Questions re the Bull, Cerakote, and what recoil system it uses - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-30-2017, 02:32 AM

Questions re the Bull, Cerakote, and what recoil system it uses

I am still really considering a Bull. I am curious about a couple of things before I place an order though. Does anyone know how NH's Cerakote holds up and what is it applied over (stainless steel, carbon steel, etc.)?

I am also curious what recoil system the Bull comes with as standard. It looks like it has a full length guide rod, which is fine, but does it come with the flat wire system?

Hopefully Nighthawk Rep can chime in with some more details regarding this model since it is so new. Thanks in advance.

Edit to add: Anyone have pics of their NH with NH's newest version of the ambi safety they are using?
Benchmark Precision SA RO 9mm Operator Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm x2 Wilson Combat: Beretta 92G Brig Tac, Beretta 92G CC STI Staccato P DUO 9mm

Last edited by erf7; 01-30-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:23 AM

You can request Nitrade on a Bull. I think if I was ordering I would go that route for better Longevity
Old 01-30-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheeldoc View Post
You can request Nitrade on a Bull. I think if I was ordering I would go that route for better Longevity
Yup that's an option. I wonder how much it is as an upgrade. Probably a couple hundred bucks.

What are the pros and cons vs Cerakote? I've got a couple 1911s with Melonite finishes (same as Nitride?) and it is a great finish. Does it protect against corrosion better? Something else? As I understand it, Melonite and Nitride will actually bond to and change the chemical structure of the metal whereas Cerakote is sort of like a paint. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Benchmark Precision SA RO 9mm Operator Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm x2 Wilson Combat: Beretta 92G Brig Tac, Beretta 92G CC STI Staccato P DUO 9mm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2017, 11:42 AM

You are correct Nitride and melonite are one in the same also.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 AM

I would agree, Cerakote can look nice but it is a baked on paint job and i think would not be as durable as Nitride. Would have to check to see if there is a up-charge to get the Nitride on a Bull. A dealer friend of mine ordered a Bull for stock and he requested the Nitride finish so i will ask him if it was a charge for it.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:53 AM

Nitride and Melonite also have there downfalls. I have had melonite cloud in me before and it looks terrible when it does. If the gun isn't going to be carried daily I would just stick with the cerokote personally. And knowone will machine anything in a melonite or nitrided gun once the finish has been done as it will destroy there tooling.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:32 PM

Erf, I'll shoot you over a couple pictures of the cerakote wear from my STI Nitro 10, compared to the wear on my Bob Marvel. You tell me which one you think I carry more after seeing the pictures. black Nitride is the way to go!!! Lol
John 15:13 - "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Self-Defense shootings are like a box of chocolates...
Old 01-30-2017, 02:37 PM

Nitride is a NC upgrade. That is from my NH salesman. I believe that is the best way to go on a Bull. The Ceracote color is a new one.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:37 PM

Nice part about cerakote is the enormous amount of color/scheme choices and the fact that it can be easily stripped and refinished in cerakote again or something different entirely.
I like both finishes for what they are and what they do.
I believe if you commit to nitride then your options on refinish (if/when that day comes) is limited.
Oh and I believe cerakote does have a certain amount of lubricity to it.
Robar NP3 would look good on the Bull too.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erf7 View Post
I am still really considering a Bull. I am curious about a couple of things before I place an order though. Does anyone know how NH's Cerakote holds up and what is it applied over (stainless steel, carbon steel, etc.)?

I am also curious what recoil system the Bull comes with as standard. It looks like it has a full length guide rod, which is fine, but does it come with the flat wire system?

Hopefully Nighthawk Rep can chime in with some more details regarding this model since it is so new. Thanks in advance.

Edit to add: Anyone have pics of their NH with NH's newest version of the ambi safety they are using?

The Cerakote that is used on this new model is a new formula from Cerakote that they call "Cerakote Elite". It is more durable than the standard Cerakote. Learn more on this type of Cerakote here:

https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/...erakote-elite/

The recoil spring system that comes standard on the Bull is a full length guide rod with standard coil spring. The flat wire Everlast system can be had if desired though.

I hope this answers your questions. Keep them coming if you have anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 PM

Thank you all for your great responses.

Quote:
I would agree, Cerakote can look nice but it is a baked on paint job and i think would not be as durable as Nitride. Would have to check to see if there is a up-charge to get the Nitride on a Bull. A dealer friend of mine ordered a Bull for stock and he requested the Nitride finish so i will ask him if it was a charge for it.
Can't wait to start seeing these in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonedbrown View Post
Nitride and Melonite also have there downfalls. I have had melonite cloud in me before and it looks terrible when it does. If the gun isn't going to be carried daily I would just stick with the cerokote personally. And knowone will machine anything in a melonite or nitrided gun once the finish has been done as it will destroy there tooling.
I have a Guncrafter Industries No Name CCO .45 with a stainless slide and Melonite frame. I carried that gun for about three years or so and portions of the frame that contacted my body more than others definitely show so wear or "cloudiness" like you mention. It doesn't both me since it was a carry gun for a long time, but I have also heard that some cleaners/solvents can be harmful to Melonite and give it that cloudy look.

