Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-17-2020, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Youíre gonna be called out for cheatiní
No one said you had to peck primers to enter the contest!
Oh yeah. That's a blatant rules violation. The only thing worse is having your kids feed bullets and cases while the wife indexes the shell carrier.

Yep...gotta throw a flag on that...😁
Old 07-18-2020, 06:14 AM

I have a single stage press, Rock Chuker, I like it and I enjoy loading on it. Have for a lot of years. I might get a progressive or a turret one of these days, don't have anything against them, money isn't a problem. See, I'm hesitant to say how much ammo I have loaded now, hard to justify a new press when you've got that much ammo ready to go. I suppose I enjoy loading about as much as shooting. I have some very nice 22 handguns that I love to shoot, can't handload for those, same can be said for 22 rifles.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Oh yeah. That's a blatant rules violation. The only thing worse is having your kids feed bullets and cases while the wife indexes the shell carrier.

Yep...gotta throw a flag on that...😁
Shhhhh, you keep up talk like that and Mr. Morris will get on here with one of his hopped up 550ís that can crank 1000 rounds per hour. I think he has a belt fed primer system and pneumatic lever actuator powered by a small amount of cake uranium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
There are people who think that if you don't learn the way they did and go through the "agony" that they went through, you can't possibly learn the real "basics" of the subject.
For those who apparently did not read the earlier messages, it is not only about learning the basics, it is about SAFETY while the person is taking baby steps. Learn to walk before you try running.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 07-18-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I've seen this in reloading, shooting, skeet, diving, driving and construction.

There are people who think that if you don't learn the way they did and go through the "agony" that they went through, you can't possibly learn the real "basics" of the subject.

They're wrong. Across the board.
Well, thereís a reason that proper teaching is done in slow methodical increments. The odds of retaining the information is far greater. You donít just climb into a plane and figure out how to fly it. Yeah, I know, reloading isnít flying a plane, but the baseline theory still applies. Smarty pants shortcutters are liable to ruin weaponry, or worse.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I've seen this in reloading, shooting, skeet, diving, driving and construction.

They're wrong. Across the board.
Not to jump on the bandwagon but with diving you need to start slow and learn thru experience. I have seen to many people get their c card then jump into an advanced open water course thinking they were now certified and could handle a 100ft drift dive. Training is great but experience is better.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:37 AM

Honest questions

I realize that the 550 is sort of a hybrid since it's a manual index but what's so different about running singles in it, vs a single stage? Or even batching on a single station?

I learned on a 550, and later bought SS but have not had a single "Ah-Ha! moment" of finding something I missed by starting on the 550.

So other than "it's safer" or "people should walk first" what is/are some actual pitfalls or things they will miss by skipping a SS press?
Old 07-18-2020, 09:37 AM

My FLG has taught several people to load on a 550; starting with one case on the shell plate at a time, kind of turret mode. That way they can learn what each step does in the loading and what each stroke of the handle does on the press.

So if you have an instructor or just the motivation to read the instructions and understand what is going on, no reason not to.

There are still uses for a single stage. I size and decap a few cases to have on hand for when an odd caliber sneaks in and I can replace a .380 without skipping a slot.
When loading 115 gr 9mm or 185 gr .45s, I will size brass in a U die on the single stage for greater bullet tension; U die on the progressive runs the handle effort up.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:48 AM

I agree that a SS has great utility- so much so that I have several of them. (one dedicated to rifle, one dedicated to decap and one for general utility and one off operations) But they were purchased much later, when I had extra money to buy for convenience. I made out fine (albeit with a little extra set up time for oddball stuff) with a 550 for a good while.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
My FLG has taught several people to load on a 550; starting with one case on the shell plate at a time, kind of turret mode. That way they can learn what each step does in the loading and what each stroke of the handle does on the press.

So if you have an instructor or just the motivation to read the instructions and understand what is going on, no reason not to.

There are still uses for a single stage. I size and decap a few cases to have on hand for when an odd caliber sneaks in and I can replace a .380 without skipping a slot.
When loading 115 gr 9mm or 185 gr .45s, I will size brass in a U die on the single stage for greater bullet tension; U die on the progressive runs the handle effort up.
What is an FLG?

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 07-18-2020, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Perdido View Post
What is an FLG?
Full length guide rod.

(Not at all what Jim meant, but heíll explain)

NRA Life Member
Old 07-18-2020, 12:43 PM

To be totally honest here, even though I have loaded literally 1,000's of rounds of different types of pistol ammo on my RCBS Pro 2000, my butthole still puckers when I go to shoot it (even being hawkish watching the powder cop die). .

