Slight issue with new ED Brown HC Slidestop - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Slight issue with new ED Brown HC Slidestop

Ok, so here is my little issue. I got a new Ed Brown Hardcore Slide Stop for my XSE. I put it in and my slide wont stay locked back after running some snapcaps through some mags (CMC 8rd Power mags) and yes i tried more than one. I put the original stop back in and its perfect...

The package the new slide stop came in says some "slight removal of metal may be required to prevent bullet interference". Where would the metal need to be removed?

I did some searching and found a way to check the amount of contact of the mag follower with the stop lug and will be doing so later, but wanted to post this to see where metal would need to be removed if necessary. just trying to see why this new stop wouldn't keep the slide locked back.

Thanks

Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed.

Quick, call the Amber Lamps!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:05 PM

no one?

Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 PM

What they're talking about is if the bullet of a round is hitting the lug inside the frame a small amount may need to be taken off to prevent premature lock back.

But this isn't the issue you're experiencing. A new slide stop may bind in the slot that straddles the slide or it may hit as it's going up, careful inspection is required to determine what's happening and why. And then careful fitting is required.

LOG

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 10:37 PM

makes sense i think. will looking at it with the slide off do any good for me, or should i just add it to the list of things i want a smith to do for me(install new safeties, etc)?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 PM

First will it go up as far as the slide notch will allow, and do so freely? Determine why it won't with a mag by trying several ways of looking for any interference with it doing so.

LOG

Old 08-19-2009, 04:58 PM

i found the hick-up. a mag with rounds in it will not interfere with the stop so thats a non issue (but a learning experience for me). when the last round is stripped out of the mag, the stop will NOT go all the up up into the stop notch. It seems to bind and not want to rotate counterclockwise the slight bit it needs to to move up. the stock one slides up nice and freely. I did hold the slide back and could push the stop into the notch, but then had a heck of time getting it back down. def seems like that is the problm. i found the pin diameter is larger than the stock when i put my calipers on it.

Am i correct in assuming if i wrap it in sand paper and take just a hair of the diameter of the pin, it will rotate smoother and allow the stop go up into the notch upon lockback??? Does this sound like a normal problem and the proper solution??

Old 08-19-2009, 05:26 PM

No, I wouldn't assume that. First install the slide stop in the frame only and slide an empty mag up and see if it goes up easily. If so, then fit the slide stop lug into the slide stop notch, does it straddle the edge of the slide and go up? Do not remove metal until you know for certain what is going on, by checking one thing at a time. Compare back and forth with the old one if needed to determine the cause. It sounds to me like the slot in the slide stop lug is too narrow.

LOG

Last edited by log man; 08-19-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 PM

makes sense. its late now, but ill check that more thoroughly tomorrow.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:07 AM

I'd not be removing @ny steel from slidestop [email protected] on [email protected] with [email protected] [email protected]
Old 08-21-2009, 07:46 AM

also besides the advice that has been allready offered. measure the lobe with a pair of calipers and compare to your factory one. I had a defective colt one a couple of years ago. bought a Brown hardcore, had the same problem. my cousins kimber was used as a test bed by swapping around s.s. and it was determed the Brown would not work in it. thats when i broke out the calipers. sent the Brown back to Bownells & exchanged for another factory colt made s.s. - problem solved. interstingly the original colt S.S. didn't cause trouble 'till the pistol had about 500 rounds through it. i guess the loosening up made the problem start to show up in an otherwise reliable pistol. (still need to ditch the mim extractor in it though) I suppose thats a good case for the 500 plus rounds break in that some folks recomend to check a firearm out before depending on it.