1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-11-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
For sure, I would try to figure out something a little more solid. Maybe a lot more solid.

It has worked fine for years, Tom.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
Attachment 591446

Although a little crowded with the Hornady's (for rifle), at times this bench holds 5 Dillons.

Search for a "state" warehouse that sells surplus equipment such as office equipment. I have seen lots of desks and work benches at ridiculously low prices. Like $35 for a specialized desk perfect for reloading! Something that could be left by the curb in a hasty move!

Smiles,

Man, jj, you got a factory there!
Old 08-12-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
With ammo all gone now, those wise souls who questioned why anybody would
reload 9mm, much less CAST it???, take note....

Ammo is all gone now.

This is the best part......
I can give crap to several guys I know. “Why ya leaving so early”? “Don’t you want your brass”? “Well, at least you save money on targets”!
The fun never ends......but their shooting does!
Old 08-12-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Are you using that for 9?
Yep, and 45 ACP, 10mm, 38 Special/357 Mag.

I'll meet you at Old North Bridge....where ever it might be. Every Patriot should have 100 yards of good strong rope on hand!

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:58 PM

Christmas in August!
It arrived.
I'd like to stay and chat, but - not!

BIG thank you to Titan Reloading.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Christmas in August!
It arrived.
I'd like to stay and chat, but - not!

BIG thank you to Titan Reloading.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 08-12-2020, 04:35 PM

I started reloading in the late 60's!

Quote:
Man, jj, you got a factory there!
It's just the progression! Pun intended!

I started when Herter's was the major player in reloading. That press was large and very heavy and used odd sized shell holders. Then I got an RCBS S/S and then a Rock Chucker S/S ,(Small Primer & Large primer!) Then an early D450 JR small primer and shortly thereafter large primer 450 JR, then a couple of used SDB's and then a 550 for 45ACP. The Harnady's are for large and small primer rifle loads!

It seems excessive but time is valuable and so is consistency. I really hate mechanical changes! Changing calibers, primer set ups, powder dispensers and shell plates up sets consistency. When your POI drifts it sucks chasing the problem when you just changed EVERYTHING!

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 08-12-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
It's just the progression! Pun intended!

I started when Herter's was the major player in reloading. That press was large and very heavy and used odd sized shell holders. Then I got an RCBS S/S and then a Rock Chucker S/S ,(Small Primer & Large primer!) Then an early D450 JR small primer and shortly thereafter large primer 450 JR, then a couple of used SDB's and then a 550 for 45ACP. The Harnady's are for large and small primer rifle loads!

It seems excessive but time is valuable and so is consistency. I really hate mechanical changes! Changing calibers, primer set ups, powder dispensers and shell plates up sets consistency. When your POI drifts it sucks chasing the problem when you just changed EVERYTHING!

Smiles,
Pretty much the same here - I started in 1966 with a Lee handloading kit and the rawhide mallet. Didn't get the RCBS JR. press until 1973 after I got back from overseas. I loaded countless thousands of rounds on that Jr. press, then upgraded to a Rockchucker press in 1977 when I started loading a lot of rifle (the Jr. press wore out and lost the good fit of the brass bushing for the ram). D450 in 1982, and RL550b's in 1992 and 1996. Now load most rifle on the Rockchucker, and my two RL550's are being used by my younger brother while I load 9mm's on the Super 1050. When I get a gun room set up properly again, my Corbin bullet swaging press will get used again, along with a new 550c Dillon to go with my Super 1050, and the rifles calibers (other than 5.56) will be on the Rockchucker. The 5.56 will get loaded on the 550c, like it was on my 550b's.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 08-13-2020, 01:20 PM

Got it mounted and all the parts attached.
Just trying to get everything adjusted now.

The Lee dies do indeed screw deep into the die holder,
but there is still room for the locking collar, so all is good there.

Adjusting the case flare took some time and a few brave cases
were sacrificed to that end. But it seems to be okay now.

The case mouth measures about .015 larger after belling and
the bullet sits steady on the top of the mouth.
I think that will work.

Seating and crimp were straight forward.

I'm to the point of setting the powder charge but I have to put
it down for a while now and take care of real life.
Will get back to it this evening.

