Nighthawk Bob Marvel ...unplugged - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 04:16 PM

About the white rear sight dots: I would also prefer a solid black or a Heine Straight Eight.
Maybe with a solvent...
Old 10-30-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erf7 View Post
... but that is why we have so many options so we can pick what we like!!
The option list for this gun is very short: stainless steel.
And if Mr. Marvel says he wants his gun back, my answer will be: μολὼν λαβέ!

Last edited by Birdy; 10-30-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 PM

Once again, exceptional photos that provide the reader a great level of detail on his pistols. It helps me decide on some of the finer aesthetic details I would like on my own guns especially since subcustoms from the Wilson, Brown, Baer, and Nighthawk are quite rare in my neck of the woods.

I share the admiration for the Challis grips. I agree that Brian is an artist who goes to great lengths to make a beautiful set of grips.

On the aesthetics and functionality of the pistol (note my comments reflect personal preferences and tastes):

I echo what Live2ride mentioned regarding the finish. I've seen pics of the pistol in Black Melonite and I much prefer the stainless finish. It makes it really look like I totally different pistol.

I have a preference for fixed sights rather than adjustables. And I really don't like them on a commander length slide. That said, I think these rear sights are more acceptable to me because they have been recessed into the slide. If I would put adjustables on my pistol, I would want it recessed rather than hanging at the end of the slide. I think that is a nice touch which combined with the nice dehorning and the angular cuts on the rearmost sides of the rear sight probably has some benefit should you choose to carry the pistol. I too prefer that the rear sight be in plain black (no dots).

I am a fan of bull barrels. I just love the way they sit in the slide and the look when the slide is retracted to expose the barrel. The proprietary Marvel design has me wondering on its utility however. I read somewhere that the sleeve is supposed to aid in accuracy. I am not sure how that works to achieve that claim. It would be interesting to see comments as to why that would be the case. I would assume that the soft shooting feel would be more a function primarily of the recoil spring system then perhaps aided by the fit of the bull barrel. I don't know if the barrel sleeve has any contribution to this factor.

I actually like the French borders but prefer it done on a pistol with a clean slide (No FCS). I understand the utility of the FCS but I just do not like them aesthetically more so on a commander slide. Like I said these comments reflect my preferences.

The stippling on the top of the slide also is not my cup of tea in general. I understand they are supposed to reduce glare. But in this case, I think aesthetically it seems to contrast too much with the French border. I would have preferred serrations if at all but that might make it look too busy especially since there is a shortened top surface on the slide since the rear sight takes up some of that space.

I absolutely love that the bottom front of the slide along with the recoil spring plug has been rendered to slope or curve away slightly from the top of the slide. I really like this touch it gives the pistol a nice little unique twist to differentiate it from other commanders out there.

I noticed that the slide stop has been finished sans any serrations. I think aesthetically it helps align it with the rest of the pistol especially the French border. Then given that the slide has a unique kind of front and rear serrations, keeping the slide stop smooth seems to me like a good balance to the aesthetics. I just wonder how it holds up in use when one's hands have turned sweaty from shooting. Does the surface (pics make it look quite smooth and the shelf doesn't seem all that wide) provide adequate purchase to prevent the fingers from sliding off should you choose to return the pistol back into battery rather than use the slingshot method?

I do like the way Nighthawk renders their one-piece magwell. In particular I like the way they render the heel or rearmost portion of the magwell. It is again a unique and nice aesthetic rendering that almost makes it seem like a round butt but not quite. That is a nice touch as well.

Lastly, I guess the pics with the challis grips were taken on separate occasions as I noticed two different types of grip screws on the pics. I prefer the turbo screws rather than the DPL (if I have that right). I realize I've seen comments in other posts about the wisdom and practicality of using screws that require an allen wrench to dismantle. But hey, when one bothers to put on formal attire for the grips then it is a must to take the extra step.

I actually have a couple of nighthawks I am waiting on that are supposed to arrive in the next month (or so my dealer tells me). This just helps keep me drooling and dreaming what it would be like to have my pistols in hand.

Once again thanks Birdy for the fantastic pics and level of detail. I appreciate threads like these and any exchanges on the design, rendering and functioning of these pistols as it helps me learn. So let's keep the responses and insights coming!

Last edited by locsmb; 10-30-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 09:30 PM

Bob Marvel nighthawk is a fine piece.And BIRDY"S pics displays it so well. Speaking of the flatwire spring,i have one in my wilson professional and you are right it is very smooth.I installed a full lenth one from wilson in my p14 para and it won't reset the trigger. Hammer comes back allmost all the way but i have to pull the hammer on back for the trigger to reset.When i go back to the other spring 18 lb.it works fine.Any thoughts!Don't know what the flatwire is rated for.

Last edited by KLW1911; 10-30-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-31-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsmb View Post
... especially since subcustoms from the Wilson, Brown, Baer, and Nighthawk are quite rare in my neck of the woods.
Not only there...

Quote:
... So let's keep the responses and insights coming!
Thanks!

You correctly noticed the different screws. Three different sets. It took me several days to take the pics and between the photo sessions I also went at the range.
So I had to full-disassemble/clean/reassemble the pistol many times changing the grips/screws setup.
I also change the grips every time I go to the range. Now you know why I prefer torx screws.

The smooth slide stop is a no-brainer for me (I never have sweaty hands). But I can understand the potential issue.
I use both methods to release the slide. But I don't feel any tactile difference between this slide stop and the standard Nighthawk slide stop (one groove).
Starting with two or more grooves (or checkering), I feel a difference.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
Again, thanks...

