1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okierider View Post
All those fancy machines everyone talks about sound great but I enjoy what I use

and it is paid for and if I tear something up it costs me shipping.
Be honest, are you still riding a horse to town?

Our fancy, new fangled, multi cartridge, rotary loadin' machines are also paid for. Broken parts or the aftermath of tearing something up only cost us a phone call.

In all seriousness- you only have to justify your stuff to yourself (or your wife, depending on the situation) so as long as you are happy, that's what matters.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
Lots of Dillon guys, but we haven't heard from a Lee Loadmaster user?

Anybody?

I’m using a Loadmaster. I struggled briefly with the primer system and switched to Lee’s Auto Drum powder measure but I think I’ve got it figured out now. I’ll know more in a year or so. I’ve loaded probably 10k on it and about 7K since I figured out the fixes for my issues.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

"Best" is pretty subjective, and can be based on many different factors. What is best for a competition shooter is not going to be best for a 200 round a month plinker. If a single-stage press works for a given person and produces the desired number of rounds with enjoyment, then that is "best" for them; conversely, if you need 2k rounds per month for competition, then perhaps a Dillon S1050 is "best" for their requirements.

I cannot even begin to guess how many rounds I loaded on my Rockchucker before getting my first Dillon progressive (a Dillon 450). I stopped counting at 60k rounds JUST IN .44 MAG., let alone the untold thousands for .357, .41, .380, .45 ACP, .308, .45/70, and .300 mag were loaded on it as well - it worked for me when progressives were well beyond my financial means, and provided a lot of experience in experimentation that I would probably have not done on a progressive.

Fast forward to today. I wouldn't trade that learning and experience for anything, but I'm a "gun guy" from way back, and the learning was more valuable than the number of rounds loaded. Today though, I need the volume of rounds (already have the learning and experience), so progressive it is for my "today" needs. Both methods are valid, just depends on the needs and the definition of "best". JMHO.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2020, 09:04 PM

That reads right, Grandpas50AE
Old 07-16-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinIII View Post
I’m using a Loadmaster. I struggled briefly with the primer system and switched to Lee’s Auto Drum powder measure but I think I’ve got it figured out now. I’ll know more in a year or so. I’ve loaded probably 10k on it and about 7K since I figured out the fixes for my issues.
“This has been a paid advertisement from a non-attorney spokesperson”
“Use of this product may cause bleeding, headaches and weak stream”
Sorry.....had to.....hope another year or so and you’ll get it figured out.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:37 AM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Running 100 rounds in 15 minutes is not 400rds per hour. Why not asks the group?

Because of fatigue. Because of errors and mistakes. Because you can't keep up that pace for an hour and make 100% good product. Think not?? Sit down for an hour and crank away. After 60 minutes......see what you've got in terms of good rounds.

400 an hour on a 550? Not on your Granny's grave.
Come on over. Crack a beer and watch while I do more than 400 rounds an hour of good ammo. For me a slow pace is 350-360 rounds an hour on a 550.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
This is apples and oranges. Going slow w/ a single-stage press IS the safest way to learn reloading.
Going slow with a single shot is the safest way to learn shooting.

You can go slow with a progressive. You can run one round at a time on a progressive. Can you run multiple rounds at a time on a single stage?

It's nonsense. One can learn reloading on a progressive just as well as a single stage.

I'll meet you at Old North Bridge....where ever it might be. Every Patriot should have 100 yards of good strong rope on hand!

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
Be honest, are you still riding a horse to town?

Our fancy, new fangled, multi cartridge, rotary loadin' machines are also paid for. Broken parts or the aftermath of tearing something up only cost us a phone call.

In all seriousness- you only have to justify your stuff to yourself (or your wife, depending on the situation) so as long as you are happy, that's what matters.
Well said.
Not picking on anyone in particular but I tend to see more shaming then I like at times. Not everyone can afford big blue and a wilson to shoot the end product.