Not so with any ammo loaded (and powder level carefully checked) RockChucker.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Perdido View Post
What is an FLG?
Friendly Local Gunsmith

The internet is so initialism and acronym crazy, I figured I was entitled to my own.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
To be totally honest here, even though I have loaded literally 1,000's of rounds of different types of pistol ammo on my RCBS Pro 2000, my butthole still puckers when I go to shoot it (even being hawkish watching the powder cop die). .

Why? Do you not visually verify powder before placing the bullet on top?

One of the beauties of a 550 is that you have a good view of the powder as you lower the shell plate from the powder drop and again as you set a bullet. You get 2 visual checks without having to rely on a mechanical check die.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
Why? Do you not visually verify powder before placing the bullet on top?
There's probably a way to do it with a mirror & penlight or such, but the powder charging station on the RCBS Pro 2000 is at the back of the press and my reloading bench is quite high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
One of the beauties of a 550 is that you have a good view of the powder as you lower the shell plate from the powder drop and again as you set a bullet. You get 2 visual checks without having to rely on a mechanical check die.
Thank G_d the powder cop hasn't been wrong yet.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
There's probably a way to do it with a mirror & penlight or such,
I've seen the mirror set ups advertised here and there
Old 07-18-2020, 11:31 PM

On the Lee Classic Turret Press the active station is right up front.
All it needs is some light to see in the case.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:40 AM

For those thinking of reloading.....

If a person enjoys shooting, I would seriously consider a reloading press, and my recommendation is the Dillon 550. It is a very useful and versatile press, since you can purchase more interchangeable tool heads with dies for many calibers including rifle calibers. I load my .223 ammo for my AR rifles on my D550....

Ammo prices are at a premium, and even 9mm ammo has jumped dramatically since the pandemic....and may go even higher.

Reloading your own ammo has many benefits:

1) Much less expensive for most calibers since you provide the labor.

2) Purchasing once fired brass cases cuts down on the cost of making ammo... OR better yet, start saving and picking up 9mm brass at a
gun range if allowed.....

3) A reloader is able to find the most accurate load for their firearms

4) Stocking up on all reloading components will avoid the increased costs of
ammo in times of crisis....like now with Covid-19....

I shoot more 9mm ammo than all other cartridges. For practice ammo, I may reload using 125 gr. moly coated lead bullets. I get very decent accuracy, and the cost of each bullet is roughly 7.5 cents not including shipping.... However, for handgun matches, I like and use JHP bullets, since they usually offer better accuracy..... I have a good supply of primers and bullets on hand, which I purchased before the pandemic, and my current cost of 9mm is roughly $7.00 per box of 50. I get al great deal of Free once fired 9mm brass at my local gun range, so I have about 3-4K cases on hand..... I like people that are too lazy to pick up their brass!!!

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 07-19-2020 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:

You really need to go to the range with some different people! That would suck to keep looking behind yourself!
Old 07-19-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Friendly Local Gunsmith

The internet is so initialism and acronym crazy, I figured I was entitled to my own.
Yes sir, you are.
We need to make a sticky with our own! Unless that would be racist.....
Old 07-19-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
You really need to go to the range with some different people! That would suck to keep looking behind yourself!
I need a house like Barbara Mandrell (big log cabin looking thing) with a private shooting range in it.

Especially since I detest losing my Starline brass handloads in the leaves & sand after only one shot at the range I currently go to, and the old duffers with the chunky Cowtown rodeo rings on who want to shoot a few sample rounds with my pristine gat collection.

Yes, I'm selfish. Get lost, willya?
Old 07-20-2020, 04:13 PM

Agree with Kevin Rohrer on the sources. Might also check with members of local gun club.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
These fill primer tubes while I am reloading.

Good luck to you.

What a nice problem to have......I can remember long ago....just prior to COVID19 & the BLM Marxism........primers were plentiful. Seems like eons ago.

Itís like a bad dream.

We need a resounding win in November!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Primers are plentiful now.
I'm pretty sure that depends on where you are located. Equally sure Dub's reloading cabinet and local stores are not swimming in primers!
Old 07-20-2020, 11:08 PM

There were eight flats of CCI SPP at Cabella's the other day.
I almost bought four of them, but decided to leave them for someone else.
Today they were gone, so I feel good about that.

I have plenty for now.