The best production 1911s - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-26-2020, 02:14 PM

This...bull barrel Valor 9mm. Can not detect a difference in accuracy to my 5'' DWs and tried every way. Fit of parts and controls are perfect+. And the guns run...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3910.jpg  
Old 07-26-2020, 02:38 PM

After you get one and shoot it, you can thank me later:

https://danwessonfirearms.com/produc...an-45-pm-45-2/

Old 07-26-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
The only negative Iíll throw out on the DanWesson is that their warranty is only 1 year and only for the original purchaser. Most of their competitors have a lifetime warranty & most will honor it even if youíre not the oe owner. Past that DW makes a very fine piece that youíll probably not regret buying.

Another I would add to the ďlistĒ is the Springfield TRP, very nice gun that can be had within your budget. I donít have one but have been eyeballing them for some time now
Dan Wessonís have a five year warranty.

The TRP would probably be my second choice
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2020, 06:20 PM

The TRP is an excellent production pistol as well!
Old 07-26-2020, 06:52 PM

I'll stick with suggesting Colt 1911s or Government Models which have never failed to be well mannered and pleasing for me, whether they be less than one year old or over 100 years old.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim View Post
Dan Wesson’s have a five year warranty.

The TRP would probably be my second choice
Agree 1911%
Old 07-27-2020, 01:55 AM

Yes I know I will catch heck from the experts who never shot either of these makes, but the Shooter's Arms 1911s Century imported (think they have new importer now, it's 1:30 AM, I'm tired) from the Phillipines has the BEST trigger pull of any 1911 I've seen, and Ed Brown is just down the road from me in case you were wondering. Worked right out of the box (unlike Kimber that needed trigger job, total rebuild to work, at twice the money to buy). LOVE IT!

The Taurus 1911 SS is another WOW pistol too. GREAT trigger pull, hasn't jammed yet. I hear all the guff about Taurus, blah, blah, blah, yes I've owned a dozen or so Colts, shot SA 1911s (also just down road), but this one beat the snot out them too. Sure Taurus may have been a "lower end" gun at one time, but look at S&W under the Brit toilet maker, TRASH! Colt in the last 40 years, not exactly great, and a bum load of other 1911 makers that went belly up.

What was the 1911 maker that Jerry Ahern bought, (Detonics) those were JUNK! The head gunsmith admitted in print that half of them were returned as "not working" and 1/3 of all guns were scraped rather than repaired and new gun resealized to match old gun. Never saw one that worked where I could actually see it of course! Detonics were scum to deal with too!

Until you have shot the new Taurus guns, don't tell me they are junk!

Last edited by Jennifers; 07-27-2020 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:17 AM

For $1,500 I done this in the past, I go with a new Springfield armory 1911a1 and a new auto ordnance us army. Get two bangs for the cost of one. Or go with a new colt government.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 07-27-2020, 06:24 AM

CNC machining has made it possible for just about anyone to produce a good 1911. Some hand fitting will make them a little better. Now my radical opinion that a lot of people wont agree with. There is absolutely no reason to spend more than 1500 on a 1911 unless it is a collector or a status thing. I have several Kimbers and a D.W. PM9 fitted with a 38 super barrel by Bar-Sto. When my PM9 was bone stock it was dead even with my Kimber Gold Match. The point being that these pistols shoot as well in my hand as anything you can buy. The best deal I would have to say is the Kimbers. I have a stock Custom II that shoots damn near as well as the Gold Match.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring1911 View Post
After you get one and shoot it, you can thank me later:

https://danwessonfirearms.com/produc...an-45-pm-45-2/

This.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:52 PM

Like almost everyone has said, Dan Wesson is easily at the head of the class when it comes to production 1911s. The combination of fit and parts quality is unmatched in that bracket.

The Springfield TRP is also a very nice value. Make sure you hold one before you buy it, if you don’t already know that you like 20 lpi checkering. Some people find it too aggressive.

As simonp67 noted, though, certain used Les Baers in excellent condition are also within your budget, assuming you’re willing to buy something that isn’t factory new. With a little patience, you could find a Baer for $1500 or less on Gunbroker.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:35 PM

Starting at over $1,600, I don't see how the TRP is a good value for what it is, but this is just looking at its features. The Colt Combat Elite doesn't have a magwell, but it does have everything else, plus a recessed trigger guard which you just can't add on, for $1,350. I wasn't going to say anything because I know it's popular, but it's one of the 1911s I don't see the price match its value.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:45 PM

Dan Wesson
Second I believe the Ruger offers excellent value in 1911!
Old 07-27-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifers View Post
Yes I know I will catch heck from the experts who never shot either of these makes, but the Shooter's Arms 1911s Century imported (think they have new importer now, it's 1:30 AM, I'm tired) from the Phillipines has the BEST trigger pull of any 1911 I've seen, and Ed Brown is just down the road from me in case you were wondering. Worked right out of the box (unlike Kimber that needed trigger job, total rebuild to work, at twice the money to buy). LOVE IT!

