Otf for work - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 PM

Otf for work

Looking for an OTF for patrol. I carry a Spyderco in my rear pocket and always wanted an OTF. Can’t justify the price for a Benchmade, looked at raven crest tactical but looking for advice on budget friendly OTF’s. Any input appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2019, 01:04 PM

Benchmade’s are certainly expensive. However, I’m a firm believer in “you get what you pay for”. They make some OTF knives for as cheap as thirty bucks. I doubt they will last you very long. I don’t own a Protech OTF knife, but I do own one of their autos and I can tell you that the fit and finish are impeccable. Also, you pay for engineering. Do you want a double or single action? I wanted the ease of a single that’s why I spent the extra money and purchased the Benchmade “Infidel”. Check out BladeHQ.com. They have a huge selection and a very informative website. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:54 PM

I agree that you get what you pay for and cheap OTF's wouldn't inspire confidence for me. I have an Infidel, which is actually a double action OTF since you can deploy and retract with the switch. I actually believe that Microtech beats most companies for OTF's with a few exceptions. I have several and prefer them to the Infidel. They also have models that I believe you can get for less that $200. Here's my current collection (if you can even call it that) of Microtechs minus the one in the middle that I sold. The one on top is a Halo V (single action) and a Scarab (double action) on the bottom.

And for size comparison my MT Scarab next to my Infidel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 01:32 PM

Otf for work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
I agree that you get what you pay for and cheap OTF's wouldn't inspire confidence for me. I have an Infidel, which is actually a double action OTF since you can deploy and retract with the switch. I actually believe that Microtech beats most companies for OTF's with a few exceptions. I have several and prefer them to the Infidel. They also have models that I believe you can get for less that $200. Here's my current collection (if you can even call it that) of Microtechs minus the one in the middle that I sold. The one on top is a Halo V (single action) and a Scarab (double action) on the bottom.

And for size comparison my MT Scarab next to my Infidel.

First off, love the name “Huevos” . 2ndly, thank you for correcting me regarding double and single action knives. You could of really roasted me for posting such incorrect information, but you were very nice to just state the facts. As you can tell, I have just got into the knife game and bought all five of these knives in the last month. I also have heard Microtech are a real bang for the buck. Hopefully the OP can get a good idea after reading and seeing what you and I have. Good day to you Sir. Very nice collection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2019, 01:40 PM

No sweat. In the end we're all brothers on this forum and I try to treat everyone with respect. Another piece info you might find useful, the center knife in my photo that I mentioned I had sold is a DA side opener. It can be deployed with the auto button or manually. There are many versions of this with some being auto deployed by sliding the scale or bolster. Those knives just look like a manual knife for whatever reason I can't imagine... The 2 knives on the bottom are examples of these.

Last edited by Huevos; 08-14-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:46 AM

Ended up getting a Microtech UTX85. I ordered a Ravencrest but, after a week and a half with no shipping I found this one for $100 more and ordered it. Called Ravencrest to cancel my order and their customer service was, to be nice, very rude. Glad I went with the Microtech, it is solid and had it within 4 days. The low profile glass breaker is awesome since I hate the generic pointed ones since I always scratch my hand on them. Ended up that this knife goes in my jeans after work and back in uniform pants for work. Love the size and there is almost no blade play in it. Super sharp out of the box and the coating is holding up very well.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:10 AM

For work purposes, and the chance you’ll lose it on a foot pursuit, you can’t beat the Lightning OTF. They’re cheap, pretty damn reliable, hold an edge decently and if you lose it, you’re out $35.

I’ve had one for about two years. Zero issues with the action.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrider512 View Post

Ended up getting a Microtech UTX85.. Glad I went with the Microtech …
Nice knife. You have a family connection to the 17th Airborne Division? My uncle was a "plank holder".
Old 09-20-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
Nice knife. You have a family connection to the 17th Airborne Division? My uncle was a "plank holder".

Not that I am aware of

Old 09-23-2019, 08:04 AM

If your going to stake your life on a knife, make it a Microtech.
Attached Thumbnails
My new Microtech Knife .jpg.jpg  
Old 09-26-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS3B View Post
Benchmade’s are certainly expensive. However, I’m a firm believer in “you get what you pay for”. They make some OTF knives for as cheap as thirty bucks. I doubt they will last you very long. I don’t own a Protech OTF knife, but I do own one of their autos and I can tell you that the fit and finish are impeccable. Also, you pay for engineering. Do you want a double or single action? I wanted the ease of a single that’s why I spent the extra money and purchased the Benchmade “Infidel”. Check out BladeHQ.com. They have a huge selection and a very informative website. Good luck.

Nice collection of fine cutlery
Old 09-26-2019, 07:17 AM

Microtech halo is what you seek.
Go big or go home
Attached Thumbnails
20190707_120052.jpg  
Old 09-26-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy phil View Post

Go big or go home

Nice!!
Old 09-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTK7 View Post
Nice collection of fine cutlery

Thank you fine Sir
Old 11-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Foxrider: You won't regret snagging that Microtech. I have the full size version along with the usual assortment of other auto's from Benchmade, Gerber, etc.