My Lee turret works fine for me just as my ruger 1911 works fine for me. Can I afford better? Yes but I am too cheap.

Not everyone here can afford to start with a dillon. Yes I get the buy once cry once but that does not always work. Lee, lyman. rcbs all work fine and will provide years of service.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:20 AM

My first progressive was a CH Autochamp straight line, because I was too cheap to buy a Star which was still being made at the time. Its linear advance got finicky with wear and CH quit supporting it because their insurance company would not cover "manufacturing equipment" (although its primer feed was superior and its powder measure good.)

So I upgraded to a SDB, then another SDB for small and large primers.
Now I have a 550b for 9mm and .38 and a S1050 for .45. I estimated it took me six years to amortize the 1050 but it is a fine machine.

My 550 came from a deceased friend's estate. He wasn't a big pistol shooter, so it wasn't much used at the time, but I have made up for that.
In fact it is now in bits and pieces awaiting a FREE replacement part.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:08 AM

Nowadays, where can you find enough bullets to load 400 rounds in an hour?
Old 07-16-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Well said.
Not picking on anyone in particular but I tend to see more shaming then I like at times. Not everyone can afford big blue and a wilson to shoot the end product.

My Lee turret works fine for me just as my ruger 1911 works fine for me. Can I afford better? Yes but I am too cheap.

Not everyone here can afford to start with a dillon. Yes I get the buy once cry once but that does not always work. Lee, lyman. rcbs all work fine and will provide years of service.
You found what works best for you- that's a win, regardless of the type or color of the press!

The only crying I had was the wait... I carefully considered my ammo needs/wants, plus family time (or time away, spent loading) and put off buying for almost a year so that I could save up & afford to set up a 550 with all the goodies I wanted vs shoe stringing it. If I wanted to load 300-500/week on a single stage or turret, I would have to get divorced!
Old 07-16-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
If you are shopping for projectiles to load now, you will pay a premium. They are still available (and shipping may be slow) although you may have to buy another brand or style than you prefer. Most of us buy in bulk and keep a buffer of components so that when lean times are here, we don't have to curtail loading or shooting.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
Under my bench. I've got around 10K or so of 9mm bullets and around 6k of 45 bullets right now.

I can cast 1000 9mm bullets in a couple of hours with my eight cavity mold.

45 is a bit slower since I'm working with 4 cavity molds.

Anyone who's been reloading for more than a few years has already lived through one shortage. If you didn't learn from that then there's not a lot of help for ya.

I'll meet you at Old North Bridge....where ever it might be. Every Patriot should have 100 yards of good strong rope on hand!

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenGrunt View Post
Under my bench. I've got around 10K or so of 9mm bullets and around 6k of 45 bullets right now.

I can cast 1000 9mm bullets in a couple of hours with my eight cavity mold.

45 is a bit slower since I'm working with 4 cavity molds.

Anyone who's been reloading for more than a few years has already lived through one shortage. If you didn't learn from that then there's not a lot of help for ya.
I'll add here that casting is the way to go but for those in my age group(well over 65), I can't handle the 6 cavity iron mold for .38 wadcutters. Four cavity is my limit. Aluminum might be an option but since I don't need the volume, I stick with the 4 cavities.

I'm finally using up a supply of .45 hardball 230 grain that I bought about 20 years ago. The only reason is that a new 1911 recommended hardball for break in. After those are gone, it's back to the 200 grain SWC. Probably will try powder coat then.

I won't downplay lead availability. It is hard to find nowadays. Good thing I accumulated a couple of tons years ago. But even buying commercial is cheaper than purchased bullets. Casting is a lot more satisfying too.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
I won't downplay lead availability. It is hard to find nowadays. Good thing I accumulated a couple of tons years ago. But even buying commercial is cheaper than purchased bullets.
That’s been the hang up for me... enough lead at rotometals for ~2k .45 auto is about $178. Local places don’t seem any cheaper.

