Colt Series 70 Repro Unreliability Problems - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-20-2014, 06:16 PM

Colt Series 70 Repro Unreliability Problems

Bought a Colt Series 70 Reproduction government model a year ago. It would jam once every couple of magazines, so a few hundred rounds of this and I sent it back to Colt. The hammer would also drop to half-cocked sometimes when releasing the slide on an empty chamber. Colt fix this and (supposedly) with the jamming issues.

I finally shot it today, and it was flawless except for one round. After the 7th shot of the 8 round Wilson Combat magazine, the slide locked back and the 8th round was left sitting on top of the empty magazine. Is this a magazine issue? If so, why do 1911's seem to have more magazine issues than other pistols? It also failed to lock back once with one of the Colt 7 round magazines (which it did sometimes even before sending it off, probably a mag issue)

Also, I'm considering buying another 1911 for self defense. Which one is likely to be totally reliable out of the box? It needs to be totally reliable. Did I just get a lemon from Colt?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:00 PM

Send it to the best custom shop you can afford and forget Colt all together messing with it.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Send it to the best custom shop you can afford and forget Colt all together messing with it.

So you think it's a gun problem, not a magazine one...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncatfish12 View Post
. Is this a magazine issue? If so, why do 1911's seem to have more magazine issues than other pistols?

Maybe it is a magazine issue, even if it says "WILSON" on it. It's just something about the "one size fits all" concept that may be the problem here.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:52 PM

Take the Magazine out and sell the Colt and go buy a Kimber, Sig, or anything else that the mag will fit in.
I had a series 70 Gold cup. spent as much money as it cost to get it to perform up to its reputation. When the $$$$ reached $900, Back in the 70's I cut my losses and got rid of it.
I still have a Plain Jane Series 70 I purchased around 1980 from a friend of my dads widow that had't had a box of cartridges through it. Never had a jam, it doesn't care whose mag you shove up the grip. It always cycles and goes bang with hard ball, wad cutters and all the premium ammo I have been able to afford.
Colts are like women, if they like you they purrrr if not, it's not going to work no matter what you do.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:02 PM

They all have issues at this price point. Some more than others, but it is hard to guess which that might be . I'd guess it is a gun issue vs a mag issue. And there's probably issues you haven't noticed yet besides. Have someone reputable go thru it.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
They all have issues at this price point.
Is this really true? I've had 2 1911's. A Springfield Loaded and now this Colt. They both aren't too reliable, so I am starting to question the 1911 as a serious defensive pistol.

I don't see how the 1911 as a design could be considered for defensive use if you have to fork out $2000 or more to get a reliable one.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:02 PM

FWIW, I have a old 1991 Commander that I recently picked up - goes bang every time and functions well with Colt, Kimber and Wilson mags. Actually the same can be said of my RIA and my Kimber. For me, nothing shoots as well as a 1911 but they take some getting used to and they're not for everyone.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
they take some getting used to and they're not for everyone.
I shoot a 1911 better than any other pistol. But, reliability is paramount.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Is this really true? I've had 2 1911's. A Springfield Loaded and now this Colt. They both aren't too reliable, so I am starting to question the 1911 as a serious defensive pistol.

I don't see how the 1911 as a design could be considered for defensive use if you have to fork out $2000 or more to get a reliable one.
It's a good thing the US government had $2,000 to blow on each M1911A1 pistol they bought during WW2 just to get a reliable one. [/SARCASM]

If you'll search this sub-forum you'll see that reliability complaints with Colts are very rare. They're normally the most reliable sub-$1000 1911 out there, but yes stinkers do happen occasionally. I suggest getting in touch with Brent @ Colt (user name BJT72) and see if he can iron out the problems you're haiving with your Colt. There's no reason why it shouldn't work as well as mine and most everyone else's.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:00 AM
Banned

what kind of jam? Mine stovepiping, I tuned the angle of extractor and works flawlessly now. I tried different extractor from different manufucturers non works! It really needs to be tuned because of the nonlowered port of the series 70s

Last edited by a618; 05-21-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:43 AM

Pages can be, and have been written on 1911 magazines and their interaction in the feed cycle. There is a LOT of excellent analysis that can be found on this forum if you care to read. The advise I offer comes from experience and what I've learned here.

From your description, your problems sound magazine related. To start, make sure your magazines are clean, dry and free from lubricant, magazines do not need to be oiled.

The premature lock-back can be shooter induced as well as a sign of a tolerance problem. If you use the aggressive isosceles, thumbs forward grip, you may be inadvertently hitting the slide lock. Or, the bullet nose can be hitting the slide lock lug. This is easy to check, just look for signs of jacket material on the lug...

As far as the Wilson mag, you didn't say which model, but I'll guess its a version of the 47D. For a long time the Wilson 47 (7rd) was the "gold standard" of magazines. When they created 47D (8rd) they did so by modifying the follower and shortening the spring in order to fit in the extra round in the standard length magazine tube. I find the 47D spring to be weak right out of the package. This weak spring tension can allow the last round to squirt out of the magazine under recoil. Sort of an inertia feed...

