Do you personally know anyone with C19? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-24-2020, 02:30 PM
1911 Aficionado

I discovered my first acquaintance who'd recovered from it, earlier this week.
Prior to that, it had been a "I know someone, who knew someone" deal.
This guy was celebrating his 70th birthday when I talked to him.
He's a member of a ukulele club, which I'd seen/heard perform before; fourteen members had been infected, and two had died.
I suspect every one of them fit, in some way, into the "high risk" segment of society, due to age, preexisting conditions, etc.

I spoke to my strapping, 30ish nephew yesterday, who'd been laid-up for five days, in February, and he now suspects he'd had it.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Not yet... but none of my people have been tested. So?

My Mom is in a retirement community - they are on serious lockdown. We got a letter from the facility last week that says they had a COVID case in the same area she is in, but they can’t / won’t share specific details. So I pray she doesn’t catch it. We believe the staff is doing a great job. She appreciates their efforts and says they have been great.
My prayers and best wishes to you and your mother that all will be well.

I took an elderly close relative out of an assisted living facility last November. Not aware of coronavirus at the time; reason was more so that the relative could have one more Christmas and springtime at her own home and surrounding gardens. (Her physician was not happy with my decision, and said so more than once afterwards...funny that the physician has not made any further negative remarks after February... I wonder why).

But during many preceding months, I got to know many residents at the AL/Nursing facility, and when you get to know a little of a person (those who were mentally intact), all of a sudden, they become much more than "just an elderly statistic., perhaps especially those who served our Country in WWII or Korea (one in Vietnam).

Residents in these facilities can practice 100% perfect shelter in place, but yet their survival likely depends on others (vendors, delivery personnel, obviously staff, etc) to practice safety. IOW, the occasionally seen (and well-intended) suggestion that those at risk should shelter in place -- while others do not -- has some rather obvious limitations.

---

On the thread's main subject, I'm beginning to believe that the number of persons having and/or recovered from coronavirus is far greater than the number of "confirmed cases". Maybe 1,000+% greater, which if so, augers very favorably for survival percentages, but not so good for transmission/spread of the virus.

In separate thread, we've already discussed underreporting of the virus by China , etc. But I'm beginning to suspect that underreporting just might be worldwide, including in U.S. (albeit the details/reasons-- if I'm right as to underreporting-- likely differ by country).

So while I don't know anyone confirmed/hospitalized (or worse), I may very likely know people who don't know they've actually had the virus.

An unknown "x-factor".

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 04-24-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:18 PM

WuFlu victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblur View Post
Do you personally know anyone with C19? First hand, a real person you know and they know you.

Thank you for playing along with my very unscientific experiment here.
Yes, a lady I've known for some time; and saw her every week until a health issue early this year. Known her since she was in her mid-late 70s; almost 20yrs now. Health troubles - not surprising in 2020, for the widow of a WWII veteran. She had to move into assisted living following a serious trauma. But she was surprising people with steady improvement. She tested positive for the virus; heard this week that she's doing well; no word on WuFlu symptoms, so likely little or none.

In a *very* wide acquaintance, that's the only person that I see recently and regularly who has been diagnosed.

HtH

Last edited by tgt_usa; 04-26-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2020, 04:28 PM

Yes.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:29 PM

'19 flu season

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
I do not know anyone who has been diagnosed with it.

My wife and I have immediate family in South Florida, Alaska, Illinois, Colorado, Connecticut and France. Were in contact weekly and none of them have/had it that they know of either.

No implications of it not being real. My wife and I had a mild cold/flu in January. We may have had it. I believe MOST non medical profession people will never know if they get/had or have C19. Only those who get tested will know. And that is a pretty small number still.
Recently I've seen analysis stating that the Fall-early Winter of '19 had a spike of strange illness written off as atypical flu symptoms: *may* have been WuFlu. Friends on the E. & W. coast told me about it at the time; one from 1st-hand experience. In the 1st-hand case, a long-time smoker: it included persistent cough and involvement of the lungs, though short of pneumonia. We'll probably never know.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:46 PM

We know a guy in Carol Stream IL that died 2 days ago. He's the only one we know personally.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:49 PM

I know no one personally who has had it or has it.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:26 PM

My friend Steve died of COVID 19 two weeks ago yesterday. He was 54, no health issues, but worked as an ICU nurse. All he'd done for the month preceding his death was work with COVID 19 patients, presumably that's where he was exposed. I've had four patients of mine die of COVID 19 in the last three weeks, all had cardiac comorbidities (that's why I'm working with them).
Old 04-26-2020, 06:50 PM

Unfortunately I know 2.