The Taurus 1911 SS is another WOW pistol too. GREAT trigger pull, hasn't jammed yet. I hear all the guff about Taurus, blah, blah, blah, yes I've owned a dozen or so Colts, shot SA 1911s (also just down road), but this one beat the snot out them too. Sure Taurus may have been a "lower end" gun at one time, but look at S&W under the Brit toilet maker, TRASH! Colt in the last 40 years, not exactly great, and a bum load of other 1911 makers that went belly up.

What was the 1911 maker that Jerry Ahern bought, (Detonics) those were JUNK! The head gunsmith admitted in print that half of them were returned as "not working" and 1/3 of all guns were scraped rather than repaired and new gun resealized to match old gun. Never saw one that worked where I could actually see it of course! Detonics were scum to deal with too!

Until you have shot the new Taurus guns, don't tell me they are junk!
Well, nobody mentioned Shooter's Arms, Detonics, or Taurus until you brought it up. I'm glad you've had good lock with Shooter's Arms and Taurus.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
Starting at over $1,600, I don't see how the TRP is a good value for what it is, but this is just looking at its features.
If they’re starting at over $1,600 now, then that’s a result of the current panic — which I assume is affecting other guns in its price bracket as well.

TRPs could be had for under $1,200 all day long on GB a few months ago.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:25 PM

It looks like they're going for $1,365-$1,700 on GB, so it is within his price range. I was looking on their website originally. Some other beautiful 1911s in his price range are the Smith & Wesson Pro and E-Series, I really like the fish scale serrations. I don't usually like an external extractor on a 1911 because it takes away from the original look, but this is an exception.

Last edited by Matt_J; 07-27-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:33 PM

You won't be disappointed with a Dan Wesson if you decide to get one.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:04 PM

I don’t have a beef with DW, I own a Valor. If you go that route, OK. but they do not transfer a warranty - USED? not on a first 1911 - unless the owner lets you test fire.

I would recommend the Colt Combat Elite, or if you like the options on a Wiley Clapp then they are great too. I would also take a strong look at the Kimber CustomII TLE. These are all three great 1911 pistols with good warrenty and customer service.

I think your smart to start with a .45ACP, also I would go with a 5” model. It really handles the best. After that, find the options you want. It is always cheaper to get what you want from the factory. Colt and Kimber $$$ will let you buy some magazines (47D Wilson - proven) and a nice holster. +++ Your wife will not kill you, stay in your budget, don’t be pistol rich and ammo poor. There was a time when I would buy pistols without holsters... now I know to budget holsters and magazines with the cost of the pistol, makes much more sense. I always shoot from a holster.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
It looks like they're going for $1,365-$1,700 on GB, so it is within his price range. I was looking on their website originally. Some other beautiful 1911s in his price range are the Smith & Wesson Pro and E-Series, I really like the fish scale serrations. I don't usually like an external extractor on a 1911 because it takes away from the original look, but this is an exception.
Yeah, I wouldn’t recommend them in that price range. I imagine DWs have all jumped up as well.

I’ve seen several used Baers in excellent condition sell for $1,500 or just a bit over recently, though, both on GB and other forums. I guess the panic buyers are mostly focused on new-production stuff.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:46 PM

^^^ I understand the theory of hard fit but I don't want one and I sure wouldn't advise a new 1911 shooter to get one.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
^^^ I understand the theory of hard fit but I don't want one and I sure wouldn't advise a new 1911 shooter to get one.
Not counting an unfired pre-Series 70 GCNM that I bought to keep that way, a Baer PII was my second 1911, and I’d rather it have been my first.

In any case, I see no indication from what the OP has written that he’s new to 1911s.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
I'll stick with suggesting Colt 1911s or Government Models which have never failed to be well mannered and pleasing for me, whether they be less than one year old or over 100 years old.
This!
It's what I'd do!
Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 PM

I have a Dan Wesson pointman .45 and it is fine but do not pass on the S&W 1911 Custom. I have a Les Baer and a Wilson Combat but the Smith will outshoot them all in my hands. Just change the ugly blue grips.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:05 AM

Didnít think anything would come close to my Les Baer, until i picked up a custom built with Foster Frame and Slide and all the right parts for $750. I doubt iíll ever pick up anything from the typical brands ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
Market Settle Down?

I think it would be reasonable to ask if anybody really thinks that's going to happen any time soon.
Not this year, certainly.
Probably not the next several.

It you want it, shop around and find it.
Get it now.
While you can.
My thoughts as well. The upcoming election, rioting, etc., has kept sales high and supplies low. If you get your gun for a decent price, it may be as cheap as ever.

I'm not averse to the likes of Colt, Springfield and Kimber, but I tend to work on them and replace innards with high quality parts. ...Which is another option for the OP. If the OP isn't of the knowledge and skills for modifications, incremental modifications by a good 1911 smith can be rewarding, I hear. I'm leaning toward finding a decent old Colt for a resto-mod.