The best production 1911s - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-29-2020, 06:18 PM

Do you know if the parts are made to fit as good as possible or are they actually fitted? That price is the lowest I've seen for a "custom" 1911.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:24 PM

Before buying I would take a look at the Ruger SR1911. I love my commander model.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreinhard View Post
Your budget is about where mine was, and I was leaning heavily towards Dan Wesson. LGS made me a heck of a deal on a Kimber that I couldn't turn down, though. I don't mind the Series 80/Swartz safety at all, and the tolerances on this are tight as all get out. There is zero wiggle in any part. Ran a couple hundred rounds through today with zero issues. I will likely upgrade the plastic MSH to steel at some point, but I'm in no hurry.
Off topic I know, but I have two Kimbers, Ultra and Compact. I replaced the plastic mainspring housing in each with a stainless mainspring housing from Wilson. They both fit perfectly, with no fitting required. And they give the pistols a classy look, without that cheap plastic piece.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 08:17 PM

Buy this one. STI does a good job and at this point you need to take what you can get.

https://www.armslist.com/posts/69600...1-45acp-pistol
Old 07-29-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juancts View Post
Hi. I'm in the market for a new 1911. I'd love to get me a custom hand fitted Les Baer, Ed Brown or Wilson Combat etc... BUT, since my budget (and wife) won't allow it, I'll have to get me a production 1911.

That said, I'm trying to find the best 1911 with the following specs:

Budget: $1500
Size: 4.5 up to 5"
Forged frame. No cast frames for me.
Caliber: .45 (only)
Reliability is a must !

With that in mind, what would you get ??

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I bought a Springfield Armory Tactical Elite Operator, and Mr. Larry Vickers gave me his seal of approval as a serious pistol for self defense.

To all the Springfield haters ESAD
Old 07-29-2020, 10:37 PM

I agree S/A TRP is best bang for your buck (as it was 10 years ago when I bought mine).

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 07-29-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1911 View Post
Off topic I know, but I have two Kimbers, Ultra and Compact. I replaced the plastic mainspring housing in each with a stainless mainspring housing from Wilson. They both fit perfectly, with no fitting required. And they give the pistols a classy look, without that cheap plastic piece.
S&A and Fusion mainspring housings also fit perfectly and without fitting.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:11 AM

Just my 2 cents, but at your price point I would heed the advice of NoExpert and find a Springfield and take the extra money and have a competent gunsmith hone the trigger. Once you have a reliable gun you must have a good trigger and in the right hands, you canít beat a 1911 trigger. I donít mean a light trigger, but one that is reliable, smooth, breaks clean with no over travel. It will make all the difference in how you shoot the gun.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:29 AM

Dan Wesson warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
The only negative Iíll throw out on the DanWesson is that their warranty is only 1 year and only for the original purchaser. Most of their competitors have a lifetime warranty & most will honor it even if youíre not the oe owner. Past that DW makes a very fine piece that youíll probably not regret buying.

Another I would add to the ďlistĒ is the Springfield TRP, very nice gun that can be had within your budget. I donít have one but have been eyeballing them for some time now.

I do have a Sig STX which is basically their TTT just assembled in their custom shop, it does have some MIM parts which to me is not that big of a deal, I do prefer solid steel parts but so long as it works Iím ok with it, the STX works well !

Something that troubles most is the series 80 system in the STX burins removed and polished all those parts early on so they work very smoothly. The trigger on it feels every bit as good as any of my series 70 guns including my Baer TRS or my Brown Executive. You cannot feel the series 80 parts at all. Just my .02.
The warranty is a limited 5 year warranty. From their site:

"All Dan Wesson firearms are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship for one (1) year on wooden parts and surface treatment and five (5) years on other parts to the original purchaser. This warranty is granted by Dan Wesson, 65 Borden Ave, Norwich, NY 13815. (RETURN AUTHORIZATION NUMBER IS REQUIRED BEFORE SHIPPING)."
Old 07-30-2020, 07:17 AM

In addition to the suggestions above, I would also take a look at the Vickers Tactical from Lipsey's/Springfield. MSRP is just under $1500.

https://lipseysguns.com/lipseys-excl...er-class-1911/

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...5-acp-handgun/
Old 07-30-2020, 10:53 AM

Dan Wesson.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:51 PM

Rock Island Ultra CCO

I have been considering how I will spend my next stimulus check and have been kicking around the idea of a new 1911.

