DETONICS photo thread ~ let's see them! No Chat!! Comments by P/M or email. - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 12:09 PM

Cannot tell on this laptop screen which rear sight it is for sure, have to look at home tonight. But I am sticking with an MC finish which was done by shot peen blasting, that along with the side of the hammer not being polished. It might not be the factory correct sight for this model as the "adjustable" sight was sold as an aftermarket item so anything is possible.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:27 PM

Looked a home and the rear sight looks like the standard fixed factory sight that came on Combat Masters from Bellevue.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:37 PM

The sight is the standard sight. I also have the adjuatable Detonics that is new in a package that came with the gun. The finish is a bead blast over all exterior serfaces. It may be a little rougher than what they do today but not by much.

I needed a Detonics rug to go with it and lucked out Monday morning. One was on eBay and it closed Sunday night. It went for $80.00. I was up around 5am monday and looked up the auction to see what it went for. While on the computer I checked to see if there were any new Detonics listings and sure enough another rug was listed. It had a buy it now price of $15.00 to include shippig. The photos were not good and it was hard to tell much about the soft case. For $15.00 it was worth the risk and I bought it. It came today and it is in excellent condition. The gold Detonics on each side has some paint loss but overall it is really nice.

I hace a good camara but I have not been able to post photos without reducing photo size and pixels. If I can figure it out I will post better photos. Thanks for the replies folks. Brian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian kinne View Post
... It had a buy it now price of $15.00 to include shippig. ...
You suck.

I gotta start getting up earlier.

ML
Old 01-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAAR View Post
My Seattle Mk1, SN C214XX. It's a shooter, with Victory Arms recoil assembly and Pachmayr Grips.

I really like this look, aesthetically speaking. Strictly Bidness!

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for Pachs or Houge for the Combat Master.
Here's the deal. I hope someone will measure center to center of grip screws
and post it. I believe the STI LS9 to have similar dimensions to CM in the grip area. I'd be interested to buy a new or used set anyone has no further need for. I hope I am not steppin too hard,(I don't mean to be rude) on the OPs intention. Lots of beautiful examples here. Made me realize I might find what I can't seem to buy elsewhere. Thanx for any replies. PM or email if you'd like. Thanx again for overlooking the interruption.

BTW: I was foolish to have sold BOTH my CMs, long ago..... very.

Be cordial... yet embrace the warrior mentality,
God Bless Texas and the rest of the US (wherever they are stationed world wide) too.
PG

Last edited by PeterGunn; 01-29-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Sold it about a year ago. I've regretted it since..!

It was in pristine condition and an accurate shooter.

Here's one final pic with custom made African Ebony Grips....

Last edited by los; 01-30-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by los View Post
Sold it about a year ago. I've regretted it since..!

It was in pristine condition and an accurate shooter.

Here's one final pic with custom made African Ebony Grips....

I like that IWB!!! Who made it??
Old 01-31-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhandjohn View Post
I like that IWB!!! Who made it??
Thanks.

The IWB rig is a "Canute". Had it custom made at: http://www.ubgholsters.com
Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 AM

PeterGunn: I measured my grip screw holes, center to center, and came up with about 2.29. Maybe closer to 2.295. Hard to get it exactly right, but those should be close enough for grips anyway.

los: That really was a pristine MK VI!! And the ebony grips look classy.

To both of you: Never should have sold 'em! I'm gonna hold on to mine.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:31 PM

I got one new in 1984 as a backup to the 70 series Colt Gov I carried that I had purchased new in 1974. It was pricey but O.K. as it would work great will the full length Colt mags, and the full length mags gave you a place to put your little finger. Still have it and shoot it every now and again. The only change I made is to put Pachmeyer grips on it, although I still have the checkered wood grips it came with. In 1984 it was about the only game in town, but now there are a lot of other choices and a lot of them are much lighter, being part alloy or composit. Below is my Detonics with a more recent Colt Defender I bought.

And this is just my observation, but a gun of recent manufacture that reminds me of the Detonics when I shoot it is the Glock36. Not sure why.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:22 AM

Here are a few....

9MM MKVI

451 Detonics Mag #7 of 1,000 complete with case and all the stuff....

I have two of em..... Also have 121 of 1000...