I still swear by the Wilson 47 (7rd) magazine and if I find good used 47D's (8rd) magazines, I "convert" them back to 47's using the Wilson rebuild kit.

If you must have 8rd magazines, go with the Wilson ETM's or other magazine with the extra tube length to accomodate the extra round.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Banned

Like BBoss says, a significant cause of premature lock back is the shooter bumping the slide stop. When the lock back occurs with only one round remaining, a weak magazine spring may have allowed a partial inertia feed and the slide stop was bumped from the inside. This has a tendency to occur in any magazine when the spring has become weakened but the incidence is higher when the eight round magazine is really just a converted seven round magazine.
It does not sound like you have a gun problem at all.

Last edited by chuntaro; 05-21-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Fix a word
Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBossman View Post
Pages can be, and have been written on 1911 magazines and their interaction in the feed cycle. There is a LOT of excellent analysis that can be found on this forum if you care to read. The advise I offer comes from experience and what I've learned here.

From your description, your problems sound magazine related. To start, make sure your magazines are clean, dry and free from lubricant, magazines do not need to be oiled.

The premature lock-back can be shooter induced as well as a sign of a tolerance problem. If you use the aggressive isosceles, thumbs forward grip, you may be inadvertently hitting the slide lock. Or, the bullet nose can be hitting the slide lock lug. This is easy to check, just look for signs of jacket material on the lug...

As far as the Wilson mag, you didn't say which model, but I'll guess its a version of the 47D. For a long time the Wilson 47 (7rd) was the "gold standard" of magazines. When they created 47D (8rd) they did so by modifying the follower and shortening the spring in order to fit in the extra round in the standard length magazine tube. I find the 47D spring to be weak right out of the package. This weak spring tension can allow the last round to squirt out of the magazine under recoil. Sort of an inertia feed...

I still swear by the Wilson 47 (7rd) magazine and if I find good used 47D's (8rd) magazines, I "convert" them back to 47's using the Wilson rebuild kit.

If you must have 8rd magazines, go with the Wilson ETM's or other magazine with the extra tube length to accomodate the extra round.
Spot on. +1
Old 05-21-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch View Post
Take the Magazine out and sell the Colt and go buy a Kimber, Sig, or anything else that the mag will fit in.
I had a series 70 Gold cup. spent as much money as it cost to get it to perform up to its reputation. When the $$$$ reached $900, Back in the 70's I cut my losses and got rid of it.
I still have a Plain Jane Series 70 I purchased around 1980 from a friend of my dads widow that had't had a box of cartridges through it. Never had a jam, it doesn't care whose mag you shove up the grip. It always cycles and goes bang with hard ball, wad cutters and all the premium ammo I have been able to afford.
Colts are like women, if they like you they purrrr if not, it's not going to work no matter what you do.
^^^^ should change screen name to Outoftouch.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
That's really good advice to post in the COLT section.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I shoot a 1911 better than any other pistol. But, reliability is paramount.
Well then, you know it's mechanical - that's a plus!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:39 PM

An inertia feed perhaps?? I had similar issues out of a XSE once. I tried 7 round magazines and never had a problem since. Before you send it to anybody, put some rounds downrange with 7 round mags and see if it happens again.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
^^^^ should change screen name to Outoftouch.
LOL... took him all of five posts to endear himself to this sub-forum. I was about to hang my head in shame and apologize for a fellow Son of Virginia, until I realized he was originally from Texas. See Virginia sent our scalawags to Texas to help them get that little concern started, I guess Texas is paying us back...

Last edited by BBossman; 05-21-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Just when you think you've heard it all......
Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
Like BBoss says, a significant cause of premature lock back is the shooter bumping the slide stop. When the lock back occurs with only one round remaining, a weak magazine spring may have allowed a partial inertia feed and the slide stop was bumped from the inside. This has a tendency to occur in any magazine when the spring has become weakened but the incidence is higher when the eight round magazine is really just a converted seven round magazine.
It does not sound like you have a gun problem at all.
What you've said is true. But having said that, the problem can be also made worse if the slide stop isn't fit properly. If it's doing it under recoil instead of because of the shooter's thumb, it could also be an issue with slide stop detent/plunger interaction.

So if the magazine is new, it could still be a gun issue.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Is this a magazine issue? If so, why do 1911's seem to have more magazine issues than other pistols?
Because the people designing modern magazines aren't as smart as the guy who designed the gun.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Loser...........
Colt .38 Super blued
Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 PM

I don't know...just got 70 Series and it was a Blast....several hundred rounds, accurate and no failures...brass in the face a bit, though(!)...I'll be wearin' my hat next time! That goes for Colt SCG, Lightweight Gov't, Rail gun and Commander...not a squeak of trouble...gues I'm just lucky...!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREEMAN View Post
Loser...........