Do you mean 17-20#?
No specs for it. How to find out?
Birdy,

I am still trying to figure out flat wire springs.

I see occasional flat wire recoil springs with coils cut to optimize performance. I wondered if the Marvel spring was a standard spring which was easily available or if the spring had coils removed, which might require some experimenting to replace at a later date.

Regards,

Craig
Old 10-31-2013, 10:29 PM

Marvel's Nighthawk springs come from ISMI. http://www.ismi-gunsprings.com/
1984 - 1992
Old 11-01-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
Birdy,

I am still trying to figure out flat wire springs.

I see occasional flat wire recoil springs with coils cut to optimize performance. I wondered if the Marvel spring was a standard spring which was easily available or if the spring had coils removed, which might require some experimenting to replace at a later date.
This one is 5.066" with 30 coils.
The Wilson full-size flat-wire recoil spring is 5.685" with 37 coils.

(everything +/- 1%)
Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks for measuring.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:27 PM

One word: "Schwing!"

Jeff
Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Some interesting info from the Bob Marvel web site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Marvel (web site)
The commander length pistols are government model slides that are cut down to government length. The government length barrel is 4.9 long. The commander length barrel is 4.2.
The reason for cutting down the government model slide to commander length instead of using a true commander slide is reliability. There is a .200 plus increase in the distance the slide travels to the rear with the government slide over the true commander slide. This distance allows the slide to build up speed on the returning cycle before it has to pick up the next round to be fed into the chamber. The added distance also allows more time for the next round in the magazine to be pushed up into position to be picked up by the slide. All of this allows for a more consistant and reliable pick-up and feeding of the round.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:44 AM

whats the point of the threaded on barrel sleeve (or end or cover or whatever you call it)?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM

Looks like there is more than one smith making this model now:

Old 11-20-2013, 06:31 PM

Splendid photography for a splendid firearm - you did it justice. I'm not a big fan of the Commander size (only have one - a DW CCO) but this piece I would be proud to own and shoot. Well done.

Nighthawk Heine 10mm Longslide - Wilson Combat SS Professional & CQB - Les Baer UTC 1.5" - Dan Wesson Valor - Ed Brown Executive Carry II - Dan Wesson CCO
Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 AM

Since they are cutting down government length slides, there is no longer a cut for a barrel bushing lug to hold a barrel bushing in the gun so they have to go with a "bull" style barrel. The cone sleeve allows for more accurate fitting to the slide over an off the shelf bull barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivkka View Post
whats the point of the threaded on barrel sleeve (or end or cover or whatever you call it)?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:20 AM

Your photographic skills are amazing Birdy...in an entirely different realm than most of us mortals who post here. Thanks for the education. As for my newbie thoughts...I love a naked slide without FCS :~} But what do I know?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:45 AM

Whoa. Nice pics! I need a cigarette now... and I don't even smoke! lol.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellabird View Post
Your photographic skills are amazing Birdy...in an entirely different realm than most of us mortals who post here. Thanks for the education. As for my newbie thoughts...I love a naked slide without FCS :~} But what do I know?
Thanks.

No FCS was not an option. Well, almost no options at all!
God Marvel told us the way it has to be, and we mortals (I'm a mortal too), we're not worthy!

I do have preferences, but I like to have different looking 1911(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhShot! View Post
Whoa. Nice pics! I need a cigarette now... and I don't even smoke! lol.
Thank you!

ACW, thanks for answering.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 AM

Another nice detail

Marvel disconnector cut

It smoothly pushes down the disconnector and eliminates the problem of the slide slightly stalling on the disconnector.
It will also improve feeding reliability. The slide will touch and push the round at two points instead of one.

Introduced by Bob Marvel. I believe some other full custom gunsmiths (Joe Chambers) do it.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Marvel disconnector cut

It smoothly pushes down the disconnector and eliminates the problem of the slide slightly stalling on the disconnector.
It will also improve feeding reliability. The slide will touch and push the round at two points instead of one.

Introduced by Bob Marvel. I believe some other full custom gunsmiths (Joe Chambers) do it.

If my memory hasn't failed me, i believe they incorporated the same feature in my heine signature series and possibly my predator 2. I will have to check it again when i do my next cleaning.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
If my memory hasn't failed me, i believe they incorporated the same feature in my Heine signature series and possibly my predator 2. I will have to check it again when i do my next cleaning.
Sorry for giving the wrong impression that only the NH Bob Marvel has this cut.
All my Hawks have it too.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Sorry for giving the wrong impression that only the NH Bob Marvel has this cut.
All my Hawks have it too.
No harm done buddy!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:38 PM

That's pretty cool. I have seen it before, but thank you for the detailed explanation.
Benchmark Precision SA RO 9mm Operator Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm x2 Wilson Combat: Beretta 92G Brig Tac, Beretta 92G CC STI Staccato P DUO 9mm
Old 01-05-2015, 03:08 PM

My Dominator has that too, but I didn't know the utility of it. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:05 PM

Hey did you notice the scratches from the hammer striking the inside of the grip safety? I have one of these pistols but mine is black and it has the same exact scratch. I am just being picky here but if you spend this amount of money on a handgun I would like it to perform without flaw. Other than that I love my Marvel it shoots like a champ well over 1000 rounds with out a single hangup.
Like you I have owned several 4inch 1911's and each of them were unreliable at best. one of them going back to the manufacturer 3 times for brass being shot in my face they never did fix it I made the dealer take it back for an exchange.

Thanks for the great review I have really enjoyed reading it very much!