next 1911? ruger or springfield, or... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-20-2014, 08:30 PM

next 1911? ruger or springfield, or...

I have an RIA and love it, but I dont know if it will hold up in the long run on account of the materials.

Most popular 1911s will be illegal for sale in CA January 1st, so it might be now or never to get a lifetime-grade 45.

I fondled an SR1911, and i own other Rugers, but the trigger was gritty, and the firing pin stop was loose. Materials and machining were top notch, compared to the RIA.

My research also pointed me at the springfield range officer, which i've never fondled. The plus for this pistol is the target sight on the rear. The downside is also the target sight digging in to my love handles.

intended use is at the range, so accuracy is paramount. Springfield has an edge here? I'd also bring it on fishing/camping expiditions.

or stick it out with the RIA? Its incredibly impressive for the price. Anyone ever shoot one out?

thanks for your observations,

edfardos
Old 05-20-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Most popular 1911s will be illegal for sale in CA January 1st, so it might be now or never to get a lifetime-grade 45.
What makes you think that? The same 1911's that are on the list now will stay on the list.

No new laws have been passed in Calif. that would eliminate 1911's from the list so long as the maker continues to pay the maintenance fee as they have in the past 6 years when new 1911's were precluded from testing to get on the list as a result of not having a mag disconnect.

Last edited by Kruzr; 05-20-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:42 PM

Dang, i meant to post this in general gun discussions.. sorry.

AB1964 will, close the single shot exemption loophole, and the pistols i mentioned will be illegal for sale as new, january 1st. Ruger isn't paying CA for the priviledge to sell products in this state. The springfield is also curently illegal unless its sold with a 6inch barrel and has a mag block installed.

So this development is making me look now.

thanks,
edfardos

Last edited by edfardos; 05-20-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 08:54 PM

Yes, if you are going to do an SSE, then you need to get it done before next year. BTW, there are still plenty of quality 1911s on the list that would be a step up from either the SA or the Ruger if you have the budget.

Baer, Nighthawk, Wilson and Brown all have guns on the approved list.

Last edited by Kruzr; 05-20-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfardos View Post
I have an RIA and love it, but I dont know if it will hold up in the long run on account of the materials.

s
what materials are you referring to in particular, Ed?
Pitch the stock ext'r and buy Bulletproof or Hardcore , put quality springs in it and shot the snot out of it

there are several guys in the RIA forum that have well over 30K rnds thru theirs

as to your choices, no knock on Ruger, but I like Springfield

..L.T.A.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:01 PM

Doesn't Dan Wesson have at least one 1911 on that list?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:12 PM

I am not up on the Cally rules, I am in the great state of TEXAS. I to bought a cheap GI RIA to test the 1911 waters. I got hooked. So i planned my next purchase as an upgrade. I decided what would be a good next step up (springer,kimber,S&W, or Ruger) i should hold out and save a little more and i bought a new Colt 1991 Commander in SS. Reason being those damn ponys hold that re-sale value. Just something to think about. Good luck and move to TX asap.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
what materials are you referring to in particular, Ed?
Pitch the stock ext'r and buy Bulletproof or Hardcore , put quality springs in it and shot the snot out of it

..L.T.A.
already done and done... still has a lot snot left in it i suppose. I just dont want to kick myself for not uprading while i could.

thanks for all the tips guys, maybe i'll pose the question in the correct fourum next time...

edfardos
Old 05-22-2014, 12:23 AM

I have both, a Range Officer and a 5" SR1911. Out of the box, the Springfield had a much better trigger, the Ruger trigger felt gritty with a fair bit of creep. After about 500 rounds the Ruger trigger felt better than it did when new, but still not as crisp as the Springfield's. I also had a fair number of FTF's early on with the Ruger, but that cleared up over the course of a few trips to the range. The Springfield fed and ejected reliably from day one. I like the sight picture with the novak style 3 dot sights on the Ruger better than the sight picture on the Range officer (all black).

After about 1000 rounds thru the Ruger the front sight flew the coop. I wasn't surprised, as I had read that that's not exactly an uncommon problem with SR1911's. What did surprise me was the quick turnaround in getting it fixed. I contacted Ruger CS on a Monday morning, shipped it off to them on Tuesday, and had the pistol back on Friday. I'm sure that being in Phoenix and the gun only having to go to Prescott and back played a big factor in the quick turnaround, but still, that's good service.

Ironically, the front sight on my Range Officer just about came off during my first range session with it. I was field stripping and cleaning it when I got home, the front sight was still on it, but sliding from side to side. The pin holding it in place was nowhere to be found. I sent it back to Springfield that day and asked them to replace the original front sight with a fiber optic one. Got it back two weeks later with a Dawson Precision front sight, which is a huge improvement and completely addressed my sight picture challenges. I hoped they would give me the front sight at no charge for my troubles with a brand new gun, but they charged me $65.00 for it. No big deal, I had planned to replace the sight from day one anyway.

As far as fit and finish goes, they're pretty comparable, with the edge going to the Springfield as far as fit, and the edge going to the Ruger regarding finish. I really like the matte stainless finish on the Ruger, it looks great and it's easy to clean. I'm not a huge fan of the Parkerized finish on the Springfield, but that is a more traditional finish for a 1911.

Overall, you really can't go wrong with either one. If I had choose one over the other I think I'd go with the Springfield. Out of the box (at least in my experience) it's more reliable and has a better trigger. Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:48 AM

If I had to have a pistol to last the rest of my life, it would be a Springfield Mil-Spec.

Use it as a base gun in a few years.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Banned

I have no doubt I would opt for Springfield.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM

Springfield all day every day. If you like Rugers better, more power to you, but as far as quality vs dollars there's no contest.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the continued insights guys! Better fit on sprg, better finish on ruger. Trigger and sight diff too. I guess if i wanted it all, i'd get a sprgTRP. (CA legal), but the wife would likely shoot me with it when i got home.

i took the RIA out yestersay too, great trigger, runs like a jack hammer.

still pondering! Leaning towards sprgRO, or just keeping the RIA tactical.

edfardos
Old 05-23-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzr View Post
Yes, if you are going to do an SSE, then you need to get it done before next year. BTW, there are still plenty of quality 1911s on the list that would be a step up from either the SA or the Ruger if you have the budget.

Baer, Nighthawk, Wilson and Brown all have guns on the approved list.
What's an SSE? 6" barrels and mag blocks installed? what the hell? I'm from Texas so that all seems crazy to us
Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 AM

Probably best deal on a SA RO ever seen in 5 years.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...earms/Handguns
Old 05-23-2014, 11:16 AM

I'd keep the RIA and get a SA Milspec.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:36 AM

Ok, I dare you to wear out that Rock. But....if'n ya wanna UP-grade, definitely the Springer. Maybe TRP?
Old 05-23-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfardos View Post

still pondering! Leaning towards sprgRO, or just keeping the RIA tactical.
does it "have" to be an either/or thing?
I'm a RIA fan, (owned four) they build a solid shooter , but resale value is less than stellar ..and you'll take a BIG lose on it if you trade it in at gun shop
BEST case scenario is keep it AND get the Springer, if that's at all financially feasible

..L.T.A.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:08 PM

Springfield. You can build a barstock custom like my nm milspec or get a dw.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:55 PM

So not a lot of love for the ruger. The sr1911 and sprgRO are rougly the same price which is why i mentioned them. My ruger redhawk and p944 are all stainless, but if it's less accurate and has a gritty trigger, i should go with the parkerized springfield. Function before form right?

Only 7 months before they're both illegal in the great stat of california,

edfardos