If I order a Bull it will get carried some in the winter months, but will probably not see as much carry time as some of my smaller 1911s just due to the fact I can conceal them better especially during the warmer months when my attire is not as bulky as it is right now. I'm leaning towards Cerakote on this build.

That's also a good point regarding having any machining done after a gun has been Nitrided/Melonited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger1 View Post
Erf, I'll shoot you over a couple pictures of the cerakote wear from my STI Nitro 10, compared to the wear on my Bob Marvel. You tell me which one you think I carry more after seeing the pictures. black Nitride is the way to go!!! Lol
Would love to see em brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2see View Post
Nitride is a NC upgrade. That is from my NH salesman. I believe that is the best way to go on a Bull. The Ceracote color is a new one.
Thank you for that info. I do like the new Cerakote color.. pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredg54 View Post
Nice part about cerakote is the enormous amount of color/scheme choices and the fact that it can be easily stripped and refinished in cerakote again or something different entirely.
I like both finishes for what they are and what they do.
I believe if you commit to nitride then your options on refinish (if/when that day comes) is limited.
Oh and I believe cerakote does have a certain amount of lubricity to it.
Robar NP3 would look good on the Bull too.

Good point regarding the ease of stripping Cerakote. Robar NP3 would look pretty cool on the Bull! If I'm not mistaken, that is the finish you went with on your entire T4, correct? Which, by the way, is the coolest T4 I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkRep View Post
The Cerakote that is used on this new model is a new formula from Cerakote that they call "Cerakote Elite". It is more durable than the standard Cerakote. Learn more on this type of Cerakote here:

https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/...erakote-elite/

The recoil spring system that comes standard on the Bull is a full length guide rod with standard coil spring. The flat wire Everlast system can be had if desired though.

I hope this answers your questions. Keep them coming if you have anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for that info NighthawkRep. I would probably order the Bull with the Everlast system as long as I could retain the "front end look" of the Bull (the Bull nose taper with bow tie plug and FLGR).

I think what I'm leaning towards right now is a pretty standard Bull with maybe just a couple of options: Everlast recoil system and omit the NH logo on the thumb safety side of the gun (not a big deal, but if I'm going to place an order I might as well get it exactly how I want it).

Edit to add: Also curious what his new finish option is that I see: "+ $425 Polish all slide bevels, serrations, scallops, frame bevels, slide stop bevel, thumb safety bevel, hammer bevel, barrel bushing if uncrowned barrel, inside and flats of magwell, ends of screws, pins, and match catch. Polish ejection port bevels. Cann..."

Last edited by erf7; 01-30-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:19 AM

Oooooooh it's so glorious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRvzKACyRqM
Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 AM

I really dig that model,as well.
erf7,Looking forward to seeing yours when it comes in

Old 01-31-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredg54 View Post
I really dig that model,as well.
erf7,Looking forward to seeing yours when it comes in

I don't have one on order (yet) and in fact just purchased a different 1911 that I saw pop up today. The NH will have to wait a bit longer
Old 02-13-2017, 07:04 AM

Here is the first one I've seen in the wild. Oooh and it's in stainless Sure is a good lookin build!

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/621151836
Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
^^this
+ (I cannot verify this as their site is not working properly) BUT I do not remember the EVERLAST recoil spring system being included.

when the site is up again, check the list of included items.

the everlast system is NHCs proprietary flat wide recoil system and it is a ver nice thing to have=lower recoil felt

the Bull is a nice gun from what I have seen.

go for it

good luck
Old 02-13-2017, 08:16 AM

That looks good in Stainless. I was trying to picture a hard chrome one, but that gives me an idea.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 PM

Questions re the Bull, Cerakote, and what recoil system it uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
^^this

+ (I cannot verify this as their site is not working properly) BUT I do not remember the EVERLAST recoil spring system being included.

when the site is up again, check the list of included items.

the everlast system is NHCs proprietary flat wide recoil system and it is a ver nice thing to have=lower recoil felt

the Bull is a nice gun from what I have seen.

go for it

good luck

The Bull does not have the Everlast recoil spring system but this is an upgrade option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 AM

Cerakote over Melonite?

I have a Guncrafter CCO done in melonite. Does anyone know if a cerakote finish can be put on top of it? I'm loving the new battle worn finish NH offers and was thinking of getting it done.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 AM

I know this is an older post, been away for awhile. I bought my Nighthawk Enforcer II in the early days ( Titanium frame no less). Not sure what finish was on the slide....looks to be a spray and bake but I could be wrong.....several years of daily carry in a Safariland Serpa at work really took it's toll....heavy wear( bare metal) around ejection port, barrel end of slide as well as the dust cover.....night sights have dimmed badly too. I would definitely go for the nitride if its for a duty weapon.....I plan to get it back to the Nighthawk shop when I get the chance and get new sights as well as the nitride/melonite on the slide. Frame is Ti and has shown zero wear! JMTC

Welcome to Illinois...where weed will be legal....but you still can't get as high as our taxes