Rock Island Arms produces what they call the Rock Ultra CCO 1911.
It is the Officerís aluminum lower frame with the Combat Commander slide and barrel. It now has ambidextrous safeties, rowel hammer, beavertail grip safety with ďmemory padĒ, good adjustable sights, full length guide rod (stainless), and a skeletonized trigger with over travel adjustment.
These are all of the things I did to my 1911 Government Model over the years but that is just too big (and heavy) to carry daily concealed.

All of the above is MSRP $760!

Note: There is some confusion on my part regarding the included ambi-safety as verbiage says it is not part of the package even though it is shown in the photos???
Old 07-30-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
In addition to the suggestions above, I would also take a look at the Vickers Tactical from Lipsey's/Springfield. MSRP is just under $1500.

https://lipseysguns.com/lipseys-excl...er-class-1911/

Very interesting!
Colt Officer's Model in S/S, Les Baer 1.5" S.R.P w/Hard Chrome finish; S&W 686; Beretta M9A3; Ed Brown Classic Custom; Kimber Classic Stainless w/Gemini Customs mods; Clark Custom Meltdown-D; Walther PPK/S; NRA Life Member
Old 07-30-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juancts View Post
Hi. I'm in the market for a new 1911. I'd love to get me a custom hand fitted Les Baer, Ed Brown or Wilson Combat etc... BUT, since my budget (and wife) won't allow it, I'll have to get me a production 1911.

That said, I'm trying to find the best 1911 with the following specs:

Budget: $1500
Size: 4.5 up to 5"
Forged frame. No cast frames for me.
Caliber: .45 (only)
Reliability is a must !

With that in mind, what would you get ??

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Colt Wiley Clapp.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2020, 06:32 PM

Dan Wesson. No MIM, great selection of models. I have a Valor and two PM9s, all used in competition. It’s a great pleasure to shoot these guns.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:29 PM

I only own a Ruger and a RIA, but a TRP would be my next 1911.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtool View Post
Buy this one. STI does a good job and at this point you need to take what you can get.

https://www.armslist.com/posts/69600...1-45acp-pistol
Is that made over seas?
Old 07-30-2020, 11:40 PM
Banned

I’d buy a SA if the wife is on you about spending. Their cheap gun is made in the USA with the same internals as their good guns. I don’t understand the Dan Wesson following. They ain’t custom. They are expensive for what they are and nobody seems to know where they’re made. I’m not being ignorant about DW. I looked at them. Tried to research them. If they can’t tell you where they are made, I’m skeptical.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaz3 View Post
I only own a Ruger and a RIA, but a TRP would be my next 1911.
Ruger makes great 1911ís. RIA nice for the price. TRP is excellent if the stuff goes down. Itís a great gun.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:13 AM

Springfield TRP.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2020, 05:34 PM

Juancts: Check out the New Springfield Armory "Ronin" Model, if you can find one anywhere in stock . . . it meets all your criteria as initially stated above !!!

Last edited by TejanoViejo; 08-05-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoViejo View Post
Juancts: Check out the New Springfield Armory "Ronin" Model, if you can find one anywhere in stock . . . it meets all your criteria as initially stated above !!!

I got my Springfield Ronin from Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore for $769 + Tax free shipping. Total $789
Old 08-05-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Momo View Post
Is that made over seas?
Oh Hell no made in Texas by Texans!! But I don't think they produce them any more.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:28 PM

First Production 1911 Under $1,500

My first production 1911 under $1,500 was a Springfield Armory TRP in Stainless Steel. I am very happy with the purchase and value. I have modified it a bit since receiving it, including new VZ graphite stocks, a trigger job back at Springfield Armory, and a gold bead with a new back sight. I probably have just short of $2,000 invested but I got what I wanted. I think a Dan Wesson is probably a better gun, but this was exactly what I had in mind for my first 1911 and I am very happy with the choice. This is the gun I take with me when traveling.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:35 PM

My first 1911 was a SA Range Officer. Very happy. Then I ventured into the Ruger SR1911. The SR aims real well when it feeds. I was not at all pleased. Sent it back to Ruger once and they said nothing was wrong, even though they polished the barrel a bit. My SA will do everything the Ruger won't and then some.