There's a bright pink in the works

Tru Blue
Kryptonite Green
Gold 1035
Brick Red
Old Gold
Candy Apple Red
Red Copper
Black 1035
Bronze 502
Zombie Green
Gun Metal
Black Cherry
Black K15

That's the complete list of Hi-Tek that's been available in the US in the past 5 years or so. Tru Blue is the newest color and only became available this year.

Most commercial users stick with darker colors as they cover up over baking of the product.

I'll meet you at Old North Bridge....where ever it might be. Every Patriot should have 100 yards of good strong rope on hand!

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:28 PM

so i could not find load data for VV N320 on thier website, i emailed them
got this reply, is this normal?

If you are going to be loading cast lead or powder coated lead bullets. Us the load data for " COPPER PLATED" , BERRYS , H&N , LSWC , RANIER , ETC. Copper plated and cast lead bullets use the same load data .
Old 08-06-2020, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, normal to use cast data for plated bullets. But weird (to me) that they reference H&N, who I never heard of, and Rainer, who I suspect is out of business.

NRA Life Member
Old 08-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Yes, normal to use cast data for plated bullets. But weird (to me) that they reference H&N, who I never heard of, and Rainer, who I suspect is out of business.
h&N is german, i googled them
VV is European after all
Old 08-07-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Basically you have

Black 2 colors available
Red 3 colors available
Green 2 colors available
Copper 1 color available
Blue 1 color available

There was also a dark green that wasn't commercially available. There's a bright pink in the works

Tru Blue
Kryptonite Green
Gold 1035
Brick Red
Old Gold
Candy Apple Red
Red Copper
Black 1035
Bronze 502
Zombie Green
Gun Metal
Black Cherry
Black K15

That's the complete list of Hi-Tek that's been available in the US in the past 5 years or so. Tru Blue is the newest color and only became available this year.

Most commercial users stick with darker colors as they cover up over baking of the product.

Now thatís a pile of colors
Attached Thumbnails
4BD60622-9052-456B-AEAE-D99471D62409.jpeg  
Old 08-09-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Basically you have

Black 2 colors available
Red 3 colors available
Green 2 colors available
Copper 1 color available
Blue 1 color available

Tru Blue
Kryptonite Green
Gold 1035
Brick Red
Old Gold
Candy Apple Red
Red Copper
Black 1035
Bronze 502
Zombie Green
Gun Metal
Black Cherry
Black K15

The only Hi-Tek coated bullets I found, for sale from commercial vendors were dark grey/black in 45 ACP, 9mm and 38/357. I PC but don't Hi Tek any of my bullets so I have not researched any other colors...
Old 08-09-2020, 02:52 PM

Right now there aren't as many colors available. Everything is in short supply.

The darker colors are preferred by commercial casters as they don't show the effects of over curing.

Missouri Bullet Company offers red copper, gold and bronze bullets.

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:17 PM

I prefer Precision Bullets for two reasons:
They are swaged, so the weight and geometry and very consistent
and
They have NEVER failed me.
Try them and see for yourself.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:18 PM

I started shooting 200gr SWC from Bayou and I shot many thousands of them. I bought them before they had a website and I had to call Donnie on the phone and he would send the bullets with a note telling me how much they cost. They are still great bullets.

I have also shot a lot of bullets from SNS in .45, 9mm, .38 Spl and 45-70 and find them to be great to shoot also.
Acme is another good brand and they send the bullets in a really nice wood box!
Old 08-11-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
I prefer Precision Bullets for two reasons:
They are swaged, so the weight and geometry and very consistent
and
They have NEVER failed me.
Try them and see for yourself.

The bullet was great, but the coating... I hate.

Unlike Hi-Tek coated bullets, which were a dream to clean after, I never get my barrel clean after shooting Precision Bullets. The coating leaves a residue that *will not come off*.

Eventually, I found Precision Bulletsí suggestion to soak the barrel... with a version of Pirahna etching solution. Hard pass... I want to clean my barrel, not etch patterns into it.

Precision also suggested a copper chore boy and CLP... which didnít work.

That drek is still stuck to my barrel, a constant reminder to never use that filth again.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:49 AM

I shoot the black bullets from Precision in my SIG 1911, .45 ACP, every week (sometimes twice) for competition. They are the most consistent bullets I have ever found with no defects.

As far as cleaning, in my own experience, it's easy. I usually brush about 10-11 strokes with a phosphor brush after spraying the inside of the barrel with QMAXX BLU and follow up with a wet, then dry patch. Usually 4 patches is enough for a clean barrel. I have never experienced any residue or coating left in the barrel after cleaning.

I have also used Missouri Bullets with good success and still use them for my .44 magnum loads.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah Zero View Post
The bullet was great, but the coating... I hate.

Unlike Hi-Tek coated bullets, which were a dream to clean after, I never get my barrel clean after shooting Precision Bullets. The coating leaves a residue that *will not come off*.

Eventually, I found Precision Bulletsí suggestion to soak the barrel... with a version of Pirahna etching solution. Hard pass... I want to clean my barrel, not etch patterns into it.

Precision also suggested a copper chore boy and CLP... which didnít work.

That drek is still stuck to my barrel, a constant reminder to never use that filth again.
It is amazing how different users have totally different experiences. I have shot in the area of 30,000 Precision Bullets with fantastic results. I have also recommended them and one friend who tried them had no luck at all with them. He experienced lots of residue left in the barrel that was hard to clean.

Guess it may just depends on the barrel they are shot out of.

I now only use them in my bullseye gun using their 200gr SWCís but have used many of their different bullets in the past.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 08-15-2020, 11:33 AM

Bayou was the original importer of Hi Tek coating from Australia and still a major source to other coaters. Their original supply was a dark "alligator" green; I still have some .38 Specials loaded with it. They now offer bullets in gold and black cherry.

Before Hi Tek was common, I shot coated bullets from Bull-X, Precision, Bear Creek, Ranger, and BBI. All were fine except I got some Precisions that were undersize and took a lot of attention to get firm in the case mouth. BBI with the "poly moly" coating they inherited from Ranger were fine in .38 and .45 but fouled badly at higher velocity in 9mm. They now use Hi Tek, a smart move.

I dipped some bullets in KalGard coating and they did ok but the carrier volatilized out of a closed can before I got them all done. I had to coat the rest of that lot in Corbin dip wax. The "poly moly" 9mms that fouled, I finished off by dipping in LLA-JPW.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
any preference between the various manufacturers? or is thier coating all the same?
trying to keep leading to a minimum

thanks
Try Midway USA.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSear...temsPerPage=24
Old 08-16-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Out View Post
Most of the time you can beat the Midway price by going direct to the bullet maker.

NRA Patriot Benefactor.