This one is my daily shooter... 45ACP/451DetMag 6 inch Scoremaster....

__________________________________________________ ____________

If anybody needs factory mags etc. let me know I may have what you need........ Including 9-MM/34-Super mags......

Last edited by deathompson; 05-28-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Nice stuff Mr. Death.

Dan Wesson CBOB
Detonics USA Service Master Compact
Detonics USA Combat Master
Old 04-20-2009, 10:44 PM

Picked up another one....

Don't know quite what it is yet.....

This is kinda the weird part. The frame was machined all the way thru then a plug put in, machined and numbered later.

Last edited by deathompson; 04-24-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 AM

That's very interesting.

tipoc
Old 04-21-2009, 01:25 PM

You can find out information about those frames by going to the Yahoo Detonics Collector's sight and doing a search. It's an interesting story by one of the original factory gunsmiths.

Apparently, if you shoot it enough, the plug will begin to rotate! Or at least most of them did anyway.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzer98 View Post
You can find out information about those frames by going to the Yahoo Detonics Collector's sight and doing a search. It's an interesting story by one of the original factory gunsmiths.

Apparently, if you shoot it enough, the plug will begin to rotate! Or at least most of them did anyway.
Yah, well my attempt to join the Yahoo click was rejected with specific wording that the decision was final.......
Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 PM

Annuder welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayboyPenguin View Post
Hello, I am new here and here is my new-to-me Detonics MK VI 9mm pitol I picked up yesterday.
Not only rare but outstanding condition! Welcome to the board.

Blaine
aka Deathompson
Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Just received:

Old 05-16-2009, 12:33 PM

Super nice CM Mushinto!

I like the serrated top and front and rear grip treatment.

How does it shoot?

Dan Wesson CBOB
Detonics USA Service Master Compact
Detonics USA Combat Master
Old 05-16-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugedaboudit View Post
... How does it shoot?
Shoots tight but low. Not the fault of the smith as I asked him to replace the front sight with one of equal height. I just need to get a higher rear sight.

ML
Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 PM

Another Seattle Combat Master in 45acp. Sporting grips I made. After outfitting with a Wilson slide stop & thumb safety it has become a very "Sweeeet", and reliable shooter. Has become my CCW.

Fshcop
Old 09-30-2009, 07:06 PM

Thought folks might be interested in a few pics so...

Sight radius. The S&W is an M640 with a 2 5/8" barrel which is longer than the standard J frame snubby barrel. This makes the actual sight radius 3 7/8" long while that of the Detonics is about 1/16" longer.

Relative width and height Detonics, J frame and a Colt Defender. The J frame is thickest through the cylinder area.

Detonics and Defender.

tipoc
Old 10-09-2009, 01:53 PM

I never understood why Colt's decided to use a "bull" barrel and a bushing at the same time on the Officers and Defender-- was it a patent/copyright thing?? The bushing is the main source of trouble in my Officers-- it keeps beating on the bottom of the front sight stem, pushing it up and out of its staking. This last time we recessed it pretty well, so shouldn't happen again, but that it happened at all is a royal PITA.

BTW, I picked up a near-pristine Mark V a while back-- will post some photos when I can. It's a lovely little thing, and it scratches the itch for one that I've had for years now. Now I need a Mark VI. And a Mark I. And . . . and . . .
Series 70 .38 Super/ Series 70 Commander 9x19mm/ Series 80 Gold Cup/ Series 90/II Double Eagle/ Series 80 Officers Stainless/ Series 80 Delta Elite Stainless/ Cobra 2nd Model/ Trooper Mk III/ Old Model Army/3rd Pattern 1903 Pocket/ Lightning Rifle mid-frame/Detonics Mk V/Safari Enforcer/1909 New Service(.38 WCF yet)/1933 DS Nickel 'Fitz"/ 1965 Python/ 1906 New Service, 7" bbl in .45LC/ let me go look, I know there's more . . .
Old 10-09-2009, 05:50 PM

There is no bushing on the Defender pictured above. I don't remember it may be that the early Defender's had a bushing but it was done away with at some point. That may also have been the case on the Officer's but like I said I don't remember exactly.

tipoc
Old 10-10-2009, 09:43 AM

The Defender never had a bushing and has a reputation for better reliability than the OACP according to printed media and my own experience.

ML