The Microtech is most likely the leader in OTF's, and after some time with mine, I can see why. One feature I really like is the fact that the springs are at rest when deployed or retracted; a very nice feature.

The fit, finish and overall engineering of these knives is like a fine watch, but robust, unlike a fine watch.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:18 PM

The Microtech is a good choice.

Before I had an OTF I thought they were more cool factor than anything else. We had a Cobra Tech OTF that went out for sale at the pawn shop I used to work at and I got it to try them out . It was the larger one. I liked it enough that I bought their smaller version online and got the D2 steel blade option plus an American flag cerakote just because I wanted it.

First off, I found that for what I was doing the knife was really handy. I could pull it out of my back pocket, deploy the blade, even in a tight spot, cut, and *click* blade back in and back in the pocket. No having to fold anything while doing something else. I took early retirement back in April, but that CT still rides as EDC in my back pocket. I finally got around to doing a half-azz sharpening on it when I was doing some kitchen knives on a 1x30 a few weeks ago as an afterthought after a long time between sharpenings and it's doing just fine. I'm getting my money's worth and then some out of it.

That said, I know a fellow who has some MicroTechs and they are very nice. One thing is that they are a good bit lighter than my CT. Not that the CT is a bother to carry. Even the big one carries well. But the MT is a lot more sleek. Think of the Cobra Tech as a Rock Island Armory 1911 (which I have and have had a few of and they run great) and the MicroTech as a Colt (which I also have) or even Dan Wesson (had). You get more with the MT, but for the money the CT does a fine job and has held up well as an EDC blade, especially with the D2 upgrade.

So there are some of the less expensive OTFs that will do a good job. However, if you can or are willing to spend the money, as it appears you did, get the MicroTech and smile on. If like me, the CT does the job and has proven to be a good workhorse EDC, enjoy that too and smile on. I won't say "It's just as good as a..." There are differences. It's just a good knife on it's own and is what it is. Like a RIA 1911.

A couple of shots. First is the large with the smaller one I EDC.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then a size comparison of the EDC. I also carry the SAK Alox Farmer in the front right pocket EDC.

If I bump into a sweet trade on a Microtech, like I did on the Benchmade Mini beside the CT, I'll jump on it and count it good. But I've been pretty happy with the OTF I have and use. I've mostly been surprised at just how handy and useful an OTF knife can be for daily use where I used to think it was just a tattykool toy.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 11-06-2019, 04:54 PM

I've got a Ravencrest, no issues with shipping or customer service. I've been carrying it for a while now, at least a year, haven't had any trouble with it, functions exactly as advertised, holds an edge. The only thing I can think of that I'd change would be for it to be lighter, it's got some weight to it. Other than that it's been great, I think it was about $135 so the price is right.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 11-06-2019, 05:53 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy phil View Post
Go big or go home
HALOs look cool and are cool, but they require two hands to retract the blade.

I will take my Ultratech and Scarab over a HALO anyday. And I own a HALO, but it gathers dust.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:07 PM

As for me, I have some autos.

But if it gets down to it. I will stick with my fixed blade knives any day of the week.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02401.JPG   DSC02495.JPG  
Old 01-14-2020, 07:11 PM

I have a Benchmade Infidel and a Microtech OTF autos. I also have a Protech auto and that knife opens with some authority. I am currently waiting for the postman to deliver a Protech God father ). I think you will be fine with what ever knife you choose. It is just like every thing else in this world, you get what you pay for.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:18 AM

This video should tell everyone the difference betweeen a real Microtech OTF and a look alike Microtech Knock off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrKniY85tto&t=149s

Last edited by snapshot2017; 05-03-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:22 PM

This video give a pretty good look at different OTF's and price ranges...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN8PDfEbZw4
Old 05-05-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
HALOs look cool and are cool, but they require two hands to retract the blade.

I will take my Ultratech and Scarab over a HALO anyday. And I own a HALO, but it gathers dust.
When i was selling Microtech knives the HALO was the only one, that some customers almost got badly injured when trying to operate them, the store owner told me not to allow anyone to do anything except look at them.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot2017 View Post
This video should tell everyone the difference betweeen a real Microtech OTF and a look alike Microtech Knock off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrKniY85tto&t=149s
That's a very convincing video! Thanks for sharing!
Well, yes, I have a few guns...
Old 05-08-2020, 06:48 AM

I think the OTF knives are cool.

Having carried a "patrol knife" for over thirty years I never found one that was up to the task of being a true working knife. The blades always have a little play in them. The side opening autos I have used from the major manufactures like Benchmade and Gerber are rock solid.

I always encourage my employees to use the best tool for the job. If money is an issue, work a little overtime somewhere and get that tool. I can think of three times in my career that I needed a strong sturdy knife at work. I do not think an OTF knife with the thin blade and a lockup that has play in it would have risen to those occasions.

But it is a good thing this is a free country and you get to choose the tools you want to carry.

I bought a Benchmade Rukus 2 a while ago and it is the most solid auto knife I have ever owned. The politics of the company do not wow me but the knife sure does. As I write this it occupies my uniform pants pocket. I am going to buy a second one for the drawer in case something happens to this one.