1911 build - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 PM

1911 build

I hope this is wear this should be if not move or delete.
I m thinking about building a 1911 I have some smith experience with smith and Wesson revolvers and I now a guy who was a big colt guy who could help if I got in trouble with something. So what parts would you use if it was your build who makes a good frame slide barrel trigger ete.
Do you have any advice for my first 1911 build any parts that you would advise me on getting over some other part?
Thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Do yourself a favor and buy a Caspian frame and slide. Why Caspian, you may ask? Tolerances, which translates into fewer problems when building. As far as the rest of the parts, I like the stuff made by Ed Brown and EGW.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 PM

Since it's going to be your first build then buy a RIA or a Springfield GI. Take the guts out and start over. You'll have a frame that is in spec and a gun that works that you can reference as you slowly swap out and fit parts to. This gives a new builder a safety margin that he otherwise wouldn't have. EGW, ED B., Les Baer, etc. all make excellent parts and you really can't go wrong using them. There are other parts makers that also make quality stuff. Make sure to buy over-sized parts if you want the pistol to be really nice. Even the drop-in parts need to be fitted to some extent.

Caspian frames and slides are great and there is definitely nothing wrong with starting out that way. I think they fit the slide to the frame for you if you ask them and you can get the slide machined for whatever sight options you want, other than that, do everything else yourself if you really want to learn as much as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 06:47 AM

Wait!

Do NOT start with an RIA frame, as their metallurgy and machining precision are often suspect.

Caspian offers best-quality parts, as does EGW and Ed Brown.
And Nowlin and Wilson and Caspian and others.......

Old 04-05-2008, 05:12 PM

tightgroups was right with his "not succinct" post (below) - Got in a hurry and pushed before editin' because I had to rush out. Sorry. Will remedy with this edit . . .

-----------------

While both of the last two posts have arguable merit, I think that this is another gun-board issue where folks can go all the way one way or all the way the other, and in which, as in most such cases, there really do exist shades of grey in between. I build almost exclusively on Caspian, and yea, it's good stuff. However, maybe I'm putting words in partsproduction's mouth, but it occurs to me that maybe he's thought this through a little deeper. Here, we have a specific situation that might lean things over to a Phillipine gun as he suggested.

We seem to have a poster who's just getting ready to get his feet wet in the word of working on / building 1911s. Also, he seems to already have some gunwork knowledge, since he's worked with wheel guns for awhile. That doesn't tranlate much directly to 1911s, but that would give him experience in watching how a gun works and figuring out why modifications are made. He can get that buy starting with a functional 1911 better than with an unassembled slide, receiver and a bag of parts.

So, I think that partsproductions's suggestion may be a better one for him than Caspian, for two reasons. First, he won't have to modify much on the frame or receiver, and therefore, he can add (install) parts as he goes along in more of a drop-in way, and if he fubars one or two, which he certainly will, he'll still have the original parts left to hold him over until he can try again. Second, since he already has some level of experience working on firearms, it should help him to be able to watch and study the completed pistol and how its parts and systems work together, a benefit he won't have starting out with a slide, receiver and bag of parts.

One more thing - my education to date, which is admittedly not nearly as advanced as that of many folks here, suggests that these guns from across the pond are not as bad as the hype about them - that they really can last for a couple of lifetimes in the hands of the average-joe shooter, and that they can even be built over time into a good, reliable custom gun. There are a neat couple of articles over on realguns.net where a fellow there did a pretty darned good job of exactly that.

Just my $.02 worth.

Best,
Jon

Last edited by BigJon; 04-07-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:03 PM

Hey Jon,

What you wrote may not have been succinct but it was definitely spot on! My favorite part was about buggering up parts (spoken like an honest man and boy have been there...and will probably go there again! ) You know I agree with you because I basically wrote the same thing though not as in depth and I think in depth is what was needed. A person just starting out on the 1911 platform would be wise to move slowly and carefully on the first build. It is much, much harder than it looks to build even a half decent 1911 (Boy did I find that out the hard way!)

The right tools and a humble attitude are needed to skin this cat. You've come quite a long way in a rather short time Jon. Your knowledge has increased to such an extent that I truly respect your opinions and your judgment. I did before, don't get me wrong, but I'm impressed at your dogged tenacity to learn about these pistols.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:01 PM

thanks for the help all i think i will go with what BigJon and tightgroups said
i think i will get a new/niceused one and go from there.is it easy to work on the RIA or would it be batter to go with a springfield GI. frist thing i will do is put all new springs in it could i use ed brown springs in a RIA or SA
thanks for all the help
Old 04-05-2008, 11:22 PM

I went with a SA GI because I think the frame and slide are better than the RIA. Lot's of top gunsmiths use SA GI frames/slide combo's for custom builds. You can't go wrong with an SA in my opinion. If you like the vertical slide serrations then go with the GI. If you like the vertical slanted serrations then go for the SA Milspec. The SA Milspec will run you more money but you get extra features like:

Lowered and flared ejection port.
Beveled mag well.
Larger three dot sights.
Front cocking serrations ( I think anyway?).

Maybe a few other things but I'm not sure, check out the Springfield Armory website and you'll be able to compare the two base models.

Good luck and God Bless.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:23 PM

tightgroups how do you like the GI was the GI hard to work on could you do all the mods you wanted with it
Old 04-07-2008, 01:44 PM

I would have to ask "how much money do you have" Cause thats what building a 1911 takes, All of my ordered parts came in last week and I coulda added about a bill to it and had a warrior, but kimbers dont feel right to me and I will only have the chance to have one built once, maybe twice but once for sure. I figure by the time its doneI will be $1500-$2000 into it thats after buying all the parts, paying my smith to build it, and having it hardchromed after running some ammo thru it to make sure its what I want. 500 rounds of ammo cost alot so its included in the 1500-2k price.

Yeah I coulda had a nicer semi custom for this cash, but I can buy one of those anytime, gotta build one at least once.

Last year I tried this out to a lesser extent, purchased a very used Colt series 80 and dumped almost everything but the slide, had this built

And here is what I dropped off with my smith this morning.
Caspian frame/slide, mostly ed brown lower internals with Wilson FPS and brown barrel.

Everyone says building one like this is kinda a waste of money if you plan on selling, dont care to sell, I still have the one from last year and love to shoot it.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM

Kells81 that is one sweeeeeet 1911!!!
i will be doing it over the winter when i can't get to the range a often as know
if i wanted to i could save up and get an ed brown this winter but i would like to learn how to build 1911s