Meanwhile, finished (and coated) bullets would be $20-30 more. It just doesn’t seem to meet the “bang for my buck” unless I can find a much cheaper lead source. I read about being creative in finding lead, but that all adds up to even more time and effort. (I never consider my own time & labor “free”; it’s time I could be spending with my son...)
Old 07-16-2020, 07:05 PM

I went to a new place today to get my vehicle inspection done. I asked about used wheelweights.

I bought seven 5 gallon buckets for $120. Right around 150-170 lbs per bucket. Even if only half of it is usable I paid less than $0.50 per pound. I normally get around 2/3 or so usable lead from the buckets around here.

I've got around 700 lbs of linotype sitting in the shop. I really need to hit the scrap yard and pick up some pure.

As far as molds....MP Molds. He makes eight cavity aluminum molds that are very light. I just received two 4 cavity Saeco molds today. A 62 and a 65. That brings me to over 30 45 ACP molds!

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah Zero View Post
That’s been the hang up for me... enough lead at rotometals for ~2k .45 auto is about $178. Local places don’t seem any cheaper.

Meanwhile, finished (and coated) bullets would be $20-30 more. It just doesn’t seem to meet the “bang for my buck” unless I can find a much cheaper lead source. I read about being creative in finding lead, but that all adds up to even more time and effort. (I never consider my own time & labor “free”; it’s time I could be spending with my son...)
Rotometals?

Join the Cast Boolits forum and buy lead there for about half the price.

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
It may be the safest, but it isn't the best.
Thank you for agreeing w/ me that a single-stage press is the best option for a beginner. Taking into account the many "I am scared to reload as I obviously know nothing about it but want to do it anyway" comments and questions on reloading sites, safety should be paramount for a beginner.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 07-16-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Perdido View Post
That should tell you something right there...
^^This^^

Buy junk, get junk.

Or, suck-it-up and buy from the First Team of progressive reloading and get something that will outlast you.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 07-16-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenGrunt View Post
Rotometals?

Join the Cast Boolits forum and buy lead there for about half the price.

I’ll have to give that a go...
Old 07-16-2020, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
Come on over. Crack a beer and watch while I do more than 400 rounds an hour of good ammo. For me a slow pace is 350-360 rounds an hour on a 550.
Yep.......I would have to see it to believe it. I do maybe 350 an hour on mine. 400??
Maybe with 4 primer tubes PRE filled....
BUUUUUTTTTTT.....if that's the way it's being achieved....then I call BS.....cause you gotta include time to flip primers and fill primer tubes. I was a production guy for 32 yrs. Parts prep is production time. It ain't free and has a cost associated with it. SOOOOO.......

Again......I'd have to see it to believe it.

But hey... ..I ain't Superman..... maybe I'm just slow.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:51 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Yep.......I would have to see it to believe it. I do maybe 350 an hour on mine. 400??
Maybe with 4 primer tubes PRE filled....
BUUUUUTTTTTT.....if that's the way it's being achieved....then I call BS.....cause you gotta include time to flip primers and fill primer tubes. I was a production guy for 32 yrs. Parts prep is production time. It ain't free and has a cost associated with it. SOOOOO.......

Again......I'd have to see it to believe it.

But hey... ..I ain't Superman..... maybe I'm just slow.
These fill primer tubes while I am reloading.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:57 AM

You’re gonna be called out for cheatin’
No one said you had to peck primers to enter the contest!
Old 07-17-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Thank you for agreeing w/ me that a single-stage press is the best option for a beginner. Taking into account the many "I am scared to reload as I obviously know nothing about it but want to do it anyway" comments and questions on reloading sites, safety should be paramount for a beginner.
Precisely the point! Many, many are hesitant enough the way it is.
You shove them in front of a new 750 and they’ll soil themselves.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
^^This^^

Buy junk, get junk.

Or, suck-it-up and buy from the First Team of progressive reloading and get something that will outlast you.

You might get yelled at from the potmetal glitterati!