I'm eventually going to have to modify the primer safety sensor.
That high pitched squeak is right in the middle of my hearing loss.
I can ALMOST hear if I'm paying careful attention - and there isn't
any other noise.

Piezio squeeker at 1.5 volts will be a challenge.
You can't run an LED on 1-1/2 volts.

But a two-cell AA pack will fit on the back of the sensor.
Add a big red high-intensity LED and we're in business.

on 1-1/2 volts.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:49 PM

All the hours flying a screeching Garrett turboprop (Imagine seven hours of Chlamydia Harris shrieking at a political opponent) and I have no issue hearing the Dillon whiner (well, it is too high pitched to be a buzzer)! What in the world did you listen to, Skill Saws? Doesn't matter, seems like you have a work-around for it...

Congratulations-sorry you jumped in in the middle of a shortage...

when components start to become available again resist the temptation to buy 8 pounds of any powder you think you might like. You gotta shoot a lot of pistol rounds to make an 8 pounder worth while, especially if you don't have a favorite yet. Even at about 20grains/round of a magnum revolver cartridge (not the S&W X-frame rounds, I don't know what rifle powders they use!) that's 2800 rounds of Magnum ammo give or take and about four to five times that for .45 ACP!

Maybe a year or two worth of powder for a competitor, more likely 5-10 years or more worth for a more average shooter...

another tip-powder is worthless without primers and bullets so figure out how many of each you need for every powder charge, combine orders for several calibers and minimize your hazmat fees!

If you have a rifle in either .308 or .30-06 to reload for you will have a built in minimum order-even if you don't have dies yet...for every pound (7000 grains) of IMR-4898 you need about 140 bullets of decent quality for the intended purpose (paper or game and weighing between 150 and 168gr) and about 140 primers (okay, at least so far there is no hazmat charge for bullets) but you see what I'm doing. IMR-4895 is a known performer in the two .30 US military cartridges as are bullets between 150 and 168gr. Very few rifles in .308 or .30-06 will not shoot MOA at least to 200 yds with a load of those components. Maybe not the optimum load for your particular rifle but you will find something that will be perfectly adequate for deer and likely Elk.

So if you see some rifle dies...

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 08-13-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Methane View Post
All the hours flying a screeching Garrett turboprop (Imagine seven hours of Chlamydia Harris shrieking at a political opponent) and I have no issue hearing the Dillon whiner (well, it is too high pitched to be a buzzer)! What in the world did you listen to, Skill Saws? Doesn't matter, seems like you have a work-around for it...

Vietnam. Rifle fire left side - up close and personal.
I'm completely deaf on my left side, down over half on the right.

I didn't realize how dependent I was on lip reading - until everybody put on masks.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:25 PM

I made a little over 175 rounds tonight in about an hour - on my first run.
With the Lee Classic turret press that hour would produce 50 rounds.

It feels like driving a truck, compared to the Lee Classic sports car.
But that's to be expected.

There's a lot of stuff goin' on when you pull the handle!
All the feels walk all over each other.

But I can feel the primer seat on the push.

It took me longer than I'll admit to figure out the primer system.
Who thought that mess up?

For years I've worked hard with primers to teach them to roll over on their
little backs and expose their tender under bellies.

Now ya gotta make them play turtle?
Good luck with that!
(Okay I ordered a cheap flip tray from Amazon)

But pick the primers up - one-by-one?
We're doing THOUSANDS of these.
Even Noah did it two-by-two.

I can load 200 primers in the Lee Safety Prime thingy in a minute.

Somebody has to have a cool trick to simplify primer loading!

Dillon powder measure:
Out of a dozen weighed drops the weights were all well within +/- .1 grains.
That's pretty gross compared to what I normally do.
But for commercial grade ammo that should be fine.

380 cases really mess up the sequence, but I'm detecting them by feel now.

It will take some getting used to.
But I like it already.
Wish I had done this years ago!

Yea Blue!
Old 08-14-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Even Noah did it two-by-two.

I can load 200 primers in the Lee Safety Prime thingy in a minute.

... like Alliant’s APS strips, which used the packaging to load primers?