One of them passed away Friday.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:21 PM

One dead & one recovered.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks007 View Post
My friend Steve died of COVID 19 two weeks ago yesterday. He was 54, no health issues, but worked as an ICU nurse. All he'd done for the month preceding his death was work with COVID 19 patients, presumably that's where he was exposed. I've had four patients of mine die of COVID 19 in the last three weeks, all had cardiac comorbidities (that's why I'm working with them).
I am sorry to hear about your friend Steve. He certainly was a hero. As you are also, thank you for your sacrifice!
Old 04-26-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo3 View Post
I am sorry to hear about your friend Steve. He certainly was a hero. As you are also, thank you for your sacrifice!
yep+
Old 04-26-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
My prayers and best wishes to you and your mother that all will be well.

I took an elderly close relative out of an assisted living facility last November. Not aware of coronavirus at the time; reason was more so that the relative could have one more Christmas and springtime at her own home and surrounding gardens. (Her physician was not happy with my decision, and said so more than once afterwards...funny that the physician has not made any further negative remarks after February... I wonder why).
Thanks, Yea my mom is still doing well. She is actually in good spirits.

I think it is so cool that you took your relative out to be at home. Honor her wishes. Kindness.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:04 PM

My Aunt is recovering in Pennsilvania, she is on oxygen no ventilator. She also lost her sense of smell and taste. Not sure how it will turn out.

I have lost three members of my lodge older guys, good guys. I'm in Mass. nursing homes are getting pounded and the local Soldiers Home is a tragedy over 70 dead.

My wife works at a hospital she used to work 8 hour days lately 14 hours a day. She is a MT testing for Covid-19.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:53 PM

Yup. A fellow firefighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2020, 08:40 AM

Yes, I know someone that had it. No fever, but sore throat and nasty cough, tested positive for the active virus. Was treated with hydroxychloriquine (sp?) and azithromycin before President Trump made it unpopular (simply by indicating it was an off-label hopeful with some documented success). It literally worked overnight.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:21 AM

I spent Thanksgiving with dear friends in NE Pennsylvania. They are younger. (He shoots a Glock but loves the 1911). His father was there. Nice man. Met him many times. Now dead with Covid. His wife survived it. But it was ugly.

Best friend from high school had a mom in FL. She died of it. I knew her well.

American science should knock this dead in it’s tracks.

I had 3 relatives die of the 1917-1918 flu. All three died in a day. I remember the Hong Kong flu of 1968. Sick as a dog. 8 days. I know I had it because in immunology class we had to test our own blood for antibodies. I had Hong Kong flu and the 1957 flu.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks007 View Post
Im sorry to hear this. Are you in Fairbanks AK?
Old 04-27-2020, 02:10 PM

An acquaintance was hospitalized in the wee hours of the morning yesterday with some sort of severe respiratory disorder.
No test results yet, so we don't know if it was his COPD taking a turn for the worse or if it was C19 made worse by COPD as the "underlying disorder."

ETA: He tested negative, so it is apparently just a bad time with COPD. He has been on oxygen nearly all the time for a good while.

Last edited by Jim Watson; 04-28-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:10 PM

Just got word from my general contractor. He has three of his crew out with C19. One hospitalized & two at home.

He says these 3 dudes usually work together as a team. He often sends them to jobs without going himself, then pays them online.

So fortunately he hasn't had much recent contact himself.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:21 AM

Anyone with a CONFIRMED case? Nope.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 04-28-2020, 10:51 AM

???
Old 04-28-2020, 10:53 AM

?? What do you mean by confirmed?
Old 04-28-2020, 11:27 AM

Yes. 2. Both alive.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:47 PM

parallax------------------ Do you expect people here to furnish you with the personal medical records, or the Death Certificates of their friends & relatives?

Dude, NO WAY is anyone going to post their own, or anyone else's private documents.

However, previously on 4/17 in the thread titled "Presumed Guilty / Infected" I mentioned the passing of our friends uncle. A French doctor that I've interacted with with at family events Dr. Souvanlasy. My wife is Laotian, BTW.

I mention Kabkeo here because as a fairly well-known doctor, with an unusual name, his passing from Covid 19 should be easily found online. Maybe you will consider that as "proof"

But that said, I find this line of questioning rather distasteful.