1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-12-2020, 02:34 PM
Banned

Expensive BioMetric Gun safe

I see this at my local Gun Shop and it is priced at $599 and $569 at Lowes. I am thinking of using Lowes as their return policy is better, even though I get 10% discount from my gun shop for being a range member.

Does anyone have experience with this safe? Does biometric work well?

I would love to hear some feedback about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Safe.png  
Old 08-12-2020, 07:05 PM

No experience with that, so my opinion below is based on perspective and experience with other biometric devices.

And that opinion is that I wouldn't trust my life to any such device. Not a chance. Not even close.

I've seen too many "not recognized, try again" messages from biometric devices. Even with high-end devices such as the U.S. Global Entry system and the UK's old (discontinued) IRIS recognition system. With critical SD, there isn't time to deal with a "try again" message.

Now, if not relying on the safe for critical SD purposes, I'd say it might be well worth a try.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 08-12-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:44 AM

I have a cheaper version of the Valutek for the car but without the biometric feature; just push button so I can't comment on their biometric version. I do however have two Verifi Smart safes with biometric features. I bought the smaller S5000 initially three years ago. Quickly out grew the capacity on that one and bought the bigger S6000 about 1-1/2 years ago. Both have been flawless. Not one problem with reading my finger print, ever. Haven't had a problem with slightly sweaty hands or dry hands in the winter where it wouldn't read my prints. Still have the original batteries in both. The S6000 hold 8 pitsols with a little room in front for odds and ends, loaded mags etc. The smaller S5000 will hold 5-6 guns.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2020, 09:24 AM

Seems like a great idea with plenty of consumer bells & whistles like BT/WiFi, but the core biometric function ain't quite there yet. Someday.
3+ seconds to open?! Just use the keypad.

I really wanted to get a biometric for the car last year, but reliable and simple is best for this job. Boring is best.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:01 AM

I would not trust one for something critical.

Those things break down all the time. Especially in a dusty environment or one that is prone to large changes in temperature, and or humidity.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Those things break down all the time. Especially in a dusty environment or one that is prone to large changes in temperature, and or humidity.
I agree. I am thinking of buying one without the BIO, and just get the one with Blue Tooth, and use the keypad, and install a separate BIO finger reader you can tether with the safe. Vaultek sells it. You can put this device next to your bed or carry it on your key chain.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:44 AM
Banned

https://vaulteksafe.com/products/vau...tek-vt-series/

Here is what I decided to get. The VT model without Bio. It comes with a key fob that can be used as panic button to immediately open the safe without any key press.

They also have a biometric add-on FOB for additonal cost:

https://vaulteksafe.com/accessories/...key-biometric/

The only thing I worry about is the lithium battery that needs to be charged every 3 months.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:01 AM

Biometric safes are for pussies.

Just keep the gun under your pillow...like James Bond!!
Old 08-14-2020, 06:02 AM

Is this safe for house or car? Is it for a bedside gun?
Just seems like a lot of $$ for 1 gun safe.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
No experience with that, so my opinion below is based on perspective and experience with other biometric devices.

And that opinion is that I wouldn't trust my life to any such device. Not a chance. Not even close.

I've seen too many "not recognized, try again" messages from biometric devices. Even with high-end devices such as the U.S. Global Entry system and the UK's old (discontinued) IRIS recognition system. With critical SD, there isn't time to deal with a "try again" message.

Now, if not relying on the safe for critical SD purposes, I'd say it might be well worth a try.
I totally agree. I have a biometric safe that gives me issues 25% of the time. Plus when it does work, the time for the safe to open is too long.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Biometric safes are for pussies.

Just keep the gun under your pillow...like James Bond!!
The "ONLY" reason why I would get a Bio device is to keep my kids out of my gun safe. So far they know every password, and 4 - 6 digit codes I use. They cracked every one of my iPhone passwords. So Bio Metric sounded like the best alternative. Once the kids are out of the house and in college, then I wouldn't care.

I take my kids to the range to teach them how to properly handle the firearm and seriousness of Guns. But still, kids will be kids, and no matter how much I teach them, I fear it only takes one bad judgment to have a life-altering impact.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGunz View Post
The "ONLY" reason why I would get a Bio device is to keep my kids out of my gun safe. So far they know every password, and 4 - 6 digit codes I use. They cracked every one of my iPhone passwords. So Bio Metric sounded like the best alternative. Once the kids are out of the house and in college, then I wouldn't care.

I take my kids to the range to teach them how to properly handle the firearm and seriousness of Guns. But still, kids will be kids, and no matter how much I teach them, I fear it only takes one bad judgment to have a life-altering impact.
IMHO, you have a bigger problem that what safe to get. If your kids won't obey your rules about getting into your personal things, there are other issues.

BTW-A biometric safe also has a key for it. How are you going to keep the kids away from the key?
Old 08-15-2020, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogger View Post
IMHO, you have a bigger problem that what safe to get. If your kids won't obey your rules about getting into your personal things, there are other issues.

BTW-A biometric safe also has a key for it. How are you going to keep the kids away from the key?
The key is on me. I just don't want my kids or anyone for that matter to gain access to guns.

I don't think my kids will do anything since they are very good kids and I have taught them how to handle a gun and taken them shooting multiple times. But I just don't want my kids or anyone else to gain access period.

In fact, no one should and will even know I have a gun in the house but me.

There is no need for them to know.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:12 PM

I'd go with a Fas1 with Simplex lock (no batteries) Reasonably priced and made in the USA
http://www.fas1safe.com/
Old 08-19-2020, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
I'd go with a Fas1 with Simplex lock (no batteries) Reasonably priced and made in the USA
http://www.fas1safe.com/
Thank you for this site. I may return the Vaultek and get this company's safe. It looks very sturdy and almost fully childproof.

Also, I am looking for a safe where I can store a few Mags and a box or two of ammo. I am thinking the larger model may do it.

Again, appreciate the information.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:07 PM

I've got the smaller version of this safe and love it. It has both biometric and a combination, so I don't have to worry about the biometric failing (I can just punch in the combination if my hands are wet or something). Mine doesn't have BlueTooth (although, I wish I would have got that option so I'd be alerted if someone tried to gain access instantly) but it does have WiFi. I pretty much only use WiFi to check battery life and program fingerprints.
For the biometric, it opens in less than 1 second, so it's good there.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:43 PM

One other negative about biometrics is physical changes in your fingerprints.

Now my only experience is with iPhones and iPads.

I work in my shop a lot. My hands and fingers get micro tears, dried out, and cut. Prolonged use of harsh chemicals wear the fingerprints down. I wear gloves when possible, but can’t always.

Since these problems have caused continual problems with me and biometrics, I sure ain’t going to trust my life to them.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:58 AM

All I can say about biometrics. Ever tried unlocking your iphone via thumb print with said thumb slightly sweaty or wet? As far as the safe goes I am not a big believer in a safe when it comes to an SD firearm. A quick access mechanical or electro mechanical lockbox like a gunvault, if you have young kids in the house, yes, an absolute must. Heavy duty 10 thousand dollar two ton safe bolted to the concrete floor, for permanent storage to dissuade would be burglars from taking your prized safe queens, ok fine. Full blown safe for an SD weapon basically negates the whole SD weapon idea.