Much like all technology: there are plenty of better ideas. It’s not enough to be better.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:09 AM

Well read the first post. As usual, the poor sap bought a Lee, got screwed, (well, so did I, as I "couldn't afford a Dillon" either! Yeah, right!) whining about it, whines he "can't afford a Diiion".

OK, went to Lee web site just now, MSRP of Lee Load (of something alright!) Master junk press, stripped, just bare press, useless Lee two year warranty (go read it for your self) they don't stand behind and after two years of NOT repairing your press will charge you 50% of MSRP to, hopefully, but don't bet on it, repair it - $260.

Went to Dillon web site, MSRP of 550 Basic stripped press/WITH LIFE TIME (no matter who currently owns it or how old) warranty they DO STAND behind - $300.

Hmmmm, Lee Load Master that does 100 rds, barely, in hour and a half, for $260, 25% resale value of new, or Dillon 550 that does 400 rds effortly in one hour. Extra $40, which is "too much to pay" for LIFE TIME warranty, 95% of retail resale rate, being happy to sit down at reloading press.

OK, OK, yeah I started with the basic presses, with nothing, what about the full monte? Huh? Huh? Huh? What about that smart guy?!

OK, Lee Load (of crap) Master press, with stuff you are likely to throw away (I do like the disk measure and dies), like the so called "Perfect Powder Measure" doesn't work - period. Been told it can be rebuilt/reworked/tinkered with for about three times the cost to buy new, to make work. Funny how none of them do that when some who is not the owner is watching them however. 2 year warranty they DO NOT stand behind, after 2 years, half of current MSRP to maybe/hopefully/probably won't repair/replace, but don't bet on it as it didn't work when new anyway, being messed with isn't likely to improve it any. MSRP - $400.

Cost of top of the Line Dillon 550C press, LIFE TIME WARRANTY (no matter how old, no matter who bought it first, no matter if it went through a house fire, etc., etc., they repair it FREE!) MSRP - $457.

WOW! A whopping $57 difference to be happy, have something that actually works, if something breaks is repaired/replaced with a smile. Guy at my club bought a Dillon Square Deal used, used it for 20 years - ever seen ANY Lee press that is used, regularly, or at all for that matter, for 5 years, much less 20 years, that sill works, period? Me neither! Broke a link, sent it back, got a new press back. He was HAPPY! Try that with a NEW Lee press and see what happens! So, barely 100 rds/hour and half of fighting junk, 400 rds easily an hour, and see if $57 is "too much to pay" for quality that your grandchildren will still be using! It is?! PLEASE!

Stop whining, throw Lee away (why saddle someone else with that POS?!) and buy a Dillon!

Last edited by Jennifers; 08-14-2020 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:55 AM

Dillon 550 press

I own several progressive presses, but the D 550 is my workhorse press. I use this for numerous calibers, and have eight tool heads with 8 Dillon powder measures! (I have accumulate this over the years....LOL)

I mainly use the D 550 for experimenting and developing new loads for my pistols and rifles......

Most of my competition loads are 9mm. So I have two tool heads for my Dillon RL 1050, and load 9mm on one and .38 super on another.....

I purchased my RL D1050 at the end of the first year they came out on the market, after reading some excellent reviews of those that were using this "new at the time" press! I sold some guns to get the press, which at that time, was roughly $1,400 dollars..... Once the press was set up with 100 primers in the tube, brass in the case feeder hopper, and bullets in the reloading tray, I could make 100 rounds in roughly 8 minutes without hurrying! With my D 550, it takes about 15 minutes to make 100 rounds....which is not bad, but the D1050 is best!
Old 08-14-2020, 06:30 AM

Cavedood,

Try the Frankford Arsenal Vibra Prime. There’s a few others too. They zip the primers into the tubes in no time.
You could also get the big blue RF 100.....there’s another $400!
You will now have to add multiple toolheads, quick change of course (with powder drop), lights, trays, blue dipped tool set, roller handle, space age bearings......
Old 08-14-2020, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Cavelamb - you are using the primer pick up tubes from Dillon, right?

