The best production 1911s - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-05-2020, 07:55 PM

Just bought my first two 1911s. A 5" SA Ronin in .45acp and a stainless steel 5" SA Range Officer in 9MM. Both of them ran great and put rounds in a 3in target at 20 yds, straight out of the box. I love the complete lack of recoil from the Range Officer.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:35 PM

I have Colt commercials that shoot fine and I've built quite a few using frames from good makers like Caspian (or Colt frames from the "good years") and used military spare slides in as close to unissued condition as I can find. I've also used a number of the Brazilian contract Colt slides, which I can modify for sights, etc. without worrying about destroying collector value.

While I use a mix of parts from Wilson, et. al. to build guns that run as nice as any, I don't really believe in the full-on guns with all the bells and whistles; I tend to build GI style guns with good internals and a nice beavertail safety to prevent bite. As I've gotten older I have to make concessions for better sights, which is why I use the Brazilian slides.

But if I had to buy one brand off the shelf for value and rely on it, I think I'd have to put my vote in the Springfield column. With one exception of a GI style pistol that had several problems, including a slide stop with a warped pin, in my experience Springfield is as fine as any and better than most in that category.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:01 AM

Springfield Armory TRP or EMP/EMP4 if you're looking for a 9mm 1911
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2020, 04:36 PM

This is a new pistol from Springfield 1911 vickers 1495.00

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...ical-handguns/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X65AtVmEC2Q
Old 08-06-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juancts View Post
... BUT, since my budget (and wife) won't allow it, I'll have to get me a production 1911.
Get a Colt in 45 ACP of course, you will not regret it.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1911 View Post

Nice lookin' no nonsense Roscoe and I like that they skipped FCS!!

Guy Noir, private eye.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:16 AM

I never understood the love for Springfields. Why do you consider them better than RIA/Taurus? Are they not similar, made over seas 1911 copies? I've handled two, one A1 and one 9mm (can't remember the model) and to me, they were no better than RIA. I am not current on them, are you saying they have moved production to USA now? And they've stepped up their quality?
Old 08-07-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblur View Post
I never understood the love for Springfields. Why do you consider them better than RIA/Taurus? Are they not similar, made over seas 1911 copies? I've handled two, one A1 and one 9mm (can't remember the model) and to me, they were no better than RIA. I am not current on them, are you saying they have moved production to USA now? And they've stepped up their quality?
Sorry but I'm new here so I can't tell if you're joking.
RIA & Taurus JAGA Springfield? pffft lol
Old 08-07-2020, 06:42 AM

I shot the new Springfield Armory Vickers 1911 the other day and it is a great pistol for the price.

Personally I have owned a bunch of Sig Sauer 1911's and all but my very first one (it was replaced by the factory) have been great guns.

Half the fun of buying a new gun is the research.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
SA 1911 models are made in the US in Illinois. Not manufactured overseas.
Joe
Old 08-07-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judoman View Post
Colt Wiley Clapp.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This. And you'll always get your money back, if you sell.
Bob

Old 08-07-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker116 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Momo View Post
Is that made over seas?
Oh Hell no made in Texas by Texans!! But I don't think they produce them any more.
I think Momo's thinking of the Spartan...which WAS made overseas. I used to get them confused as well and, as such, missed out on a HELL of a deal on a Trojan.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:34 PM

Ruger SR1911

Ruger SR1911 Commander in all steel. Nice right out of the box. Nothing you really need to do to it, except shoot it to break it in.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:57 PM

Springfield frames were cast in S. America and assembled in Il. I don't think they manufacture very many of there parts if any. I don't care for them but to be honest a lot of people love them.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:07 AM

SA 1911s aren’t cast. Forged. Regardless of country. They did build on PARA frames back in the 80s. And haven’t imported from Brazil since 2016-2017.
Joe
Old 08-08-2020, 05:57 PM

I believe when there frames came from Brazil they were cast, not a big deal either way. RIA does the same thing Springfield did for a long time. Parts manufactured in S. America and assembled in the U.S. I haven't owned an RIA but folks that do seem to be very happy with them, probably worth a look.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:48 PM

I was dead serious. Springer/RIA/Taurus = cast frames made in SA. Correct? "assembled in USA" does not mean "made in USA" and cast is cast regardless.

I assume Springfield being hand FINISHED in USA is what turns people on where as RIA/Taurus is all finished in SA?

Are any Springfields completely made in USA at this point? Are any of their frames forged?
Old 08-08-2020, 08:52 PM

In a simple perusal of the Springfield website, they state that their 1911 Mil-spec models are, and I quote; "Built on a forged frame and slide".
Old 08-08-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I was dead serious. Springer/RIA/Taurus = cast frames made in SA. Correct? "assembled in USA" does not mean "made in USA" and cast is cast regardless.

I assume Springfield being hand FINISHED in USA is what turns people on where as RIA/Taurus is all finished in SA?

Are any Springfields completely made in USA at this point? Are any of their frames forged?
A little out of date - Springers are made and built in the good old US of A

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 08-09-2020, 01:48 AM

Thanks for the update on Springfields. I guess I will stop treating them like illegal aliens
Old 08-09-2020, 08:21 AM

Check to see if the firing pin sticks out of the back of the gun by 1/32nd or more. To much trouble to machine it flush like most 1911 manufactures do I guess. Field strip one and look at the machine work on the inside of the slide and frame.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
Check to see if the firing pin sticks out of the back of the gun by 1/32nd or more. To much trouble to machine it flush like most 1911 manufactures do I guess. Field strip one and look at the machine work on the inside of the slide and frame.
Ummm, firing pin? Machined flush?
Joe
Old 08-09-2020, 04:17 PM

I have a 2008 Colt Government Model, and I prefer the fit and finish on the Springfield Mil-spec.
The Springfield is astonishingly good quality for the money.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:41 PM

I was in hurry shopping for my first gun early this year, and I may have only spent less than 100 hours reading reviews of all known 1911 brands from gun review sites, online stores, gun forums, and reviewers from youtube. I wasn't expecting any bad reviews on popular brand names like Colt and Springfield Armory. For me, complaints about bad fittings, rattlings, failure to function, etc. are to be expected of guns made in people's garage...not from well-known gun makers.

Then, something just "clicked". I have had bad experiences myself with everything "made in USA" involving metal works for the past 10 years. Are the skilled American workers in short supply because we sent almost all of our manufacturing jobs overseas, and made it undesirable to learn the crafts that won't help you find a local employment easily?

Instead of doing it right the first time, manufacturers in the US simply have their customer do the quality check. Well, it helps reduce production cost when you don't have to pay a dedicated quality control (QC) technician. But manufacturers from other countries like Philippines can afford the wages of QC techs, and they know not to skimp on quality if they want to make a name in the US market. That's why I tried my "luck" on a Rock Island 1911. I'm glad I did, because it works as it should, and (I realized later on) parts fit are better than other brands costing several hundred dollars more. 🙂

It's true, American quality still exists but I didn't want to spend $3000 for my first gun. 😉
Old 08-11-2020, 09:26 PM

As an owner of DW and a 1911 fanboy....you can't go wrong with Dan Wesson