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 08-14-2020, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Cavedood,

Try the Frankford Arsenal Vibra Prime. There’s a few others too. They zip the primers into the tubes in no time.
You could also get the big blue RF 100.....there’s another $400!
You will now have to add multiple toolheads, quick change of course (with powder drop), lights, trays, blue dipped tool set, roller handle, space age bearings......
I have a love/hate relationship with my Vibra-Prime. LPP's or SPP's it's a crapshoot. Sometimes it works flawlessly and sometimes it jams every 2-3 primers. When it's working smoothly it's a joy to behold - watching those little lemmings go off the cliff and down the tube.

NRA Life Member
Old 08-14-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I made a little over 175 rounds tonight in about an hour - on my first run.
With the Lee Classic turret press that hour would produce 50 rounds.

It feels like driving a truck, compared to the Lee Classic sports car.
But that's to be expected.
A truck?? At 3.5x the production rate [first time driving] wouldn't that be more like driving a Lamborghini compared to the pinto you just garaged? Let's keep the analogies realistic!

Quote:
For years I've worked hard with primers to teach them to roll over on their
little backs and expose their tender under bellies.

Now ya gotta make them play turtle?
Good luck with that!
(Okay I ordered a cheap flip tray from Amazon)

I don't love it either but after a few sessions, it's surprisingly quick and easy- the cheap flip try is a 2-3 second fix to the turtle game. Hornady and others also make a "vibra" type primer tube loader that you can use with Dillon tubes. I always preload tubes- bought a 6 pack of them years ago and when I'm bored and have 10-15 minutes to kill, I'll load them all up and be ready next time I load.

Glad you like it. And guess what- it only gets better as you get used to it!
Old 08-14-2020, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post

I don't love it either but after a few sessions, it's surprisingly quick and easy- the cheap flip try is a 2-3 second fix to the turtle game. Hornady and others also make a "vibra" type primer tube loader that you can use with Dillon tubes. I always preload tubes- bought a 6 pack of them years ago and when I'm bored and have 10-15 minutes to kill, I'll load them all up and be ready next time I load.

Glad you like it. And guess what- it only gets better as you get used to it!
Same here - as I have 10 minutes here or 10 minutes there that are "being bored" time, I fill another tube for next time I'm going to load. The result is that I always have plenty of primers pre-staged in tubes when I'm ready to crank the loading machine up; definitely saves time, and I have yet to find a need for the Vibra Prime or the Dillon equivalent - all done by hand using the flip tray and pick-up tubes. Easy-peasy!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972

Last edited by Grandpas50AE; 08-14-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:41 AM
More Cowbell...

Quote:

Dillon does.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifers View Post
Well read the first post. As usual, the poor sap bought a Lee, got screwed, (well, so did I, as I "couldn't afford a Dillon" either! Yeah, right!) whining about it, whines he "can't afford a Diiion".

No, Jenny...

I started out on an RCBS Rock Chucker.
Just like everybody thinks we should.

So the Lee was a huge step up in performance.
For a lot less than the price today!
Old 08-14-2020, 09:37 AM

Ordered four small primer tubes - from Titan.
Support your (not so) local reloading shoppe.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:48 AM

I can load a primer tube in about a minute.

Get the Dillon primer tray. It fits those huge Federal packages, it's made of METAL! It's a really solid unit. Since I have two 650's I have two primer trays.

I keep 10 primer tubes of each size on hand. That way I can load up as many as my shoulder can handle to load.

Welcome to the Blue sickness. There's some awesome aftermarket support for the Dillon presses. I've added all kinds of stuff that either make life easier or make it faster.

I'll meet you at Old North Bridge....where ever it might be. Every Patriot should have 100 yards of good strong rope on hand!

NRA Patriot Benefactor.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:01 AM

Thanks, Grunt.
Obviously I'm in good company here.

Made another 100 this morning having coffee.
It's going so fast I had to check supplies.
I'm working on a box of 1000 X-treme 124 RN.
And there is an unopened box of 1000 124 grain Berrys.
Plus a few hundred of my cast 125s.
That will really help replenish the larder.

Just in time, too.
Nothing quite as embarrassing as having plenty of stock but nothing loaded.